How safe are we?

Started by Rajshah
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rajshah

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello
I'm interested in becoming a radiologist, however there is one thing concerning me.
My job would involve barium studies such as enemas and swallows and perhaps some interventional work, while I'm training, and maybe when I specialise.
I have been told that even with todays sophisticated equipment, there is increased exposure to ionising radiation to the radiologist.
The reason this concerns me is I feel that I would not want to enter a specialty where I will get premature cancer, cataracts, skin burns etc.... Or have mutations appearing in my kids (like those from chernobyl and hiroshima)!!

Please, please advise me. I really think radiology is a fascinating subject.
Are these risks a reality and are we safe as radiologists?

Thanks
 
Most radiologists I know have either an extra head or a superfluous nipple. Really makes you think.
 
Rajshah said:
Hello
I'm interested in becoming a radiologist, however there is one thing concerning me.
My job would involve barium studies such as enemas and swallows and perhaps some interventional work, while I'm training, and maybe when I specialise.
I have been told that even with todays sophisticated equipment, there is increased exposure to ionising radiation to the radiologist.
The reason this concerns me is I feel that I would not want to enter a specialty where I will get premature cancer, cataracts, skin burns etc.... Or have mutations appearing in my kids (like those from chernobyl and hiroshima)!!

Please, please advise me. I really think radiology is a fascinating subject.
Are these risks a reality and are we safe as radiologists?

Thanks


Some studies came out a decade or so ago saying that these days (there were some problems 60 years ago or so) radiologists have a lower incidence of CA than other physicians. I wouldn't sweat it.

But, personally, I think you're doomed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just as an anecdotal joke, I'd say you're more likely to develop skin cancer from all the vacation time on the beach without sunscreen.

But I know nothing at this point. 😉
 
Rajshah said:
Please, please advise me. I really think radiology is a fascinating subject.
Are these risks a reality and are we safe as radiologists?

Thanks

There are risks in everything we do-- did you have this degree of anxiety when you drove your car to work this morning?

Radiation exposure caries known risks, which can be minimized with a proper understanding of radiation physics and radiobiology.

Radiation exposure is not unique to radiology. Orthopedists, neurosurgeons, and especially interventional cardiologists get a massive amount of radiation exposure but get no formal training in radiation safety. At least as a radiologist you will have a better understanding of radiation biology and how to reduce risk.