How old can your veterinary experience on an application be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thehopefulvet

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am planning on applying to vet school in two years (I just have some pre-reqs that I have to take in sequence). I came from an arts background and was unhappy with that and not sure of what I wanted to do. I was thinking about a veterinary career path, so after dropping out of school I got a job working at a vet. I was a receptionist/assistant. Some days I'd work the front desk, some days I'd be in the back working with the doctors/techs all day. Unfortunately though, I really didn't like the clinic I was at. It was shady and the doctors and techs were very like bitter and mean. I quit after five months. I almost didn't want to become a vet anymore because of that place, but after some time working at other clinics and getting back to school I decided I am going to go for it after all. Now I am just those few sequenced classes away from vet school, and while I've gotten shadowing hours from other places, I feel kind of disappointed that I have all these hours (like 500+ hours) with that vet that I wasn't going to include into my application because 1. it was four years ago NOW so it will be six years old when I apply, and 2. I really don't like the staff there and don't really care for them to have a say in my veterinary application.

Is six year old experience too old and should I even bother including this place if I hated it and don't really want to be associated with it?
 
I am planning on applying to vet school in two years (I just have some pre-reqs that I have to take in sequence). I came from an arts background and was unhappy with that and not sure of what I wanted to do. I was thinking about a veterinary career path, so after dropping out of school I got a job working at a vet. I was a receptionist/assistant. Some days I'd work the front desk, some days I'd be in the back working with the doctors/techs all day. Unfortunately though, I really didn't like the clinic I was at. It was shady and the doctors and techs were very like bitter and mean. I quit after five months. I almost didn't want to become a vet anymore because of that place, but after some time working at other clinics and getting back to school I decided I am going to go for it after all. Now I am just those few sequenced classes away from vet school, and while I've gotten shadowing hours from other places, I feel kind of disappointed that I have all these hours (like 500+ hours) with that vet that I wasn't going to include into my application because 1. it was four years ago NOW so it will be six years old when I apply, and 2. I really don't like the staff there and don't really care for them to have a say in my veterinary application.

Is six year old experience too old and should I even bother including this place if I hated it and don't really want to be associated with it?
Tbh I’d still include it since it is a big chunk of experience. You don’t have to allow schools to contact that clinic so they will have no say in your app. Unless you have a lot of hours shadowing other places, I’d include it because it IS still 500 hours of experience. If you’re able to get a lot more hours shadowing and at multiple places by the time you apply, you can leave it off if you choose, but only if you have a good amount of hours without it.
 
I am planning on applying to vet school in two years (I just have some pre-reqs that I have to take in sequence). I came from an arts background and was unhappy with that and not sure of what I wanted to do. I was thinking about a veterinary career path, so after dropping out of school I got a job working at a vet. I was a receptionist/assistant. Some days I'd work the front desk, some days I'd be in the back working with the doctors/techs all day. Unfortunately though, I really didn't like the clinic I was at. It was shady and the doctors and techs were very like bitter and mean. I quit after five months. I almost didn't want to become a vet anymore because of that place, but after some time working at other clinics and getting back to school I decided I am going to go for it after all. Now I am just those few sequenced classes away from vet school, and while I've gotten shadowing hours from other places, I feel kind of disappointed that I have all these hours (like 500+ hours) with that vet that I wasn't going to include into my application because 1. it was four years ago NOW so it will be six years old when I apply, and 2. I really don't like the staff there and don't really care for them to have a say in my veterinary application.

Is six year old experience too old and should I even bother including this place if I hated it and don't really want to be associated with it?
I agree with Ski, it's definitely not too old of an experience to include! VMCAS recommends to include all experiences starting with high school, so that's 7 years worth of experience for most people, possibly decades for non-traditional applicants.