How realistic is Kaplan test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeterDinklageDDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took full length 4 (I'm in the live class) and got the following scores, (which I'll be happy with, excluding PAT, if I get them on the real DAT):

AA: 23
PAT: 20
TS: 21
Bio: 19
Gen Chem: 20
OChem: 26
QR: 20
RC: 28

I'm worried because:

1.) I've heard that their PAT is too easy so am I basically screwed for the real DAT if I could only get 20 on Kaplan's?

2.) I'm not sure how the other sections compare to the real exam, anyone else hear anything regarding the comparison?

I am taking the test July 31st, have been studying since June 1st. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been searching around SDN and saw many people usually score higher on their real DAT but their PAT is too easy and usually score lower in that section.

What strategy have you been using for RC? Also, how have you been doing on your diagnostic and other full lengths?
I'm about to take FL #5 and will be finished in about 5 hours, I'll let you know how all my scores are.

I took the Kaplan course and have the Kaplan exams. They make their material much harder then actual because of the money back guarantee. They provide questions in Sciences harder then actual for this reason as well. Honestly your scores in the sciences are high for Kaplan.

Edit: I take my exam in a little over a month. This is information comes from multiple other sources, not my own experience.

Well.... This is disappointing. My test is tomorrow... lol... I'll let you know how I do.

Kaplan scores.png

Edit: FL#5 AA should be switched with bio.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well.... This is disappointing. My test is tomorrow... lol... I'll let you know how I do.

View attachment 193915
Honestly very few people think Kaplan is representative at all. Your bootcamp scores are solid, and I often hear that people score a few points higher than their bootcamp scores. Don't stress! good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys sorry.

For RC I use the Kaplan mapping method. Except I skim and look for key words, then go back depending on what the question asks.

Typical Average Student, how'd it go? I hope you did well! :)

Thanks everyone!

Hey guys sorry.

For RC I use the Kaplan mapping method. Except I skim and look for key words, then go back depending on what the question asks.

Typical Average Student, how'd it go? I hope you did well! :)

Thanks everyone!

Hey! My breakdown is here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/dat-breakdown-7-14-2015-aa21-ts21-pat23.1149671/
I didnt do too bad, Kaplan was not as representative of the real DAT but gives you good practice with taking a full length exam. I think the only thing that kaplan did well was holepunching and tfe. RC would probably be most on point but I had some really dense passages during the exam. You can read more on my breakdown

Last edited:
Hello @PeterDinklageDDS ,

I also took a Kaplan Course (Live Online) and found that their practice tests were rather hard. All of my Full Lengths did not go as well as my actual exam, and the fact that you already have a 23 AA is a great sign in my opinion. I wouldn't worry too much on their PAT section; yes, it's easier, but I think their scoring may scale it to take account for that (if its easier, more students are doing well, so it takes more correct answers to get a 20 than on Bootcamp, for example). I would keep practicing on Bootcamp to see the sort of difficulty you see on the exam, but the Full Lengths are great ways of building stamina. If you have any more questions for me, feel free to let me know. I just posted a breakdown yesterday, as well, so maybe that can be of help to you. Best of luck in your studies! :)

Hello @PeterDinklageDDS ,

I also took a Kaplan Course (Live Online) and found that their practice tests were rather hard. All of my Full Lengths did not go as well as my actual exam, and the fact that you already have a 23 AA is a great sign in my opinion. I wouldn't worry too much on their PAT section; yes, it's easier, but I think their scoring may scale it to take account for that (if its easier, more students are doing well, so it takes more correct answers to get a 20 than on Bootcamp, for example). I would keep practicing on Bootcamp to see the sort of difficulty you see on the exam, but the Full Lengths are great ways of building stamina. If you have any more questions for me, feel free to let me know. I just posted a breakdown yesterday, as well, so maybe that can be of help to you. Best of luck in your studies! :)

Thanks so much!!

Reactions: 1 user