How PDs Actually Read Your LORs — An Insider's Perspective

Started by PD_Insider
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PD_Insider

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've reviewed thousands of Letters of Recommendation over the years as a Program Director, and I want to share some things most applicants — especially IMGs — don't realize about how we actually evaluate them.


We spot form letters in seconds.
A generic letter that reads like a template with your name dropped in tells me one thing: the writer either doesn't know you well or didn't care enough to write something meaningful. Either way, it doesn't help you.


We know when the author doesn't know you well.
If there's no personal content in the letter — no specific examples, no anecdotes about your clinical performance or how you interacted with patients and the team — it reads like the writer was put on the spot and said yes out of obligation. That's not a letter. That's a resume someone else wrote about you.


We read between the lines.
If you have even a fraction of a doubt that someone might write you a lukewarm or middle-of-the-road letter — don't ask them. You are taking a golden opportunity away from someone who would write you a great one. One mediocre letter can quietly undermine an otherwise strong application.


Align your letter writers to the specialty you're applying to.
This is enormous, and most applicants miss it entirely. Here's an example. Let's say I'm an Internal Medicine PD. You submit letters from a pathologist, a surgeon, a radiologist, and maybe one IM attending. What does that tell me?

It tells me you don't know your audience. I'm an IM doctor. I want to hear from my IM colleagues about what makes you a good IM candidate — not a good pathologist or a good surgeon. IM physicians know the specific skills, qualities, and accomplishments that define a strong IM candidate beyond the six core competencies. They speak my language.

Beyond that, a misaligned letter set introduces doubt. As a PD, I start thinking: Did this applicant plan to apply to IM, or are they applying to whatever works? Did they not impress enough IM attendings to secure a letter? Did they not plan accordingly? You don't want me asking those questions.


A golden LOR checks these boxes:
The writer clearly knows you. They address your abilities across the core competencies with specific examples from your rotation — what you did, how you performed, how you interacted with patients and the team. It reads like someone who genuinely wants to advocate for you, not someone fulfilling a request.

That's the difference between a letter that moves you up the rank list and one that blends you into the middle of the distribution curve.

Here's the thing — addressing everything I just described is simpler than you think. There's a straightforward approach to securing a stellar LOR, and very few applicants know how to do it. It's not hard. I'll break it down in my next post.

Questions welcome.
 
You mentioned specialty alignment is key. But what if my absolute best clinical save happened during a surgery rotation? Is it still a bad idea to use that surgeon's letter if I’m applying for Internal Medicine?
 
I've reviewed thousands of Letters of Recommendation over the years as a Program Director, and I want to share some things most applicants — especially IMGs — don't realize about how we actually evaluate them.

We spot form letters in seconds.
A generic letter that reads like a template with your name dropped in tells me one thing: the writer either doesn't know you well or didn't care enough to write something meaningful. Either way, it doesn't help you.

We know when the author doesn't know you well.
If there's no personal content in the letter — no specific examples, no anecdotes about your clinical performance or how you interacted with patients and the team — it reads like the writer was put on the spot and said yes out of obligation. That's not a letter. That's a resume someone else wrote about you.
We read between the lines.
If you have even a fraction of a doubt that someone might write you a lukewarm or middle-of-the-road letter — don't ask them. You are taking a golden opportunity away from someone who would write you a great one. One mediocre letter can quietly undermine an otherwise strong application.
Align your letter writers to the specialty you're applying to.
This is enormous, and most applicants miss it entirely. Here's an example. Let's say I'm an Internal Medicine PD. You submit letters from a pathologist, a surgeon, a radiologist, and maybe one IM attending. What does that tell me?
It tells me you don't know your audience. I'm an IM doctor. I want to hear from my IM colleagues about what makes you a good IM candidate — not a good pathologist or a good surgeon. IM physicians know the specific skills, qualities, and accomplishments that define a strong IM candidate beyond the six core competencies. They speak my language.
Beyond that, a misaligned letter set introduces doubt. As a PD, I start thinking: Did this applicant plan to apply to IM, or are they applying to whatever works? Did they not impress enough IM attendings to secure a letter? Did they not plan accordingly? You don't want me asking those questions.
A golden LOR checks these boxes:
The writer clearly knows you. They address your abilities across the core competencies with specific examples from your rotation — what you did, how you performed, how you interacted with patients and the team. It reads like someone who genuinely wants to advocate for you, not someone fulfilling a request.
That's the difference between a letter that moves you up the rank list and one that blends you into the middle of the distribution curve.
Here's the thing — addressing everything I just described is simpler than you think. There's a straightforward approach to securing a stellar LOR, and very few applicants know how to do it. It's not hard. I'll break it down in my next post.
Questions welcome.
This is incredibly helpful insight-thank you for sharing it so clearly. It really highlights how much quality and alignment matter over just collecting letters for the sake of it. The point about choosing writers who truly know you and can speak specifically to your performance, especially within your intended specialty, is something many applicants overlook. Looking forward to your next post on how to secure a strong LOR, as that practical guidance would be very valuable.
 
I've reviewed thousands of Letters of Recommendation over the years as a Program Director, and I want to share some things most applicants — especially IMGs — don't realize about how we actually evaluate them.


We spot form letters in seconds.
A generic letter that reads like a template with your name dropped in tells me one thing: the writer either doesn't know you well or didn't care enough to write something meaningful. Either way, it doesn't help you.


We know when the author doesn't know you well.
If there's no personal content in the letter — no specific examples, no anecdotes about your clinical performance or how you interacted with patients and the team — it reads like the writer was put on the spot and said yes out of obligation. That's not a letter. That's a resume someone else wrote about you.


We read between the lines.
If you have even a fraction of a doubt that someone might write you a lukewarm or middle-of-the-road letter — don't ask them. You are taking a golden opportunity away from someone who would write you a great one. One mediocre letter can quietly undermine an otherwise strong application.


Align your letter writers to the specialty you're applying to.
This is enormous, and most applicants miss it entirely. Here's an example. Let's say I'm an Internal Medicine PD. You submit letters from a pathologist, a surgeon, a radiologist, and maybe one IM attending. What does that tell me?

It tells me you don't know your audience. I'm an IM doctor. I want to hear from my IM colleagues about what makes you a good IM candidate — not a good pathologist or a good surgeon. IM physicians know the specific skills, qualities, and accomplishments that define a strong IM candidate beyond the six core competencies. They speak my language.

Beyond that, a misaligned letter set introduces doubt. As a PD, I start thinking: Did this applicant plan to apply to IM, or are they applying to whatever works? Did they not impress enough IM attendings to secure a letter? Did they not plan accordingly? You don't want me asking those questions.


A golden LOR checks these boxes:
The writer clearly knows you. They address your abilities across the core competencies with specific examples from your rotation — what you did, how you performed, how you interacted with patients and the team. It reads like someone who genuinely wants to advocate for you, not someone fulfilling a request.
drive mad
That's the difference between a letter that moves you up the rank list and one that blends you into the middle of the distribution curve.

Here's the thing — addressing everything I just described is simpler than you think. There's a straightforward approach to securing a stellar LOR, and very few applicants know how to do it. It's not hard. I'll break it down in my next post.

Questions welcome.
What specific steps can applicants take to ensure their letter writers provide personalized and relevant content that aligns with the specialty they are applying to?