Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How often do you pray?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mizilan, Mar 6, 2007.

?

How often do you pray (formally or informally) each day for application help?

1. 0

99 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. 1-3

47 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. 3-5

8 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. 5-10

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. +10 (constantly thinking about it)

9 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. mizilan

mizilan New Member

Medical Student
    After 4 years of studying, MCATs, primary applications, secondary applications, interviews, update letters, letters of intent--this med school thing is finally out of my hands. Now that I'm waiting for decisions, I find myself praying a bunch. I'm wondering if, and how often, my fellow SDNers ask for a little help from upstairs. I don't care to whom as long as its some supreme power that can control these things (and Dean Franz DOESN'T count).

Best of luck to everyone.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. soonerfan77

soonerfan77 Rather be golfin'

Medical Student
    Everyday!!!!!!
    Just remember to talk to HIM during both the highs and lows. :cool:

4. TleilaxuMD

TleilaxuMD Banned
    Banned

We are scientists....not priests.

5. ryandote

ryandote Member

Medical Student

nice...(idiot)

6. GeniusofLove

Medical Student
    If two (or more) people are praying for the same spot at a school, how does it work? Does God have to consider who deserves it more, who prays more, or something else? Is it important or even consequential if two (or more) people are praying to different Gods? I have a lot more questions about this, but I'll save them for later.

7. TleilaxuMD

TleilaxuMD Banned
    Banned

huh:confused:

8. CoolerTHANu

Medical Student
    the frequency of prayer strongly correlates with the frequency of exams

9. ryandote

ryandote Member

Medical Student

My apologies. If your response was meant to convey your confusion about how a person (even a scientist!) could have a personal relationship with God (even though they aren't a priest) it might have been better to ask that.

However, if your response wasn't meant to be sarcastic, I definitely apologize for the my rudeness. In fact, even if it was meant to be sarcastic I probably should apologize anyway. Your right to sarcasm is duly noted.

10. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...

Resident [Any Field]
    I think He would have to consider their GPA and MCAT. ECs are kind of important, and perhaps letter of recommendation. Also since He has the ability to look into your soul and knows every sin you have committed since you first breathed, that probably carries some weight as well.

No seriously, I would say it would depend on what He has destined for each person. If one was meant to go to the medical school, they would go. But then this brings in the whole Free Choice vs Predestination thing, and I'd rather go digging thru rumors of Texas waitlist movement than open that can of worms, bye!

11. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member

Medical Student
    It definitely depends on their major and undergraduate institution.

12. vernal equinox

Pre-Medical
    praying for peace of mind and the strength to make it through this torturous process. I really just want to be a physician and as long as I am somewhere where that can happen, I can be happy. My patients will not refuse my services if I don't go to a top tier school when it comes down to it.

13. ryandote

ryandote Member

Medical Student
    The most important factor is whether you say God's name right. God, Jesus, Jehovah, Allah, Buddha, Krishna, Joseph Smith...

Disclaimer: Not only did I display my theological shortcomings in Eastern religions, but I know that mormons don't believe Joseph Smith is God. Take the joke for what it's worth....not much.

14. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant

MD/PhD Student
    No kidding.

15. ryandote

ryandote Member

Medical Student
    none at all.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. hb2998

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't prey at all.. I am technically a Muslim (I don't call him/her Allah as I don't speak Arabic).. Allah is just an Arabic word for God. Arab-Christians also call him/her Allah. I really wish the US media would stop referring to their God, Allah and our God, God. So annoying. I really can't wait until the day when there is enough cultural understanding in the world where people understand that all Gods are technically the same God and we don't need to distinguish Gods by referring to him/her by different names. You know.. can't wait for the hidden racism to stop. Hopefully within my lifetime.

Not religious at all, don't pray, and certainly wouldn't prey for medical school stuff. (Might one day pray if I lose a loved one ... Need that heaven/hope to see them again.)

Just blowing off some steam after an interview.. excuse my frustration ;).

18. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member

Medical Student
    I would hope not!

19. Darksmurf

Darksmurf I'm the boy smurf

Honestly, God's surely got better things to do.

20. CaramelDlite

CaramelDlite Academic Gangsta

Pre-Medical
    That's assuming we always know whats good for us, and we don't. It may be that a certain school is only right for one person and not the other. You should pray that God leads you to the place that's best for you, and not just where you want to be.

21. JDUB44

JDUB44 My Wiener (See Pic Below)

They are not the same God at all. In my opinion one doesn't exist at all. Because Christ/God/Holyspirit is the only one. I'm not racist, but I just can't justify labeling anything/anyone a god that advocates the senseless killing of innocents. But, thats just my opinion i guess. But, back to the topic at hand. I pray for lots of stuff that is important, like medical school. But, I pray in a sense that if it is HIS will, that my wants/needs will come to pass.

22. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II

Medical Student
    That's true, like deciding outcomes of high school basketball games.

23. microgal

microgal NYC's Finest

Pre-Medical
    Haha this made my day

24. gujuDoc

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    Has anyone here ever read "The God Delusions"?? Now there's a book that's extreme for you!!!

Ohh and I am not overaly religious so I don't go to a temple or church or anything like that regularly.

I'm hindu btw.

My view on religion is that there may or may not be a god out there but there is no true way of knowing whether that god's name is zeus, Jesus, Allah, God, Vishnu, etc. Nor is there any way of physically proving that the stories written in the holy books occurred as it says as we were not alive to witness it and if words are misconstrued by man continuously in present day who is to say that they weren't misconstrued by men when they were writing the religious books? Furthermore, if men misinterpret a story whether it is told verbally or written in current day, who is to say they didn't have the capability of doing such in the past? In other words, we can't prove that exact events happen just because the (insert religious book name here) said it happened.

But what I believe is that religious serves its purposes and that when you examine all of the religions, the underlying principle is the same in all of them. The morals/ethics they teach is the same.

Furthermore, I believe that a lot of the customs and beliefs that are practiced in religion may stem from a greater social need of times past such as the fact that eating vegetarian food in Hindu culture could have had more to do with the fact that more vegetables were present then meat factors. So perhaps that may have led to creation of beliefs surrounding the belief that eating meat is an unholy thing to do while eating vegetables isn't. Or in other cases, using my same example, it could have done to do with illness caused by meat that wasn't caused by eating vegetables. You see what I'm getting at. It would be interesting to study the social implications which may have led to many of the customs led by different religious groups.

On a final note, I don't believe that the current knowledge of science completely knocks out religion as Dawkins suggests in "The God Delusion". However, I do believe that they both serve their functions. The idea of being part of a religion often gives us some guiding hand in terms of beliefs and principles to follow while advances in science help to further our understanding of our world and create more ways to help live longer and progress onwards. The problems arise only because many people go either too far to the left or too far to the right and become fundamentalist in their views hindering our progress.

25. pretenda

pretenda ASA Member

Resident [Any Field]

Interesting. I definitely dont hear the media refer to God as Hashem when they are talking to Israelis so why use the Arabic term when discussing the same thing.

26. gujuDoc

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    The problem is that it isn't the Q'uran that promotes that nor is it Allah who promotes this senseless killing. it is the extremist leaders who wish to take out of context the religious books to serve their purposes and missions. It is not the muslims everywhere either who believe this mindset of extremists. One could argue that Christians have also had their fair share of senseless killing (i.e. Crusades, burning of heretics during the 16th century, and so forth). Also, I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement because there's also the recent issue of people like priests who've committed sexual abuse acts in high numbers. Yet, you wouldn't suddenly say Christianity is evil based on these events would you? Every religion has had its fair share of bad and good because of the fact that men will misconstrue religion to signify something written in the holi books in a way it might not have meant to be taken.

27. microgal

microgal NYC's Finest

Pre-Medical
    Have you heard of the crusades or the Inquistion? "God" doesn't advocate killing, but people acting in God's name sure do. Christians have not had a peaceful history by any means.

28. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II

Medical Student
    Dawkins aside, science has risen to become a new religion, and scientists to the level of priests- which is completely absurd considering what science actually is. I cringe everytime I hear some talking head on CNN say something like "Scientists have announced that blah blah does blah blah" or "According to scientists..." It's as if there were some high tribunal issuing out decisions.

I guess all of this just illustrates that 90% of people just want someone to lead them, be it a religious figure or a guy wearing goggles.

29. JDUB44

No they haven't, but there is a difference between people advocating killing by themselves, which christianity doesn't teach. And, a religion that teaches that if you strap a bomb to your chest and murder 50 infidels you'll recieve such and such number of virgins with flowing bosoms and what not. But thats just my opinion, again.

30. IDontKnow

Medical Student
    I'm muslim, so I HAVE to formally pray 5 times a day...but it's really hard to do that, still working on it.

31. eternalrage

Resident [Any Field]
    Well TECHNICALLY the first commandment says "Thou shalt not have other gods before Me" so that sort of implies the existence of other gods, just lesser I guess.

32. JDUB44

You make some good points, and we'll agree to disagree. I don't mean to be offensive, but these are just my views and by nature (depending on the audience) they are offensive.

33. eternalrage

Resident [Any Field]
    Actually technically that wouldn't make you muslim, that would make you sikh

34. JDUB44

They are three in one, no technically about it. Other gods are just false gods that people make up to suit their interestes and avoid the real truth. Once again, just mine and God's opinion. Don't mind us.:laugh:

35. WantsThisBad

WantsThisBad Member

Pre-Medical

He looks at your MCAT scores.

36. DropkickMurphy

Banned

Other Health Professions Student
    When do I pray?
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E-Bnt1omjQ[/YOUTUBE]

37. eternalrage

Resident [Any Field]
    That's why blind faith is a must if you want to be religious.

Usually when I say something like that people respond with "well it's not blind faith for me because I KNOW" or "I believe it so it is REAL to me and not blind faith." I guess sometimes it's truly hard to appreciate just how blind the faith has to be until you get into something like science, where basically every conclusion you have must be backed by fact.

38. eternalrage

Resident [Any Field]
    Well according to the Bible:
    "I am The Lord your God, Who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me." (Exodus 20:2-3 RSV)

"But The Lord is the true God; He is the living God and the everlasting King. At His wrath the earth quakes, and the nations cannot endure His indignation. Thus shall you say to them: "The gods who did not make the heavens and the earth shall perish from the earth and from under the heavens." (Jeremiah 10:10-11 RSV)

Those verses IMPLY other gods exist. Since Bible is supposed to be the Word of God, it would seem you and God actually do not share the same opinion on the existence of other gods.

39. ryandote

ryandote Member

Medical Student

Interesting take...maybe the IMPLICATION is that those who claim that other gods exist will see those other false gods "perish from the earth and from under the heavens." - The false gods being the gods that did not "make the heavens and the earth."

is that a possible interpretation?

40. gsmithers68

Medical Student
    Ya I pray.... I pray that people will open their freaking eyes to the reality of our world and understand from a neuroscience perspective how our consciousness governs our reality and how science is a tool to comprehend reality.

If you can't take the time to develop enough empathy to start looking at how others view the world other than your own organized religious viewpoint then you are a close-minded fool. Scientist or not.

Read the Koran, New Testament, Old Testament, some Hindu texts, Buddhist texts, hell even look into scientology and religious science. Then check out some texts exploring the use of science to explain our world. Take a class on evolution. Explore the neutral theory purposed by Kimura to explain molecular genetic variation. Then try and take it all together and make a logical and evidence-based argument for what kind of supernatural powers could exist or not and the role they play in modulating our world.

If you can't do this. If you don't have curiosity and skepticism emboldened in your body. You are just another person on a diverged spectrum of atheists and evangelicals with no empathy for the other position.

That is my rant for the day.... I can already tell this thread is going to explode into another atheist vs. theist argument

41. ScroogeMcTroll

Non-Student
    Yeah, as far as science being a new religion, I wouldn't buy it for a second. Almost everything the media picks up as being the current forefront of science turns out to be wrong. That might make the general public think science has few answers, but it's really just the way science works. No one should ever have faith in any scientific fact that has been around for less than a few decades. That said, I really wish evolution selected against people who don't believe in it.

42. microgal

microgal NYC's Finest

Pre-Medical
    No where in the Qu'ran does it say to do that. The religion does not teach killing. People do. Just like Christian, Jewish, Atheist, Hindu, Buddhist whathaveyou religion people do.

43. microgal

microgal NYC's Finest

Pre-Medical
    The bible came long after the Torah, so really one could argue that the holy trinity was made up to suit the interests of the new sect of judaism (christianity). It's all how you phrase it. You can believe something, but it doesn't make it true, it makes it your belief.

44. IWant2BeADoctor

IWant2BeADoctor License to Matriculate

Pre-Medical
    As someone who was raised in Church I don't pray nearly as often as I should. Maybe once a year.:D

All the praying in the world wouldn't get you into Med School with a low GPA and MCAT scores.

The only way God could help in Med school admissions is if he promised to rain brimstone and hellfire on any Med school that rejected you.:p

Religions don't teach us to kill. We are natural born killers.

45. ragcu

ragcu New Member

Pre-Medical
    I dont post much around here, but I figured I'd add something here because this interests me a lot. Yes, that is a widely held interpretation. The idea generally behind false gods are things that people make up. This can range anywhere from physically making idols to creating a religion or god in your head. Another aspect of this, and one that is probably most applicable to many people's daily lives, is the idea that we make things into gods everyday. Money, relationships, careers, etc. all can take over our lives to the point that they become gods to us (things we worship and chase after as the focus of our life). Just my two cents...

46. ToGodALLGlory

ToGodALLGlory Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    Christianity involves believing that a known historical figure, a widely accepted "prophet" by many non-Christians, was the son of God. Four widely respected historical figures followed this man and each gave a personal account documenting what Jesus said. Once you come to believe that Jesus was the son of God, the bible says that you will have the blood on your hands of those around you if they perish without you revealing this truth to them. We are called to witness because of this. The last thing my logical mind wants to do is step out on a limb and talk about Jesus when there are people out there who will flame me for it, but to believe such a thing is life-changing. There is no fence-walking when it comes to true Christianity. You either believe Christ was the son of God made flesh, sent here to deliver us all from our sins so that we might have eternal life in heaven...or you don't...you think he was suffering from early-onset dementia or was lying or whatever you decide. I personally don't see how he could be a powerful prophet to some, when he flat out said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the father but by me (John 14:6)." Those are powerful words that have affected millions of people--was he crazy, lying, or is your eternity riding on a close personal relationship with him?

You definitely should spend some extensive time (as mentioned in other posts above) looking into it if you haven't--research it all and make a conscious decision, because choosing not to decide is still making a choice when it comes to what Jesus has been consistently documented to have said. In terms of prayer, the bible says to pray without ceasing and that anything asked in Jesus' name will be given...so according to the bible, who you pray to and how often are vital questions. I think representations of the bible have been watered down to become more palatable when in fact, the bible makes very pointed statements about social and personal behaviors and vague statements about science (i.e. it doesn't mention how the burning bush worked or how the floor of the Red Sea was acceptable to walk across when the Red sea parted, but it does provide a detailed list of expectations for behavior). Those things are on my list of questions for God, but I suspect it will be inconsequential when I see Him. I know God makes the impossible possible.

Science to me only increases our understanding of His design. There is no conflict that I see between religion and evolution. I have heard naive Christians argue that dinosaur bones in museums were completely faked government constructs just as many times as I have heard supposed intellectuals say they have been meaning to look into a good religion, probably Christianity. You should get around to it quickly. While there is gray area in what God considers a day and what happened between the time God said let there be light and the time light appeared, there is no gray area in what Jesus said--flat out, either I'm the son of God and you believe me (and it will change your life) or you don't (and it won't).

The problem is mankind and our inherent imperfections...we're all sinners. I don't mean to sound like I have it all figured out, but I have looked into it and I had an opinion I thought God wanted me to share with you. Good luck with your personal journey.

47. Garrison1

Medical Student
  48. microgal

microgal NYC's Finest

Pre-Medical
    Mod's this thread is WAY off topic now..... could we move or close please...that last post put it over the edge.

49. IWant2BeADoctor

IWant2BeADoctor License to Matriculate

Pre-Medical
    Looks like somebody was a son of a preacher.:D

50. trevagandalf

Medical Student
    God should let me into med school because I'm willing to donate $200 to American Heart Association if he does , plus spend part of my life volunteering in third world countries. SO GOD.. LET ME IN, you won't get a better deal anywhere else!!!

51. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    At first I was praying for my fiancee and I to get into the same medical school. He answered that, but now we praying for a different school, lol. I truly believe that God listens to your prayers. He may not answer it like we want, but in the end, it is always the right decision. In Pro. 16:9, it says, "In his heart a man plans his course, but it is the Lord who determines his steps." We basically have to pray and wait for the doors to open to know which way we are supposed to go.

52. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast

Pre-Medical
    I think God actually decides by giving acceptances to those who pray the least. The logic is that since we're going to hell anyway, we might as well get a head start on eternal torture.