How old can the LOR’s be if applying in 2013 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveee2smile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was planning to apply this past summer 2012 and therefore I requested all my professors to submit their letters to my school’s Health Professions Letter Forwarding Office which serves to keep all the letters until students request them to be send out. I didn’t end up applying in 2012 cycle. As a result, my professors’ letters were submitted and dated in Summer/July 2012 and I will be applying this coming June 2013. Do you guys know if the letters will be outdated for submission in the 2013 cycle? Should I drive back the long way to campus to meet and request my professors to resubmit their letters just for an updated date or, are the 2012 dated letters be okay? Does anyone know if dental admissions have date requirements on the LoRs? Has anyone been asked by dental admissions why their letters are not as up-to-date as possible?

Any recommendations or information is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbup: Wondering about this as well...

Not sure about your school but I was under the impression that most schools that offered such a service only held letters for that current application cycle.... I'm guessing that's why no one knows. You could always just call AADSAS, they've always been good at clarifying app instructions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would time matter ? A reference letter will always be a reference letter.....i guess as long as it's not 10 years old or something

Why would time matter ? A reference letter will always be a reference letter.....i guess as long as it's not 10 years old or something

I think OP meant if you're a reapplicant - can you use the same exact letters from the previous cycle or should they be updated? Say the letter has a date of 2011 and you're applying now in 2013, that doesn't matter? I guess my thought is that you should update the professor of what you've been doing since the time the letter was written, but obviously this wouldn't reflect anything about the specific class so, nevermind, I answered my own question.. :laugh:

This is stretching it (because I think one year old is fine), but maybe ask the writers politely to just re-issue the letter and re-date it. The most they have to do is go into Microsoft Word and change they date. I am sure they will comply.

I think OP meant if you're a reapplicant - can you use the same exact letters from the previous cycle or should they be updated? Say the letter has a date of 2011 and you're applying now in 2013, that doesn't matter? I guess my thought is that you should update the professor of what you've been doing since the time the letter was written, but obviously this wouldn't reflect anything about the specific class so, nevermind, I answered my own question.. :laugh:

Last edited:
Much Thanks Everyone!!!

UCLA2017: Thank you!! Yes I didn't end up submitting them to AADSAS but you are a testament that a one year old LOR is still good. I guess after all if it's feasible to get in touch with the professors, it would never hurt to have a fresh letter with anything significant done since then and a new date. The only thing is that it just takes some time to get it all taken care of ;) Thank you all again!!