how often do med schools contact colleges to see about violations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hexane19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often do med schools contact colleges to see about conduct violations?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure, but it is a universally bad idea to lie to a medical school and not disclose a violation when directly asked, whether in the AMCAS primary or a secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Before you matriculation you have to submit to both a background check, and the school has to send your final transcript. If there is an undisclosed disciplinary mark on either you're kinda in trouble, like rescind acceptance kind of bad

Reactions: 1 users
I forgot to mention it on amcas. Do you think it's still okay to let the schools know about it via email?
I'm also asking about ALCOHOL violations and not a crimnal felony etc (in regards to the background check)

I forgot to mention it on amcas. Do you think it's still okay to let the schools know about it via email?
I'm also asking about ALCOHOL violations and not a crimnal felony etc (in regards to the background check)
I would contact every school you applied to ASAP. You don't want them to think that you intentionally left out this information and were hoping they wouldn't find out.

By AMCAS's definition - what constitutes institutional action?

I met with a residence hall adviser
It kind of depends on the school. You should probably ask your college to be certain. At some schools, residence hall advisors will call people in if they want to tell those residents to stop doing something before they actually get in trouble. At other schools, getting called in by your residence hall advisor is the first level of institutional action. Did your residence hall advisor say anything about reporting it to the housing department or anything like that? Or that you were being written up or something? Even if not, you should still check with your college to be certain. At my college, a meeting with the residence hall advisor is the first level of institutional action, but some residence hall advisors don't communicate this clearly. Sometimes, at my school, students will be called in by the disciplinary office for a second offense and when the disciplinary office brings up the first offense, the students are completely unaware that the first offense was considered an institutional action.

Long story short: ask to be sure.

I'll give them a call tomorrow. But what do you all think? I met with the residence hall person and did an online course about alcohol - does that sound like institutional action to you guys?

I'll give them a call tomorrow. But what do you all think? I met with the residence hall person and did an online course about alcohol - does that sound like institutional action to you guys?
No, this would be a "pat on the back, off you go" sort of thing at my school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were required to do an online course about alcohol, this is sounding more like an institutional action. At many schools, the only time you would be required to do education or service as a result of policy violations is if you had been given an institutional action. It would sound less likely to be an institutional action to me if you had not been required to do alcohol education.

Reactions: 1 users
Just find out what sort of paper trail this left at your college.

You can often ask to see the entire contents of your permanent record/file at the school.

Inquire discreetly.

Try anonymous email.

Could ask a residence hall advisor.

Look at your transcripts.

Did they make you sign anything that could be in a file?

If this does not put your mind at ease, call the college or go in.

Were you underage or of age getting drunk in your dorm?

I don't know the details of how bad this is, if there is no way for the med school to call your college and find out about this, forget about it.

And that's what you would say if it did come out later.

If this was underage drinking, very very bad.
Anything breaking the law with substances, DUIIs and the like, you can't **** around with.

This is a gray zone, so be sure there was no lawbreaking or record of this if you're not going to tell the schools.

Two parallel routes happening here:

1.) Legal. Relatively straightforward. Were you arrested or charged for a misdemeanor OR felony? Were you convicted of a crime?

2.) Institutional/judicial. It gets kind of muddled here. The best course of action is to contact the department at your school which was most closely tied to your discipline. Who told you that you had to take the class? If it was an RA, contact the Housing Department. Also, the Dean of Students is likely to have a record. You need to contact the relevant departments and ask if you have ANY disciplinary record.

If you answered yes to either of those questions, you need to disclose ASAP. If you are in doubt, it is probably safer to disclose via individually emailing each school. If you get invited to interview or get an acceptance, and the school finds out, it is possible that your acceptance or II will be rescinded.

If you were required to do an online course about alcohol, this is sounding more like an institutional action. At many schools, the only time you would be required to do education or service as a result of policy violations is if you had been given an institutional action. It would sound less likely to be an institutional action to me if you had not been required to do alcohol education.

Agree with the above. It varies by institution, but generally speaking, colleges love bureaucracy, and bureaucracy means paperwork. If someone mandated that you take an online class, someone else probably has a record of you taking it, and that you completed it. Accordingly, there would be a record of why you had to take it. Institutional action is a vague definition, but this sounds like one.

Thanks for the reply everyone. So should I tell AMCAS? Or just the schools directly

I got written up by an RA during my sophomore year and put it on my AMCAS whether it was institutional action or not. My application is honest and completely me, and only the ADCOMs can judge me! If it was a minor thing like mine, I'm positive that it won't make a huge difference (I had to take an alcohol course and do some community service). I got my first II the other day.

Did you ever see if you actually had "institutional action" on your undergraduate record?
Do you think I should tell AMCAS or the schools directly or both?

Did you ever see if you actually had "institutional action" on your undergraduate record?
Do you think I should tell AMCAS or the schools directly or both?

I contacted them and they said they technically considered it institutional action, but they said the important thing is that it was a one-time deal and I am in good standing with the university now. I would contact AMCAS and update them. If they cannot update your app for whatever reason, then contact schools. I only say this because 2 of the ~25 I applied to required me to send a detailed letterhead of my institutional action directly from the Dean of Students office (BU & Temple, I believe wanted them).

How would you guys tell the schools about a problem IA that was forgotten to be mentioned in AMCAS?
I'm sorry I forgot about it?

How would you guys tell the schools about a problem IA that was forgotten to be mentioned in AMCAS?
I'm sorry I forgot about it?
You could just say that you didn't realize that it was an IA (which it sounds like you honestly didn't), and that you immediately started notifying schools once you found out that it was an IA.

Disclaimer: I have no idea whether or not this is an acceptable explanation, it's just the best I could come up with.

You could just say that you didn't realize that it was an IA (which it sounds like you honestly didn't), and that you immediately started notifying schools once you found out that it was an IA.

Disclaimer: I have no idea whether or not this is an acceptable explanation, it's just the best I could come up with.

@Goro @gyngyn Do you think that is an acceptable "reason" for when I tell schools

Do you think telling them "late" (after AMCAS and after secondaries submitted) - will that be lethal?
P.S. Goro if I get accepted to your school - I'd love to take you out for a drink or nice steak dinner. All of SDN owes you so much for all your help.