How often do you pray?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How often do you pray (formally or informally) each day for application help?

Votes: 99 58.6%
  • 1-3

Votes: 47 27.8%
  • 3-5

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • 5-10

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • +10 (constantly thinking about it)

Votes: 9 5.3%

• Total voters
They are three in one, no technically about it. Other gods are just false gods that people make up to suit their interestes and avoid the real truth. Once again, just mine and God's opinion. Don't mind us.:laugh:

Sorry to tell you this, but Muslims, Jews and Chistians all believe in the same God, the God of Abraham. Also known in their respective languages as: Allah(PBUH), YHWH, and God/The Holy Trinity.

It's all one in the same, each religion just has a different belief system and have different traditions to show their belief in the one higher power.

Members don't see this ad.

Christianity involves believing that a known historical figure, a widely accepted "prophet" by many non-Christians, was the son of God. Four widely respected historical figures followed this man and each gave a personal account documenting what Jesus said. Once you come to believe that Jesus was the son of God, the bible says that you will have the blood on your hands of those around you if they perish without you revealing this truth to them. We are called to witness because of this. The last thing my logical mind wants to do is step out on a limb and talk about Jesus when there are people out there who will flame me for it, but to believe such a thing is life-changing. There is no fence-walking when it comes to true Christianity. You either believe Christ was the son of God made flesh, sent here to deliver us all from our sins so that we might have eternal life in heaven...or you don't...you think he was suffering from early-onset dementia or was lying or whatever you decide. I personally don't see how he could be a powerful prophet to some, when he flat out said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the father but by me (John 14:6)." Those are powerful words that have affected millions of people--was he crazy, lying, or is your eternity riding on a close personal relationship with him?

You definitely should spend some extensive time (as mentioned in other posts above) looking into it if you haven't--research it all and make a conscious decision, because choosing not to decide is still making a choice when it comes to what Jesus has been consistently documented to have said. In terms of prayer, the bible says to pray without ceasing and that anything asked in Jesus' name will be given...so according to the bible, who you pray to and how often are vital questions. I think representations of the bible have been watered down to become more palatable when in fact, the bible makes very pointed statements about social and personal behaviors and vague statements about science (i.e. it doesn't mention how the burning bush worked or how the floor of the Red Sea was acceptable to walk across when the Red sea parted, but it does provide a detailed list of expectations for behavior). Those things are on my list of questions for God, but I suspect it will be inconsequential when I see Him. I know God makes the impossible possible.

Science to me only increases our understanding of His design. There is no conflict that I see between religion and evolution. I have heard naive Christians argue that dinosaur bones in museums were completely faked government constructs just as many times as I have heard supposed intellectuals say they have been meaning to look into a good religion, probably Christianity. You should get around to it quickly. While there is gray area in what God considers a day and what happened between the time God said let there be light and the time light appeared, there is no gray area in what Jesus said--flat out, either I'm the son of God and you believe me (and it will change your life) or you don't (and it won't).

The problem is mankind and our inherent imperfections...we're all sinners. I don't mean to sound like I have it all figured out, but I have looked into it and I had an opinion I thought God wanted me to share with you. Good luck with your personal journey.

As a die-hard Atheist, I agree. Faith is a very personal thing, which cannot be "proven" or "disproven". I don't believe that Jesus is the son of God, but I don't disrespect those that do. Likewise, I don't consider Jews "better" than Moslems or vice versa, etc etc.

However, I think that just as religion is a personal thing, it's also something which should never be forced upon others. Everybody should feel free to live according to their beliefs, but should never force those beliefs upon others. It's really quite simple, but obviously also have implications in the medical world, which, however, don't really belong in this forum.

So, if you think praying can do the trick to get you into medical school, by all means go ahead. Nobody will ever be able to prove or disprove the validity of such practices anyway, but if it makes you feel better, why not?

As a die-hard Atheist, I agree. Faith is a very personal thing, which cannot be "proven" or "disproven". I don't believe that Jesus is the son of God, but I don't disrespect those that do. Likewise, I don't consider Jews "better" than Moslems or vice versa, etc etc.

However, I think that just as religion is a personal thing, it's also something which should never be forced upon others. Everybody should feel free to live according to their beliefs, but should never force those beliefs upon others. It's really quite simple, but obviously also have implications in the medical world, which, however, don't really belong in this forum.

So, if you think praying can do the trick to get you into medical school, by all means go ahead. Nobody will ever be able to prove or disprove the validity of such practices anyway, but if it makes you feel better, why not?
Very much agree with above. No need to justify why you pray or don't pray... whatever brings you peace of mind.

It's funny though... in clinic yesterday I met a middle age wife and mom who had sarcoma of the IVC who was told 5 years ago she had a prognosis of 6 months. You suddenly feel very foolish at night when you pray to make sure you match at your top program. Prayer for peace of mind is good... when it brings clairity of mind its better.