How Old Is Too Old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lanntair

Lanntair
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be applying in June, and will also turn 40 that same month. Over the past year, I've been taking premed coursework, since my undergraduate major was in physics and philosophy.

As for my background, I went to one of the military academies, so after graduation I was an officer for three years, then went to law school and practiced transactional law for four years before starting my own business four years ago. I currently split time between my business and law.

One of our premed advisers told another aspiring 39 year old that it's difficult to get into medical school at 40. (This other candidate had a very different background than I, so I'm not sure if that might partially explain the comment.) But it surprised me a little, and I was curious what other people out there have heard (any adcoms want to chime in?)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=278319

I think you'll find that you are not alone. I've not yet gone through the application process, so others likely can speak more to your questions. Regardless, your age should not be an exclusionary factor.

I started med school with a guy who was 57. His kids were all older than me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Search through the forum... there are a lot of threads with similar questions.

Some schools are more nontrad-friendly than others. DO schools in particular are very welcoming of older students.

I don't think it's any more difficult to get into med school at 40 than it is at 20-25. It's insanely hard to get in as a 20-25 year old. Those numbers again: 42,300 MD applicants last year, 17,800 got seats. The DO numbers are just as hard core.

Being over 40 or over 30 doesn't give us a free pass to skip any of the application madness. We have to have great stats, great extra-curriculars, great LORs, apply early and broadly, be willing to move, be willing to go $200k in debt, most likely be willing to do DO, and be willing to handle rejection. I think it's reasonable that there's an extra expectation on us over-30 candidates that we have something to show for our extra 10-20 years in the world, and not be all burned out and dried up and complacent and precious.

Watch out for anecdotes about over-30 candidates who say that the app process is unfair to us. There seems to be an abundance of over-30 candidates who think they only need to apply to one school because they have a family and shouldn't have to move, or they don't need to get a good MCAT score because they have a neuro PhD, or otherwise don't need to jump through the same hoops as everybody else. That's a bunch of crap. Nobody's entitled to a medical education.

Lastly, make sure you know what you're getting into. Med school is like chemotherapy: if it ALMOST kills you, and you WISH you could just die instead of finishing it, then it's working the way it's SUPPOSED to. Don't throw everything away to get in and then find out you don't want to be there.

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted.

I'll be applying in June, and will also turn 40 that same month. Over the past year, I've been taking premed coursework, since my undergraduate major was in physics and philosophy.

As for my background, I went to one of the military academies, so after graduation I was an officer for three years, then went to law school and practiced transactional law for four years before starting my own business four years ago. I currently split time between my business and law.

One of our premed advisers told another aspiring 39 year old that it's difficult to get into medical school at 40. (This other candidate had a very different background than I, so I'm not sure if that might partially explain the comment.) But it surprised me a little, and I was curious what other people out there have heard (any adcoms want to chime in?)

Thanks!
When I was in college, I had a frequent classmate taking the same premed classes as I... and she was like 47 at the time.. she was absolutely super!
She knew exactly what she wanted and how she was gonna get it...ie she had a target.. and she hit it right on the bulls-eye...UCSF!!
That is one hard school to get into and she did it at her age...
And she didn't look young at all.. her hair was completely gray... but obviously her situation proves that if you are an impressive applicant regardless of age, you'll make it...at least Jane did!

Don't let the age throw you, lanntair. I'll be 41 when I graduate, and I'm not the oldest person in my class.

Age won't hurt you or help you. You still need the whole package like a 22-year-old needs to have (numbers, LORs, good essays, etc...). You also need to tell a good story as to why you want to go through it and why you want to pay $200K for an another degree and then work 3-7+ years as a resident at 80 hours a week for $40k a year.

OP, I plan to apply next summer and will then turn 40 in August . Happy 40th to us :hardy:

I am 39 and was accepted for August 2007 at every school I interviewed at. I deffered start to August 2009 at my state school. Personally, I think my maturity and experience made the interviews relatively enjoyable. Age came up, but clearly was NOT an issue.

SO, Ill be 40 when I matriculate.

Happy fricking 40.... sheesh, I really dont feel over the hill, but maybe it will catch up to soon. :hardy:

:thumbup: Dead. I love it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, we haven't had one of these threads in a while. I was 42 when I started pre-reqs in night school, 44 when I applied, and 45 just a few days after school started. It can be done!

One of our premed advisers told another aspiring 39 year old that it's difficult to get into medical school at 40.
Actually, I agree. While all medical schools will take non-traditionals, I think a few schools choke on the over-40 crowd - it's never discussed because it's not legal - and I applied very broadly with a very good app - other than age.

While I don't agree with DrMidlife that there are no additional obstacles if you're over 40, I do agree absolutely with the rest of the post. Nobody, absolutely nobody breezes into medical school on an entitlement. It's tough to get the grades, tough to get the right MCAT, tough to do a good essay and get the interviews - for everyone. The process is also expensive if you add everything up. And it gets even tougher when you hit medical school - the work is challenging, the volume is overwhelming, the time demands can be terribly tough on us at an older age (when I pull an all-nighter at age 46 - trust me, it is not attractive the next morning). I think the initial adjustment is harder at an older age, too - first semester almost killed me. But, I've adjusted and I'm having a great time and I can't imagine being anywhere else.

To me, there is only one reason to apply to medical school as a non-traditional - you can no longer imagine doing anything with the rest of your life except becoming a good physician. If that's your attitude and you're willing to do what it takes to compete along with everyone else - I'd say your chances are good. Best of luck.

Well, we haven't had one of these threads in a while. I was 42 when I started pre-reqs in night school, 44 when I applied, and 45 just a few days after school started. It can be done!

Actually, I agree. While all medical schools will take non-traditionals, I think a few schools choke on the over-40 crowd - it's never discussed because it's not legal - and I applied very broadly with a very good app - other than age.

While I don't agree with DrMidlife that there are no additional obstacles if you're over 40, I do agree absolutely with the rest of the post. Nobody, absolutely nobody breezes into medical school on an entitlement. It's tough to get the grades, tough to get the right MCAT, tough to do a good essay and get the interviews - for everyone. The process is also expensive if you add everything up. And it gets even tougher when you hit medical school - the work is challenging, the volume is overwhelming, the time demands can be terribly tough on us at an older age (when I pull an all-nighter at age 46 - trust me, it is not attractive the next morning). I think the initial adjustment is harder at an older age, too - first semester almost killed me. But, I've adjusted and I'm having a great time and I can't imagine being anywhere else.

To me, there is only one reason to apply to medical school as a non-traditional - you can no longer imagine doing anything with the rest of your life except becoming a good physician. If that's your attitude and you're willing to do what it takes to compete along with everyone else - I'd say your chances are good. Best of luck.

BTW, Dr. Peeples says Hi. You really impressed him. He mentions you quite a lot. How in heck am I going to live up to the standards you set? LOL

There are two areas in which, at 46, I particularly struggle, and in which I probably wouldn't have as a younger student:

1) I just can't function when sleep-deprived (how, I wonder, will I make it through residency?). I met several times with my advisor during my first year. He was concerned because, though my study habits were good, I was on the borderline of failing a couple of classes. His suggestion: sleep one hour less each night, thus freeing up more study time. :laugh: (very funny, as I was just getting by on my 6&1/2 hours per night as it was)
2) With children, it's extremely difficult to maintain the posture of "we'll do that together in 2 weeks/mos/years (!). I can't count the number of times I have said, "I'm sorry, I just can't do that right now" (watch a movie, listen to a song, go for a walk, play a game, talk about a book, whatever)

I would also add that accruing the $200K debt at this age is daunting, but I trust my future income will justify it! It has certainly been motivation to stay on the path, since there is no other way to pay it back, but to be a doctor!

I've heard it said that "what does not KILL one makes one stronger" -- I will add that one must be very tough, indeed, to survive med school. This is more difficult than I could have possibly imagined, but I am getting stronger and stronger, and so will you all, who are on this path with me!

Best wishes to all of you!

BTW, Dr. Peeples says Hi. You really impressed him. He mentions you quite a lot. How in heck am I going to live up to the standards you set? LOL
LOL!! My true identity is busted!! Please give my best to Dr. Peeples. He's a great guy. You might tell him that I had a great year last year (after a small nervous breakdown in the first semester) and my scholarships were renewed for this year - I'll be back in Tulsa July 1 to start my clinical years on the Tulsa campus - I can't believe how the two years have flown. You're getting a first-class organic education - where else could you get a TU professor for TCC rates? Don't ever let anybody put you down for taking classes at TCC when you go to apply. TCC Southeast has some of the best laboratory space for undergraduates in Oklahoma and they've assembled some fantastic instructors. It's a first-class pre-health program. If you have time, I'd also recommend Cell Bio and Biochemistry at the NSU Broken Arrow campus. Dr. Sue Woods for Biochemistry is phenomenal - her husband is a physician professor for OU and she's determined to get her students ready for medical school - and does a beautiful job.

LOL!! My true identity is busted!! Please give my best to Dr. Peeples. He's a great guy. You might tell him that I had a great year last year (after a small nervous breakdown in the first semester) and my scholarships were renewed for this year - I'll be back in Tulsa July 1 to start my clinical years on the Tulsa campus - I can't believe how the two years have flown. You're getting a first-class organic education - where else could you get a TU professor for TCC rates? Don't ever let anybody put you down for taking classes at TCC when you go to apply. TCC Southeast has some of the best laboratory space for undergraduates in Oklahoma and they've assembled some fantastic instructors. It's a first-class pre-health program. If you have time, I'd also recommend Cell Bio and Biochemistry at the NSU Broken Arrow campus. Dr. Sue Woods for Biochemistry is phenomenal - her husband is a physician professor for OU and she's determined to get her students ready for medical school - and does a beautiful job.

I'll tell him tomorrow in class. I agree with you about the high quality of the science instructors at TCC. I had Marva Volk for Micro Bio (she thinks you're great, too, btw). Thanks for the NSU BA recommendations. I plan on taking upper division science courses there next fall. I only hope they've got some good class choices at night since I work full-time. I'll be finished with my prereqs this spring and I'll apply June 1. I'll probably take the MCAT in June or July.

Thanks!

Do not despair. I have met many numerous old military people at my school - including one from West Point. He's about 35 - so you are not too old at all - and he is doing very good in his studies - infact he's doing far better than me.

Also, keep in mind that while some adcoms might say you are too old, I have met a few who like canidates such as you since you have a very broad background - you are like almost like "handiman" - and for some adcoms they like that a lot.

I would call up some schools, ask students, get a general feeling for the program you are applying to - that way you know which ones you have the best shot at getting into.

Thanks!

Your age as a single factor is not going to keep you out of medical school if you are otherwise qualified. I was accepted by six medical schools at age 45 and matched into General Surgery Residency at age 49.

The key point to realize is that you (as an individual) need to have the energy and stamia at any age to get through a challenging curriculum. I have seen 25-year-olds who were pretty tired and 60-year-olds who have far more energy than myself.

The other factor that you need to consider is the strength of your academics meaning MCAT and undergraduate GPA. Age and extracurricular activities will NOT make up for a poor academics. Being non-traditional will not make up for poor academics.

The oldest person in my class started medical school at age 53 and graduated at age 57. He is now practicing Family Medicine on a Native American reservation with his medical school debt covered by a Public Heath Scholarship. it was a sacrifice for his family but he made things work and did very well.

I have never rejected an applicant because of age alone. I have rejected applicants who were not competitive enough based on the competitiveness (academic) of the rest of the applicant pool to my two medical colleges. In one of my schools, a 52-year-old has been offered admission. She had the grades/MCAT score and outstanding extracurricular activities. She had been a Physical Therapist before applying to medical school.

Our age does not matter its our heart that matters! The desire to become a physician and the ability to get through school requires the heart to really want to help people and make a diffirence in the lives of patients.

After all we are only as old as our connective tissue!

I applied to med school at 39. I got into 2 US MD programs and 1 DO. I went the MD route. Today I'm a practicing board certified internist. Going to medical school was the best decision I ever made in my life. I have a strong sense of accomplishment and (for the most part) enjoy the challenge of taking care of patients.

I went to a state school and there were about 15 students older than 30.
At first I felt like a fish out of water. Then I remembered what one of my interviewers told me: "In few weeks you'll all be in so much trouble that your age won't make a difference." He was right.

Go for it. Do something wonderful with your life!

Totally!!!