How often.....

Started by Haga
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Haga

Hotter Than Black Pepper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am a currently persuing a degree in Speech Pathology. I was currently looking at how in Demand the Medical side of SLP is right now. As a current Teacher, I know there is a huge market up in Elementary Schools. But, I have always enjoyed the hospital setting. I would love to cooperate with Physicans and other health care practictioners.

What precentage of your patients do you refer to an Audiologist or SLP for treatment.


-----
Also I looked forever for the ENT forum, theres much more to the ENT profession than surgery, you guys definetly need your own forum. 👍
 
I'd say 20-25% of my patients, maybe more, get referred to audiology.

I'd say about 5% of my patients get referred to SLP. If I did more cancer, that number would be a lot higher.

Not sure that gives you an idea for demand--I have no idea what the "need" is for SLP. In my area, pt's get seen in 2-3 days if needed so that should tell you they're busy but not overwhelmed.
 
Depending on where you want a job, there are always hospital jobs out there. I work very closely with my SLP's for pts needing voice tx and swallowing tx. Often refer for videostrobes, MBS, etc. I can't tell you what the job demand is overall, though.