How often do you check the time when doing a verbal section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiley27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I'm checking how much time I've spent/have remaining too often. Like for example I'll check the time after I read the first passage to see how long I spent reading the passage, then I'll check it again after I've done all of the questions for the first passage to see how long I've taken to do the first passage. And each time I check the time I lose my focus and I feel like it makes me waste even more time by checking the time.

Any rules that you guys have for timing? Like only check the time after you've completed 3 or 4 passages but not before? Any suggestions on this? My timing is horrible :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I know most testing companies don't suggest this but I used to glance after every passage. I always gave myself 8 min/passage and left 4 min as a buffer but I always ended up taking more than the 8 minutes after my 4th/5th passage. I just have no concept of time when I'm testing so I had to keep an eye on it. Kaplan suggests something like 17 min/2 passages and check after every second passage.

I guess you should try out a few prac tests (preferably non-AAMC) so you can see what works for you.

Edit: When I say after the "passage," I mean after passage and completing the questions. Sorry for ambiguity.

Last edited:
It only takes a second to look and knowing how you need to pace yourself is more important than the second you lose to look away.

I have key numbers in my head for when I need to get a move on. I usually use 52/44/36/28/20/10 which gives me a bit of extra time for the last two passages because nothing is worse than approaching the end and realizing you have to speed through it. These aren't strict numbers (I don't immediately move to next passage) but rather used as good guidelines.

Check time after you're done with reading and questions. Give your mind at least 10 seconds break between passages to clear it up. with this strategy, I usually have 1.5 to 3 minutes left.

Members don't see this ad :)
i always wanted to be finished or wrapping up passage IV by the 30 min mark.

it got me killed on the real thing, i finished reading passage IV at 31 min left and **** the bed because the last 3 passages had >50% of the q's.

I try to finish the first passage within 6-7 minutes. At that point I just go stay at that same pace give or take a few minutes. I think slow starts are the biggest killers.....

I try to finish each passage within 7 minutes, but I give myself some more time if the passage is difficult. Once the timer goes down to 53 minutes, I know I should move on to other passages and mark the remaining questions if there are a few i have trouble with. Eventually with practice, you stop looking at the timer so much.

I gave myself 8 minutes to do each passage, and I would check the time at the end of every passage to see where I was. This also gives 4 minutes of "cushion" time if you get stuck on a particularly hard passage.

I think it was in one of the EK books but I check after the 4th passage; if I have at least 25 min left, I know I'm at a good pace otherwise I know I should go at a slightly faster pace for the remaining few passages. I feel like it can get tense after checking after each passage especially when you realize you spent a little longer than the recommended 8 mins or so. Questions aren't evenly divided by passage so I find it better to check after a few.

This depends.

-If you know you're going at a good pace (adequately fast but not rushed), don't look at the clock until you've finished!

-If you feel like you are rushing, going too slowly, and that your timing's off, then either: 1. Look at the clock immediately if you feel like you need to adjust your pace right now, or 2. If you are just a little unsure about your timing, check the clock prior to beginning a new passage to see if you are on schedule, or 3. Check the clock before and after the passage if you struggle with reading speed or before and after questions if you struggle with question speed.

A lot of the time, I won't look at the clock until I come to a passage that's really difficult. I'll limit myself timewise on that passage so it won't ruin my whole test!