How often do you exercise in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many day per week do you exercise in medical school?

• Zero. I don't have any time!

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • 1 Day

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • 2 Days

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • 3 Days

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • 4 Days

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • 5 Days

Votes: 27 17.9%
  • 6 Days

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Everyday

Votes: 21 13.9%

• Total voters
1K total for a female is very good, like very very good. Especially if they're under the 181# weight class. I am sitting right on the cusp of a 1K total in the 198# class (985# is the minimum for RAW 198.2# females to qualify for the XPC comp @ Arnold, USPA Nationals I think is very similar). Females in the powerlifting world right now are excelling in deadlifts, but most lag behind in their squats and benches. IE: 420# deadlift, but 150-170 bench and 300 squat. For many women, 175-185# on a bench is typically a hard plateau.

Anyway, for the non-athletic male, I'd bet you hitting 1K is harder than you think for many. Especially adding in below parallel squats, paused bench, and proper form. I highly doubt most men can break the 1200-1300 boundary without impeccable form/great genetics/boat tons of determination. If you're heavier (242+) it is a lot easier. Based on the men in my class and who I saw on interview trails, I haven't seen anyone above 220 and none were built like lifters.
1k for a female would be more than very good. That'd be elite level. And the average guy can NOT do 1k. Average guy benches 135 and can even squat their body weight. Someone who's lifted regularly for a couple years, maybe, but average male, absolutely not. And to everyone bashing distance running with lifting, you're completely wrong. It is more than possible to do both successfully. I'm 6'2", 205 pounds. I have over 1k lift total, and I run year round every distance from 5k to full marathon.

Edit: to clarify, I am mostly agreeing with breezy16, except for his drastic understatement of female lifting prowess lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1k for a female would be more than very good. That'd be elite level. And the average guy can NOT do 1k. Average guy benches 135 and can even squat their body weight. Someone who's lifted regularly for a couple years, maybe, but average male, absolutely not. And to everyone bashing distance running with lifting, you're completely wrong. It is more than possible to do both successfully. I'm 6'2", 205 pounds. I have over 1k lift total, and I run year round every distance from 5k to full marathon.

Edit: to clarify, I am mostly agreeing with breezy16, except for his drastic understatement of female lifting prowess lol.
;) I gotchu and also I am a female. Agreed with the 1K = elite/pro level, too.

I'm guessing by the majority of responses here that I am older than most of you, because you all sound like I did in my mid-twenties...but my priorities shifted once I hit 30 and started looking at working out as a way to keep me both mentally and physically fit so I can balance my career aspirations with family demands and responsibilities. Cardio dominates my workout regimen. I'm just starting medical school, but while I was both working and going to grad school full-time, I rarely made it to the gym. I often woke up at 3:30-4 to run or ride my bike (usually on the trainer; it's more efficient) because I couldn't count on getting out of work in time to get in a good run before class. I'd do planks, push-ups, squats, and a variety of bodyweight and core exercises during whatever breaks I had. During M1 and M2 I anticipate having more "unscheduled" time to actually lift weights and swim at the gym; I think it'll be easier in that regard. The clinical years will definitely be more challenging like the past few years have been, and I'm sure some rotations will make it nearly impossible to sneak in a good run if I want to sleep too. But I know myself and I just don't think as clearly unless I find time to run. I've done plenty of runs balancing my iPhone on my daughter's stroller and flipping through Anki, or zoning out and going through pathways in my head. Bottom line is that there's almost always a way to get it done.

Members don't see this ad :)
my priorities shifted once I hit 30 and started looking at working out as a way to keep me both mentally and physically fit
Cardio dominates my workout regimen.

Next month I will be in my mid-30's. My priority in working out is so I don't completely fall apart physically. It helps with the brain, for sure, but my body will literally crumble into a million little pieces if I don't keep enough muscle packed on to hold it all together.

Literally.

I was actually swimming a lot until my university ID expired. So now I'm back to saying "f### cardio."

Next month I will be in my mid-30's. My priority in working out is so I don't completely fall apart physically. It helps with the brain, for sure, but my body will literally crumble into a million little pieces if I don't keep enough muscle packed on to hold it all together.

Literally.

I was actually swimming a lot until my university ID expired. So now I'm back to saying "f### cardio."
Oh, I understand. Try triathlon. Seriously. I'm completely average and not in it to win anything, but having three separate disciplines gives me something to focus on all the time, outside of work, school, and family. And watching overweight, disabled, and/or very senior participants finish races is incredibly inspiring, as is getting involved in triathlon and volunteering and helping people who doubt themselves get fit and healthy. I can NEVER get to my Y to swim, but I manage to swim, bike and run with friends and have fun doing it!

I'm starting medical school in one month, and I am worried that I won't have time to lift anymore because it would detract from my studies.

How often do you exercise in medical school? Has it affected your grades?

Do the people at the top of the class make time to exercise or do they just study nonstop?

I really want to be top 5 in my class, and I don't know if that's possible while lifting. I'm willing to sacrifice my gains if it means being at the top.

I would do everything in your living power to etch out one hour a day to either run or go to the gym bc its rough and it will keep you sane if you keep yourself fit. I regret that I did not and trying to lose the 6 pounds I gained is a lot harder now. I'm doing it and 1/3 of the way to my goal but its rough when you neglect yourself and it helps no one least of all yourself when you destroy your health. Since I started working out again I found its a lot easier to concentrate when I do study and you can always listen to some audio study files like a review course or your lectures while on the treadmill. Sometimes listening to it while on a treadmill or elliptical when your blood is flowing makes you remember it better later.

Just want to reiterate that the best students in our class all have multiple hobbies/interests outside of medicine. Oddly enough, the students that seem to spend every waking moment studying typically aren't in the top quartile. Maybe some exceptions (I certainly don't follow them home), but that's just been my general observation.

Well this thread turned into the stereotypical internet workout thread. And before I list my stuff I'm going to go against what people are saying in this thread. At my school the people who study the most deff are at the top of the class. Now of course they do random things for 2 hours a day but the rest is studying, also on the weekends. Being good at medicine requires spaced repetition, and with the amount of information we have to know, the hours gotta be made up somewhere.

For me:
Ride bike to school everyday
Workout 3 days a week for 2-3 hours each

I have been lifting for over 10 years (non-trad) and have lost about 10 pounds of muscle due to medical school. There isn't enough time to maintain peak physique unless you start taking exogenous things.

Reactions: 1 users
I usually do something like M-W-F-Su then then the next week would be T-Th-Sa. Repeat cycle.

I don't go crazy hard at the gym. I do about 20-25 min cardio and 25-30 min of free weights and jump rope. During the weekdays I always take walks, park far from things, take stairs, etc. For me its about staying healthy rather than gains.

I also wanted to add that working out is my natural anti-depressant. I think everyone gets a bit down sometimes and you'd be surprised how regular exercise improves your mood and makes you more resilient. Anybody (basically everyone) who experiences occasional dips in mood should give it a try.

Last edited:
Well this thread turned into the stereotypical internet workout thread. And before I list my stuff I'm going to go against what people are saying in this thread. At my school the people who study the most deff are at the top of the class. Now of course they do random things for 2 hours a day but the rest is studying, also on the weekends. Being good at medicine requires spaced repetition, and with the amount of information we have to know, the hours gotta be made up somewhere.

For me:
Ride bike to school everyday
Workout 3 days a week for 2-3 hours each

I have been lifting for over 10 years (non-trad) and have lost about 10 pounds of muscle due to medical school. There isn't enough time to maintain peak physique unless you start taking exogenous things.

This. Im one of those guys who's lucky enough to still have a crazy fast metabolism in my upper 20s. In college I couldn't keep weight on and during a gap year I managed to add like 10 lbs (mostly muscle). I worked out every night, ate till I was sick, and forced protein bars and shakes down my throat. It was actually quite miserable. 2 years later it was gone and I was the lightest I'd ever been around Step 1 time because I was so inactive.

So right now and for the rest of my life my goal is to stay lean but not skinny and have a decent level of CV fitness.

Exp from 1st year dental, I try to work out everyday. If time is really limited then just do 40-45mins cardio without weighting part.
The main reason is I need 6 packs and a dental license to get married with my gf…(No… it's just joking)
The actual reason is moderate work out does much better work than a venti French roast. So I tend to go to gym around 5-6pm after whole day of lecture and library studying. This is gonna ensure at least another 4-5hrs of studying before going to bed

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

I used to do a morning run and an evening lift 5-6 days/wk but since my schedule has become a bit more unpredictable in grad school, I just do two runs a day most of the time. It helps clear my head and refocus

If you don't have time to exercise during med school, then you're doing med school wrong lol.

I'm in residency. I exercise 5-6 days per week between going to the gym (lifting and cardio) and playing soccer.

It's good to have some priorities outside of your career.

I usually do something like M-W-F-Su then then the next week would be T-Th-Sa. Repeat cycle.
That is the wordiest version of "I work out every other day" I've seen in a while.

My real motivation for working out is to have more athletic ability for frisbee. Gotta beat those couch potatoes to pulling down that goal-to-goal huck.

I went for an hour walk which involved doing pullups and other exercises at the local park. I used the time between sets and while walking to talk myself through lectures. I try to recall the lecture as best as i can in the format it is in the notes (i am a visual learner) and then crosscheck what I recalled with the notes when I got back. Good way to get 2 things done.

Just want to reiterate that the best students in our class all have multiple hobbies/interests outside of medicine. Oddly enough, the students that seem to spend every waking moment studying typically aren't in the top quartile. Maybe some exceptions (I certainly don't follow them home), but that's just been my general observation.

I would say half the people in my class that made AOA (based on top 10% of class and highest step score) did nothing except study. They would go out at night on the weekend with friends, but no gym, no hardcore partying.... Just lots of studying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Zero, not because I don't have time...I just lack discipline and use that extra time for Netflix and naps haha.

Regardless, if I can waste time online like I do, then I imagine there's prob time to exercise regularly. Though some clinical rotations it's tougher, like ob/gyn etc.

I would say half the people in my class that made AOA (based on top 10% of class and highest step score) did nothing except study. They would go out at night on the weekend with friends, but no gym, no hardcore partying.... Just lots of studying.

I'm certainly not the top of my class, but is studying every waking moment even the best way to go about learning medicine?

During the week I'm pretty much studying all day, but I take an hour for lunch, an hour for dinner, and an hour to exercise/shower. I'm also finished by 9 or 10 and then relax a bit before sleep.

If I took away those breaks, I'm pretty sure I would burn out in a week and want to quit.

It's a short amount of time (a couple years) for a lifetime of happiness. Absolutely worth it for some.

That said, I didn't do a ton of hardcore partying (usual post exam celebrations and occasional holiday parties or BBQs), but I also hit the gym 3-4 times a week most weeks and kept eating healthy (this was not always the case third year). I was 3-4 years older than a lot of my classmates who were right out of college, but as a former D1 athlete-turned-amateur-bodybuilder, staying in good shape was a priority second only to doing well in school. And it turned out I did exceptionally well in Med school.

I still have plenty of friends from medical school, am in nearly the best shape of my life, and am working in what I (and many others might) consider the best specialty there is.

So yeah, everybody has their priorities. But looking back, although balance is key and all that jazz, as obsessive as I've been about fitness, I would've gladly dialed that down more if it had been required of me to do as well as I did in class/rotations.

I've said it on here several times before, but the people who hem and haw about needing "balance" and settling for "average" in medical school are a bit short sighted. If ever there is a time to go balls to the wall, all out effort for something, medical school is it. As a result, I now have a lifetime of "balance" to look forward to.

It's a short amount of time (a couple years) for a lifetime of happiness. Absolutely worth it for some.

That said, I didn't do a ton of hardcore partying (usual post exam celebrations and occasional holiday parties or BBQs), but I also hit the gym 3-4 times a week most weeks and kept eating healthy (this was not always the case third year). I was 3-4 years older than a lot of my classmates who were right out of college, but as a former D1 athlete-turned-amateur-bodybuilder, staying in good shape was a priority second only to doing well in school. And it turned out I did exceptionally well in Med school.

I still have plenty of friends from medical school, am in nearly the best shape of my life, and am working in what I (and many others might) consider the best specialty there is.

So yeah, everybody has their priorities. But looking back, although balance is key and all that jazz, as obsessive as I've been about fitness, I would've gladly dialed that down more if it had been required of me to do as well as I did in class/rotations.

I've said it on here several times before, but the people who hem and haw about needing "balance" and settling for "average" in medical school are a bit short sighted. If ever there is a time to go balls to the wall, all out effort for something, medical school is it. As a result, I now have a lifetime of "balance" to look forward to.

You make a lot of good points, but I also don't think balance and success are mutually exclusive.

For me personally, there are serious diminishing returns on my studying after 8 hours or so. I can keep going (and do sometimes), but most of that material I end up not retaining and looking at again the next day anyway.

Exercise in some form I don't feel like is optional in med school, same with eating correctly. The days I eat like crap and don't exercise are my worst study days by far. I also feel like fresh air, sunlight, and 7+ hours of sleep is pretty mandatory also.

Some folks forgo these things in favor of more studying time, and kudos to them, but I suspect these are a lot of the same people that mark "Yes" on the depression surveys.

Hey guys, this is certainly a topic that I am very passionate about and I always encourage everyone in the medical field to try and get some exercise, regardless of how busy they are. There is more than enough time in medical school and in residency to exercise regularly. I work as an OBGYN resident, with long grueling exhausting shifts, but I make it a priority to still workout. There are several strategies that you can use to build a workout routine into your schedule. Make it a habit now, and it can last a lifetime!