How old can your veterinary experience on an application be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehopefulvet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying to vet school in two years (I just have some pre-reqs that I have to take in sequence). I came from an arts background and was unhappy with that and not sure of what I wanted to do. I was thinking about a veterinary career path, so after dropping out of school I got a job working at a vet. I was a receptionist/assistant. Some days I'd work the front desk, some days I'd be in the back working with the doctors/techs all day. Unfortunately though, I really didn't like the clinic I was at. It was shady and the doctors and techs were very like bitter and mean. I quit after five months. I almost didn't want to become a vet anymore because of that place, but after some time working at other clinics and getting back to school I decided I am going to go for it after all. Now I am just those few sequenced classes away from vet school, and while I've gotten shadowing hours from other places, I feel kind of disappointed that I have all these hours (like 500+ hours) with that vet that I wasn't going to include into my application because 1. it was four years ago NOW so it will be six years old when I apply, and 2. I really don't like the staff there and don't really care for them to have a say in my veterinary application.

Is six year old experience too old and should I even bother including this place if I hated it and don't really want to be associated with it?

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning on applying to vet school in two years (I just have some pre-reqs that I have to take in sequence). I came from an arts background and was unhappy with that and not sure of what I wanted to do. I was thinking about a veterinary career path, so after dropping out of school I got a job working at a vet. I was a receptionist/assistant. Some days I'd work the front desk, some days I'd be in the back working with the doctors/techs all day. Unfortunately though, I really didn't like the clinic I was at. It was shady and the doctors and techs were very like bitter and mean. I quit after five months. I almost didn't want to become a vet anymore because of that place, but after some time working at other clinics and getting back to school I decided I am going to go for it after all. Now I am just those few sequenced classes away from vet school, and while I've gotten shadowing hours from other places, I feel kind of disappointed that I have all these hours (like 500+ hours) with that vet that I wasn't going to include into my application because 1. it was four years ago NOW so it will be six years old when I apply, and 2. I really don't like the staff there and don't really care for them to have a say in my veterinary application.

Is six year old experience too old and should I even bother including this place if I hated it and don't really want to be associated with it?
Tbh I’d still include it since it is a big chunk of experience. You don’t have to allow schools to contact that clinic so they will have no say in your app. Unless you have a lot of hours shadowing other places, I’d include it because it IS still 500 hours of experience. If you’re able to get a lot more hours shadowing and at multiple places by the time you apply, you can leave it off if you choose, but only if you have a good amount of hours without it.

Reactions: 2 users

I agree with Ski, it's definitely not too old of an experience to include! VMCAS recommends to include all experiences starting with high school, so that's 7 years worth of experience for most people, possibly decades for non-traditional applicants.

Reactions: 1 users