How often do you drink diet soda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

How often do you drink diet soda?

  • Frequently

    Votes: 30 50.0%
  • Sometimes

    Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Never

    Votes: 21 35.0%

  • Total voters
    60
I totally agree with this article, every time I drink diet Coke, I get cravings for sweet and salty stuff, and not the healthy stuff, lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I drink ten diet sodas per day; I weigh 168 pounds and am 74 inches tall. I think people feel if they drink diet sodas they can eat like Americans, and that has to do with the average intelligence level in this country. Then, as an excuse for lacking will power, they will love rely on this study and say "see, it's not my fault, now pass the mayonnaise please." I believe a firm foundation of any diet is first eliminating sugar and calories from one's beverage selection. Except beer, that is like liquid bread, and I don't believe in low carbohydrate diets either.
 
there was also something in the NYT recently tying caffeine intake to hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetics. I sent it to a DM1 friend of mine who drinks at a bare minimum 2L of diet coke every day.
 
I was a little disappointed with how short the article was. On a related note, I remember seeing a news clip detailing how bodies crave sugar and when your body doesn't get it from artificial sugars, it makes you eat more calories to compensate.
 
See also

Here:

B. Smith, D. L. Wingard, T. C. Smith, D. Kritz-Silverstein, and E. Barrett-Connor
Does coffee consumption reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes in individuals with impaired glucose?
Diabetes Care, November 1, 2006; 29(11): 2385 - 2390.


(2)
Coffee and Sweetened Beverage Consumption and the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study
Am. J. Epidemiol., December 1, 2006; 164(11): 1075 - 1084.

(3) J. A Greenberg, C. N Boozer, and A. Geliebter
Coffee, diabetes, and weight control.
Am. J. Clinical Nutrition, October 1, 2006; 84(4): 682 - 693.

(4) Diabetes Care. 2006 Feb;29(2):398-403.
Coffee, caffeine, and risk of type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study in younger and middle-aged U.S. women.
van Dam RM, Willett WC, Manson JE, Hu FB.
 
I don't touch the stuff. I can taste aspartame from across the room. Sucralose gives me diarrhea. If I want an occasional soda, I'll take the sugar.
 
I drink diet soda about once a day. This just sounds like another excuse for people that can't put the fork down.
 
Never liked diet soda.

Especially Aspartame... Anything that fools with neurotransmitters can't be good. Don't drink a lot of soda and when you drink it, go for the hi-test....
 
my theory is that I drink diet soda so I can eat what I want more or less. I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. But more often than not I get water or iced tea.
 
All you you need to try diet soda cake! Its amazing. All you do is pour a can of a diet soda in the cake mix and cook it like you normally would. I made it one day and NOBODY could tell it was made from that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Once when I was 19, I drank an entire cube of Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi in one day by myself.

I was proud....

Also, Coke Zero is the greatest breakthrough in diet colas in decades. I worship it, I do.
 
I agree...I love the Coke Zero line, doesn't taste a thing like the regular diet stuff.

I hate diet soda but I like the above and Diet Coke Plus...for some reason it has a different flavor. I dunno...I'm pretty healthy, and I don't crave sweet stuff.
 
I'm drinking Diet Dr Pepper right now, and I'm investigating the synergistic effect of combining hydrochlorothiazide with propranolol to reduce hypertension. This is soooo much fun 😛. The bubbles of carbonation are dancing in my mouth and all the while I'm reading about a diuretic.

It's hard for me to stay at a certain weight. Hell... it's hard for me to lose weight! I wish they had better options in the vending machines. There's one machine at school that has Sprite Zero bottles, so I'll go there when I don't want the caffeine or phosphoric acid-- > at least I have that option!

Craving sugar is pretty mental. I can go days without eating candy, but I have to be persistent. I stopped eating white bread several years ago; I buy whole wheat bread instead. I usually eat a bowl of broccoli every day, which is much better than eating a bowl of empty calories. I should be thinner, but I think some of my hormone levels are a little off. When I get some free time, perhaps this summer, I'll check it out with my doc.
 
Don't be stupid about it. Soda should never be your primary fluid of choice. Occassional enjoyment of Coca Cola.. yes, the real thing over ice in a tall cool glass..brings back memories of my childhood.. and it was a treat. Just like Ice Cream.

Commercialization has exploded soft drinks as our beverage/fluid of choice in our society. Filled with artificial sweetners which we're not sure of long term consequences.

Human body is resilient. And we can detoxify many things. But we now live where environmental toxins are bountiful but our knowledge of their effect on our health is very minimal.

By the time we realized tobacco smoke is associated with cancer, the tobacco industry fought against the realization to no end.

Use soda as an once in a while treat. Drink water if you're thirsty. Maybe tea. Give your body a break.
 
I drink ten diet sodas per day; I weigh 168 pounds and am 74 inches tall. I think people feel if they drink diet sodas they can eat like Americans, and that has to do with the average intelligence level in this country. Then, as an excuse for lacking will power, they will love rely on this study and say "see, it's not my fault, now pass the mayonnaise please." I believe a firm foundation of any diet is first eliminating sugar and calories from one's beverage selection. Except beer, that is like liquid bread, and I don't believe in low carbohydrate diets either.

You left out artifcial flavoring and sweetners.
 
Never liked diet soda.

Especially Aspartame... Anything that fools with neurotransmitters can't be good. Don't drink a lot of soda and when you drink it, go for the hi-test....

I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners either. If I'm going to have a soda (which is once every couple months)...it's a regular coke with a twist of lime.

I remember doing a science experiment when I was in 3rd grade...we boiled down a bottle of soda to see what was left after you boiled off the liquid. It was enough to not make me want to drink the stuff at all...yuck.

If I'm going to drink my calories, I save it for something worthwhile like a glass of wine 😉
 
Don't be stupid about it. Soda should never be your primary fluid of choice. Occassional enjoyment of Coca Cola.. yes, the real thing over ice in a tall cool glass..brings back memories of my childhood.. and it was a treat. Just like Ice Cream.

Commercialization has exploded soft drinks as our beverage/fluid of choice in our society. Filled with artificial sweetners which we're not sure of long term consequences.

Human body is resilient. And we can detoxify many things. But we now live where environmental toxins are bountiful but our knowledge of their effect on our health is very minimal.

By the time we realized tobacco smoke is associated with cancer, the tobacco industry fought against the realization to no end.

Use soda as an once in a while treat. Drink water if you're thirsty. Maybe tea. Give your body a break.
I'm drinking a glass of water while I eat my broccoli, and it's just for you 😎. I'll probably fall asleep during my classes today, but whatever.

One of my professor's lectured about an associated between a decreased rate of cancer in people who had a low caloric intake. I remember reading something about it when I lived near LSU too. The Pennington Research center did a study about it. I sorry, but I don't have time to look up the study right now. Probably has something to do with a decrease in adipose tissue--> decrease in stored estrogen--> reminds me of the need for Tamoxifen and Evista in the first place.
So... for once, I agree with Priapism. Calorie restriction is very important.

Telomeres are important too in cancer research, but I wasn't going to post in your Thought of the Day thread after you acted like I was completely oblivious in that Factor VII thread :meanie:.
 
You left out artifcial flavoring and sweetners.

Show me the data sir.....

"An excerpt from the FDA's statement on the safety of artificial sweeteners:

The Aspartame Controversy

While questions about saccharin may persist, the safety of another artificial sweetener, aspartame, is clear cut, say FDA officials. FDA calls aspartame, sold under trade names such as NutraSweet and Equal, one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved. The agency says the more than 100 toxicological and clinical studies it has reviewed confirm that aspartame is safe for the general population.

This message would not necessarily be apparent to consumers surfing the Internet, especially those who use Web-based search engines to find information about sugar substitutes or artificial sweeteners. Websites with screaming headlines and well-written text attempt to link aspartame consumption to systemic lupus, multiple sclerosis, vision problems, headaches, fatigue, and even Alzheimer's disease. One report distributed nationally over e-mail systems claims that aspartame-sweetened soft drinks delivered to military personnel during the Persian Gulf War may have prompted Gulf War syndrome.

No way, says FDA, along with many other health organizations such as the American Medical Association. David Hattan, Ph.D., acting director of FDA's division of health effects evaluation, says there is no "credible evidence," to support, for example, a link between aspartame and multiple sclerosis or systemic lupus. Some Internet reports claim that patients suffering from both conditions went into remission after discontinuing aspartame use. "Both of these disorders are subject to spontaneous remissions and exacerbation," says Hattan. "So it is entirely possible that when patients stopped using aspartame they might also coincidentally have had remission of their symptoms."

It is true, says Hattan, that aspartame ingestion results in the production of methanol, formaldehyde and formate--substances that could be considered toxic at high doses. But the levels formed are modest, and substances such as methanol are found in higher amounts in common food products such as citrus juices and tomatoes.

Other circulating reports claim that two amino acids in aspartame--phenylalanine and aspartic acid--can cause neurotoxic effects such as brain damage. "This is true in certain individuals and in high enough doses," says Hattan. He explains that a very small group of people who have the rare hereditary disease phenylketonuria have to watch their intake from other sources as well. Women with certain genetic traits (e.g., phenylketonurics) may metabolize the amino acid, phenylalanine, poorly and thus accumulate far higher than normal blood levels of phenylalanine. During pregnancy, high maternal levels of blood phenylalanine can be transferred to the fetus and produce serious adverse effects on brain development. While the protein eaten by these pregnant women contributes most of the resulting elevation of phenylalanine, they should also be aware of the presence of phenylalanine in beverages and foods that contain aspartame. FDA requires all products containing aspartame to be labeled for phenylalanine so consumers will be aware of the substance's presence and can avoid or restrict it.

Aspartic acid also has the potential to cause brain damage at very high doses. But under normal intake levels, the brain's mechanism for controlling aspartic acid levels ensures no adverse effects. It is unlikely that any consumer would eat or drink enough aspartame to cause brain damage: FDA figures show that most aspartame users only consume about 4 to 7 percent of the acceptable daily intake the agency has set for the sweetener.

Still other reports attempt to link aspartame to seizures and birth defects. Regarding seizures, Hattan cites animal and human studies showing that the sweetener neither causes nor enhances the susceptibility of seizures. Aspartame also has been evaluated for its potential to cause reproductive effects or birth defects. Again, researchers found no evidence, even in test animals fed the sweetener at doses much higher than those to which humans would be exposed.

Approved in 1981, aspartame is 180 times sweeter than sugar. It is used in products such as beverages, breakfast cereals, desserts, and chewing gum, and also as a tabletop sweetener. In 1996, a study raised the issue that aspartame consumption may be related to an increase in brain tumors following FDA's approval of the sweetener in 1981. But analysis of the National Cancer Institute's database on cancer incidence showed that cases of brain cancers began increasing in 1973--well before aspartame was approved--and continued to increase through 1985. In recent years, brain tumor frequency has actually decreased slightly. NCI currently is studying aspartame and other dietary factors as part of a larger study of adult brain cancer."
 
Well, playing devil's advocate...

Who's to say what 10 beverages/day for 30 years does?

Look me up in 23 years and we will have a glimpse.....however, I will just throw out there that aspartame has been approved and used for nearly 30 years, so it is not really fair to say that "long term effects" are not able to be realized yet.
 
Sounds good! And we'll start with n = 1.

What do you drink that much soda for though? Solely the caffeine?

I guess you could say it is for the caffeine......but I also somewhat refute the notion that carbonated beverages fail to hydrate the body; I usually stand by the philosophy that my body knows how to turn almost anything into water and caffeine has a very mild diuretic effect at best.
 
Look me up in 23 years and we will have a glimpse.....however, I will just throw out there that aspartame has been approved and used for nearly 30 years, so it is not really fair to say that "long term effects" are not able to be realized yet.

Well, yeah...but diet soda didn't really take off like it has until the 90's.

On a side note, these data are coming from Framingham right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On a side note, these data are coming from Framingham right?

I think the study from the OP looked at data from NHANES III, though not 100% sure yet. Just pulled the study up now, as I rarely (read: never) rely on New York Times press releases to formulate my scientific opinions.

Actually, it looks like this study looked at a unique population (by unique I mean they didn't retrospectively go back and look at a large cohort, rather, they prospectively included nearly 10,000 individuals from four U.S. communities and followed them for 9 years).
 
I think the study from the OP looked at data from NHANES III, though not 100% sure yet. Just pulled the study up now, as I rarely (read: never) rely on New York Times press releases to formulate my scientific opinions.

Right...which is why I was wondering where it came from. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Framingham was going to release info correlating the two. But, I can't remember where I read that...the relatively large n kind of made sense too that it would be Framingham.
 
I think the study from the OP looked at data from NHANES III, though not 100% sure yet. Just pulled the study up now, as I rarely (read: never) rely on New York Times press releases to formulate my scientific opinions.

Actually, it looks like this study looked at a unique population (by unique I mean they didn't retrospectively go back and look at a large cohort, rather, they prospectively included nearly 10,000 individuals from four U.S. communities and followed them for 9 years).

Prospectively? What were the inclusion criteria?
 
Right...which is why I was wondering where it came from. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Framingham was going to release info correlating the two. But, I can't remember where I read that...the relatively large n kind of made sense too that it would be Framingham.

Results based on the Framingham data were released recently and also associated diet soda consumption with incidence of the metabolic syndrome. However, in these studies, they state that there IS ABSOLUTELY no way to protect against confounders. One HUGE ONE that I see, diabetic patients are more likely to drink diet soda.
 
Results based on the Framingham data were released recently and also associated diet soda consumption with incidence of the metabolic syndrome. However, in these studies, they state that there IS ABSOLUTELY no way to protect against confounders. One HUGE ONE that I see, diabetic patients are more likely to drink diet soda.

They're not talking about the artificial sweeteners though are they? Just caffeine?
 
They're not talking about the artificial sweeteners though are they? Just caffeine?

Just diet soda; incidentally, in the present study, SWEETENED BEVERAGES were not associated with incident metabolic syndrome after adjustments. Coffee or nut consumption also did not appear to be associated.
 
I've been drinking a lot less diet soda since I became pregnant. I used to have 2-3 cans a day or more (Diet Mtn. Dew being my preference), but now I have one can every few days and maybe get a diet cola if I eat out (although I usually just get water). I haven't noticed any huge changes in the way that I feel, other than being more tired in the afternoons after not having any caffeine with lunch.

I'm not sure if I buy into the diet soda-obesity-metabolic syndrome-etc correlation. It seems to be that like Priapism said, there are too many confounders to be able to draw a significant conclusion. I also think that there are probably a lot of people that say, "If I get a diet coke I can get bigger fries." I always go for diet soda because I prefer not to drink my calories and I try to avoid refined sugar. (But I could definitely stand to lose weight anyway).
 
I wasn't too surprised by this. In my years working retail, I noticed that people who bought the big bottles of diet pop tended to be overweight, or obese. My father in law needs to lose about 80 lbs, and he drinks gallons of the stuff (whilst mowing down on buffalo wings and fries with blue cheese dipping sauce).

Personally, I can't stand the stuff and try and avoid it as well as anything containing "high fructose corn syrup" as a primary ingredient.
 
Here is the study.


I scanned through it real fast and I don't really buy it. Very little speculation or explanation of anything about the diet drinkers. I have a feeling that a disproportionate amount of the diet drinkers wound up being diabetic (being as though DM folks can't drink anything else)...and as we all know, type II DM *usually* happens to people that made themselves that way. They might have mentioned that in the study, but I didn't read the whole thing....but there is potential for some nice population bias there....
 
Here is the study.
Very little speculation or explanation of anything about the diet drinkers.

Thanks for the link! 👍

So it appears the writer of the brief NY Times article just zoned in on "diet sodas" when actually the study was more about the "Western Diet" in general (meats, fried foods, etc.). I haven't read the entire article yet, but interesting to note in the abstract "the diet soda association was not hypothesized and deserves further study."