How quickly should Stim be considered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SageCraft

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two younger gentleman both referred to me for CRPS of the upper extremity, 6 weeks post surgery. One after a thumb surgery, the other after rotator cuff repair. They're both fairly miserable, on opioids/Gabapentin and doing PT. SGB's have been very helpful but only for a few days. I can see both of them requiring a Stim but it hasn't even been 2 months post-op. How aggressive are you guys with this in terms of time frame?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like to let the surgical wound heal first

Generally by the time they get to me though, it's already 6 - 12 months down the road. I would be comfortable being aggressive with a temporary PNS like SPR's Sprint that is not a permanent implant, but I would recommend waiting 6 - 12 months after ensuring the patients are actually engaged in appropriate PT, have failed multiple medication classes, and are fully engaged in psychology/CBT.

Opioids are a bad idea for CRPS

Reactions: 1 user

Speak of the devil and the tweets will come!

I have two younger gentleman both referred to me for CRPS of the upper extremity, 6 weeks post surgery. One after a thumb surgery, the other after rotator cuff repair. They're both fairly miserable, on opioids/Gabapentin and doing PT. SGB's have been very helpful but only for a few days. I can see both of them requiring a Stim but it hasn't even been 2 months post-op. How aggressive are you guys with this in terms of time frame?

You may consider repeating SGB with the addition of IV Vit C (3-4gms)......anecdotally have been amazed with this combo.

Attachments

• Vitamin C Review.pdf
    780.1 KB · Views: 58
You may consider repeating SGB with the addition of IV Vit C (3-4gms)......anecdotally have been amazed with this combo.

I have been doing oral Vit C (1000 mg/day x 60 days) for patients, and counseling them to use it pre/post surgical events due to the risk of CRPS recurrence

I have been doing oral Vit C (1000 mg/day x 60 days) for patients, and counseling them to use it pre/post surgical events due to the risk of CRPS recurrence
This is a great idea- I've always recommended Vit C prior to procedures as well.
I will say, once CRPS has developed the cat is out of the bag. How often do oral neuropathic agents/opioids/SGB etc make a long lasting difference though...I say stim as soon as possible rather than kick the can down field for 6-12 months of frustrating treatments, what do you have to lose? I mean that's the role of a trial...

Reactions: 2 users
I think it is pretty clear some of these guys are being paid to mention products on social media like the kardashians and beauty products

Reactions: 1 users
the RTC patient does not have CRPS. they just need more/better PT and maybe an intra-articular injection. see it all the time. unless their hand is blue/purple and not really moving, it probably isnt CRPS

Adhesive capsulitis mimics CRPS frequently, and I see pts with CRPS end up with AC frequently. I wouldn't consider cervical stim unless it is OBVIOUS it is CRPS. Cervical stim is just a different ballgame for me. The risks are higher.