How Safe Are MDApps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tabletop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if adcoms actually check MDApps at all. Some people are uber-specific about the info they put in there (and especially if you have an extremely high MCAT or something, it might be easy to figure out who you are). I know I keep mine relatively vague on purpose, so that I wouldn't run into that sort of a problem, but what are the chances that someone could really figure out who you are?

Members don't see this ad.

They have better things to do than scan through 1000s of profiles by state and time and then correlate them with a specific applicant. You might keep it vague, but if you're worried about that then keep track of everything you say on here with your link in your profile.

Seriously, these schools get thousands of applications. They interview several hundred people sometimes. That is just way too much effort.

Besides, what the hell are you putting on there to worry about? The application you sent them should have a lot more information than anything on there.

even if they did find out who exactly you were, why would it matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
hopefully they're too busy reveiwing your real application rather than stalking your mdapps. actually if i were an adcom, i would hella go on sdn and try to figure out who people are..which is probably why i will never be one haha

I still don't understand why people feel the need to make MDapps profiles the year (or 2, or 3, or 4...) before they actually apply. I guess it's more for typical pre-med ego stroking than anything actually informative.

Don't put anything stupid on your MDapps profiles. Don't put anything you wouldn't want your potential student interviewer to see. Most student interviewers are only a few years (at most) removed from MDapps themselves, and, if they care that much, they can figure out who you are from your GPA/MCAT/UG institution/ECs/age/etc. I would keep comments like "I'm going to interview at _________, but it's not my first choice" to a minimum.

Maybe someone listed selling cocaine as an EC on MDApps just for gigglez? Just an idea you know.

I doubt it would matter at all. They'd just see your list of schools. Big deal. Unless you put "safety" next to a school or something dumb like that.

I was just curious because sometimes I read stuff on here and I think, "wow, I'm sure they wouldn't want that school to know what they're saying about it"
...and then their MDApps are linked right under their avatar. I don't really think adcoms have the time or the willpower to scour the internet trying to link people to their online identities, but I just wonder if some people are just clueless as to the fact that it's possible to figure out who they are with the right information, or if they're just THAT confident that no one will bother.

I doubt it would matter at all. They'd just see your list of schools. Big deal. Unless you put "safety" next to a school or something dumb like that..

People DO dumb things like that.

I don't really think adcoms have the time or the willpower to scour the internet trying to link people to their online identities, but I just wonder if some people are just clueless as to the fact that it's possible to figure out who they are with the right information, or if they're just THAT confident that no one will bother.

"Adcoms" may not, but current students do peruse these forums from time to time. And we are hyper-vigilant when we see comments about our own schools. I'm certain that this is not unique to my medical school. Current students talk with and give feedback to Adcom members, and/or interview students and report back to the Adcoms. Always be on guard, put your best foot forward, and try really hard not to be stupid in public.

Actually, some of the most stupid comments I have seen arent what people say themselves, but what they say about other people. I think its fine to say you are happy with the people who wrote letters, but when they are listed by school/hospital and high title, ect.., I'm not really sure that makes the most sense. When I see comments like; "The chief of Cardiology at (insert top 10 hospital) is writing me a letter." I remember seeing one where the applicant had written that he was "homeboys" with the chair of admissions at a top ten school. I mean, who cares?

I remember seeing one where the applicant had written that he was "homeboys" with the chair of admissions at a top ten school. I mean, who cares?

I'm sorry, but when you're a lowly premed, you're not "homeboys" with the chair of anything.

Thought Content/Perceptions: Applicant is experiencing grandiose delusions and ideas of reference. (I'm currently on psych and I've just discovered what a wealth of psychotic sx abound here on SDN).

I remember seeing one where the applicant had written that he was "homeboys" with the chair of admissions at a top ten school. I mean, who cares?

It's like how fugly chicks always try to have a really hot friend.

(I'm currently on psych and I've just discovered what a wealth of psychotic sx abound here on SDN).

:laugh: You just figured that out? The psychosis here is a major reason I keep coming back - HUGELY entertaining. But then, it takes one to know one... ;) kwim?

Why would they waste their time with MDapps, when they can very easily go and find you on facebook/myspace??? Plus, facebook will have a whole lot more information about you, so you better not have a bunch of drunken pictures on there.

This thread inspired me to delete my prematurely made MDapps..

Also -- I'm definitely going to untag all my faded pictures on facebook for my app cycle. :mad:

Thanks for making me paranoid

just put facebook profile on private :rolleyes:

Lol I remember seeing this profile. I was like, "Wow your must be a really cool guy ....:rolleyes:"