How perfect do MMI answers have to be? (to get accepted!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

younggunner94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I was recently preparing for an MMI interview, I began to wonder just how perfect are the answers that accepted candidates give? I mean, I don't believe it really is that hard to learn a systemized technique of answering ethically challenging questions. So what types of answers really seperate interviewees from the rest of the pack?

I find it hard to understand how a school can only accept ~18% of its interviewees from an MMI interview. Do some people just bomb these questions? What are they really looking for? Incredibly creative and perfect answers (that perhaps use outside knowledge), or just sound logic and empathetic reasoning used to reach a conclusion, along with good communication skills and eye contact?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Being genuine and true to your own values will go a long way for you. Unless you are a morally-corrupt person, in which case you should abandon medicine as a career.

I think they must rate you on various intangible measures like compassion, empathy, etc. In other words, how likable you are as a person and future doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
Not perfect. Though know you are 1) nervous, 2) have limited time, and 3) are not actually a physician/ethicist.

Say something intelligent and compassionate and you are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I was recently preparing for an MMI interview, I began to wonder just how perfect are the answers that accepted candidates give? I mean, I don't believe it really is that hard to learn a systemized technique of answering ethically challenging questions. So what types of answers really seperate interviewees from the rest of the pack?

I find it hard to understand how a school can only accept ~18% of its interviewees from an MMI interview. Do some people just bomb these questions? What are they really looking for? Incredibly creative and perfect answers (that perhaps use outside knowledge), or just sound logic and empathetic reasoning used to reach a conclusion, along with good communication skills and eye contact?

Thanks!
Going into the interview you are already in a position relative to the other people going into the interview. If you are one of the strongest candidates, as long as you don't bomb the interview you will be fine. If you just barely were good enough to get the interview, then you have to really kill it in order to move up. The logic you're using is faulty because post interview they still look at your entire application, not just the interview. Some people might have a pretty mediocre interview and still get in because they are still a stellar candidate overall.

For an MMI there is no "perfect" answer. In fact, it isn't really about your answer it's about your thought process used to arrive at the answer and your ability to see the merits of alternative answers. If you go in thinking there is one "right" answer, you are doing it very wrong.

for applicants with your stats, MMI answers historically have been 90-94% perfect.

There isn't a perfect answer to an MMI station, that's the point. Try not to think about how they might score it, just be thoughtful and honest. Obsessing about how others are scoring and how any perceived mistake will affect your chances will hurt your performance, I can promise that.