How old are you.... really.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Engineer2MD

yes I'm crazy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just feeling old today....

What do you current medical students think of me entering medical school..... when I'm 30? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine. That's not that much older. A lot of people are a bit older these days.

What do you current medical students think of me entering medical school..... when I'm 30? :eek:

i'm 26, and there's plenty of people 30+ in my class. it's not a big deal to anyone around you unless it's a big deal to you.

i.e. no one will think you're the "old person" but if you wake up every day thinking "i won't be practicing til i'm almost 40" or whatever, then you can make it a problem for yourself. otherwise, most likely people will barely even notice.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a couple 40+yo in my class. A few more spread through 30's. I started at 27. I doubt you will be the oldest in your class.

Here's my attempt to make you feel old....

I'll be 21 when med school starts :)

I'm 27-- and I didn't feel at all out of place during my Second Look Weekends. You'll be fine. :luck:

I'm accepted for MS1 start at age 39.... and I'm seriously considering deferring until next year (age 40). Clearly age-related dementia is setting in.:D

Cheer up sonny. I promise everyone in medical school is potty-trained.... and most have outgrown Barney. Heck, you might even find some who remember the Clinton presidency. :rolleyes:

I'm 36 and will begin this fall. I've never felt uncomfortable with my fellow interviewees, with student hosts, out socializing with students the night before interviews, etc., and I don't get any strange looks when I go to the library of my local med school. There are 30-somethings admitted every year to my school, and I think to most schools.

I'm almost 23, and I'm an M1. You'll be older than the average, but certainly not anywhere near the outer limits. We've got plenty of people in their late 20s, and the oldest person in our class is in her forties (but she doesn't look it ;)).

i grew up with a guy who graduated med school at 23. he is in an ophthalmology residency now but has told me that he feels too young to carry the responsibility of being someone's physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
32 y/o M1 here. (In Jbrice's class).

I started at 27, like what, 8 months ago? :rolleyes: I used to feel old, thinking about the 22 year olds in my class, but you know what? It really doesn't matter in the end. Age IS just a number, and you will have classmates around your age that you can better relate to (if the kids get too annoying :laugh: ). I think it was last year that I read a post here on SDN that I always think about when I'm feeling "old": I'd rather be a doctor at 50, than not being one at 50 (something along those lines, you get the idea).

And rest assured that you won't be the "oldest" of your class :D

I started medical school at 17...bitch.

youre not going to be the oldest
youre not going to be the youngest
you'll probably be older than average

after anatomy, no one will even notice

its all good

youre not going to be the oldest
youre not going to be the youngest
you'll probably be older than average

after anatomy, no one will even notice

its all good

1) After anatomy (at least on the block system) everyone actually knows each other by name - not by the person's characteristics. (i.e. "You know, the guy with 3 kids!" or "You know - that woman, the woman who used to live in Mongolia!")

2) After the mandatory labs in anatomy, some people stop going to class and have less contact with their classmates.

3) The formaldehyde used to preserve the dead bodies, the hours you spend squinting at Netter, mixed with the stress of anatomy, screws up everyone's biological clock, so you all end up looking the same age - 60 years old.

(I was kidding on the last one. I'm 25 and I still get carded at bars. Not something I'm proud of, but whatever.)

Honestly, I really couldn't tell you who in my class is non-trad or not. It really doesn't matter, and I like the perspective that the non-trads bring to class discussions. Plus, the non-trads are the best anatomy lab-partners because they actually have interesting stories to tell during fat-picking sessions. (Unlike me, seeing as I spent most of my time right before med school running 4 agarose gels a day. Fun stuff.)

I'm sure that made the OP feel much, much better. I'm sure he/she thanks you for your contribution.

If it helps, I'm on the "older" boat as well. Some patients prefer an older looking doctor.

For those kids who are saying that they're 17 or 21 when they enter medical school, I'm sure it's a great feeling to be done with medical school at the nice, young age of 21 and 25.

But there'll be some people who feel uneasy about being seen by such a "young-looking" doc.

It balances out. Nothing to worry about in the long run.

If it helps, I'm on the "older" boat as well. Some patients prefer an older looking doctor.

For those kids who are saying that they're 17 or 21 when they enter medical school, I'm sure it's a great feeling to be done with medical school at the nice, young age of 21 and 25.

But there'll be some people who feel uneasy about being seen by such a "young-looking" doc.

Agree. I know an older nontrad who, while a med student, regularly was asked by patients, "well, what do you think, doctor?" after much younger attendings suggested a course of therapy. It pays to look the part.

I started my first year at 21 yo. To be honest I think I was more conscious about my age than the "older" students were. Also what law2doc is saying is true. I am young and I definitely look young, maybe more so than the normal, so I am always conscious about how I present myself because I know that first impressions are huge. While it will be nice to have my MD by 25, I think at points I may have to work harder to be taken seriously. As with all things in life, there are positives and negatives ;)

29.92054794520547945205479452054795 years.

I looked at the previous two years of classes. The oldest was 30 and 29.

I will feel old, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 - that's so young!

There's so many advantages to having experience, judgement and wisdom.

Viva la wrinkle!

Viva la bald spot!

Viva la cranky!

ok, time for a nap now. :sleep:

yes, agree with this 100%. i'm probably one of the youngest guys in my class, but a baby-face makes me look like a freshman/sophomore in college; maybe high school!
for the first year, while shadowing, they treated me like a 14 yo, and it was irritating.

i grew out facial hair, kept it rather trim and professional, and now people think i'm 30. but more than that, they treat me as an older person.

and i dont get carded anymore, altho too little too late

Agree. I know an older nontrad who, while a med student, regularly was asked by patients, "well, what do you think, doctor?" after much younger attendings suggested a course of therapy. It pays to look the part.

Law2Doc was actually 43 when he (she?) started med school. I have proof.

:laugh:

29.92054794520547945205479452054795 years.

I looked at the previous two years of classes. The oldest was 30 and 29.

I will feel old, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 - that's so young!

There's so many advantages to having experience, judgement and wisdom.

Viva la wrinkle!

Viva la bald spot!

Viva la cranky!

ok, time for a nap now. :sleep:

Really?? That's a super young class right there. I'm 30, and I'm nowhere near the oldest person in my class. Yeah, okay, maybe I'm in the top 10 but definitely closer to 10 than I am to 1. I can't imagine a class where 30's the oldest. The oldest student in our class is in his 50s.

36 years old here (4th year). Do I wish I had started earlier? sure, why not? On the plus side, I will be a practicing physician by 40 which most definitely beats never becoming a physician at all :cool:.

36 years old here (4th year). Do I wish I had started earlier? sure, why not? On the plus side, I will be a practicing physician by 40 which most definitely beats never becoming a physician at all :cool:.

I'm older than you & an MS0. I've also been married 17 years, have kids, etc.

I'm almost 23, and I'm an M1. You'll be older than the average, but certainly not anywhere near the outer limits. We've got plenty of people in their late 20s, and the oldest person in our class is in her forties (but she doesn't look it ;)).

Why thank you! You don't look a day over 30 yourself. ;)

43 and counting!

ill be 24 when i start. i think it is a pretty good age.... and about average for most schools right?

I am actually about to hit 26, but I envy the guys doing this much later in life. In fact, I will much rather do this in my late 30s. That way I can live multiple versions of life and enjoy the crap out of my youth.

Ditto in the biggest way. I turned 40 in my first week of med school. On questioning my age when I qualify, one friend said "would you rather be 45 and a doctor or 45 and not a doctor?"

Health permitting, I plan on a 20 year career more or less, perhaps with some part-time activity/teaching after that. Beats my first career by ten years and immeasurably more quality too. No regrets.

Look at it this way, when you are 40 you will have accomplished your dream (and the stupendously difficult task) of being a doctor. How many people get to say that they accomplished such a feat, ever?

Im 27 and there are plenty of older people at my school as well!

OK whew! I don't feel so bad then!

I'm turning 27 in 2 weeks. I was feeling bummed that I had to change my one year post-bacc plan into a two year plan, mostly to avoid putting myself and my husband into bankruptcy. :eek: This means I'll be 30 when I get there.

Yeah I wish I would've figured this out sooner, but going the long way really helped me figure out what I want.

So I won't be the oldest there, that makes me feel better! On the plus side, everyone in my family looks 10 years younger than they really are, so maybe I'll even "fit in" ;)

I'm accepted for MS1 start at age 39.... and I'm seriously considering deferring until next year (age 40). Clearly age-related dementia is setting in.:D

Cheer up sonny. I promise everyone in medical school is potty-trained.... and most have outgrown Barney. Heck, you might even find some who remember the Clinton presidency. :rolleyes:

if i get an acceptance (i'm waitlisted right now), then i'll be starting at 21. putting things in perspective, i still haven't outgrown pokemon.

if i get an acceptance (i'm waitlisted right now), then i'll be starting at 21. putting things in perspective, i still haven't outgrown pokemon.

oh man. :( i feel olldddd

thanks a lot insideedition!!!! :thumbdown:

I'll be 28 when I start this summer. The way I see it, a little older, yes... but also, a little wiser. ;) (I hope!)

I started medical school at 17...bitch.

That is freaking hilarious! We actually have a 17 year old in our class, too. But he's really mature and you wouldn't be able to tell in a lot of ways. I think he's the tallest one in our class.

But our average age is around 25... you're fine. =)
Plus, more experience = better doctor, right?

That is freaking hilarious! We actually have a 17 year old in our class, too. But he's really mature and you wouldn't be able to tell in a lot of ways. I think he's the tallest one in our class.

But our average age is around 25... you're fine. =)
Plus, more experience = better doctor, right?

Yeah, that kid is a total stud.

If I'm starting to feel old at 24, 30 is way over the hill....

:hardy:

Relax. You have plenty of time. I am currently 3 weeks from the end of the MS2 year and 48 years old. Grades have been almost all honors. No, I can no longer out drink my classmates but I can out study them easily. Age brings with it a measure of focus and clarity as well as a knowledge of superior single malt scotch. After the initial shock of starting med school, you will do just fine.

:luck: :luck: :luck:

I think you're worrying about nothing. I started at age 31. No biggie. There are several people in my class over age 30. Come hang out with us in the nontrad forum. There are lots more of us.

On a side note, hi, Learfan! Long time no see.

I posponed entering med school one more year-I want more experience etc.
I'll be 23 when I get in and I was feeling wrong about it...how dumb!:D

I'm a 37-yo MS1, and not the oldest in my class either! :D