How screwed am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dumadr.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
West coast DO with only 4 ii at this point. Low class rank but >500 on COMLEX 1 and 2 and no failures or red flags. I applied to 65 programs, including many that I have geographical or family ties to, and was told that I could expect around 8-10 interviews. However, we are nearing the end of October and I haven't heard anything for two weeks. Is this pretty much it? I feel like my application cycle was over before it began.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you email programs reiterating your ties?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
West coast DO with only 4 ii at this point. Low class rank but >500 on COMLEX 1 and 2 and no failures or red flags. I applied to 65 programs, including many that I have geographical or family ties to, and was told that I could expect around 8-10 interviews. However, we are nearing the end of October and I haven't heard anything for two weeks. Is this pretty much it? I feel like my application cycle was over before it began.

Did you take step?

I can tell you what's going on in my class to put things in perspective...also a west coast DO, perhaps maybe we are even classmates...

Interviews are ranging from 1-13 right now across the 10ish of us who are applying psych. The bulk are around 6 interviews. Based on what I do know, I see a trend that those who didn't take step have fewer invites. I would consider adding more programs, including all the AOA if you haven't, as well as some IM/FM backups.

Reactions: 1 users
I can tell you what's going on in my class to put things in perspective...also a west coast DO, perhaps maybe we are even classmates...

Interviews are ranging from 1-13 right now across the 10ish of us who are applying psych. The bulk are around 6 interviews. Based on what I do know, I see a trend that those who didn't take step have fewer invites. I would consider adding more programs, including all the AOA if you haven't, as well as some IM/FM backups.

Good advice, but my concern is that the program I'm auditioning at and is my top choice is ACGME, and if I apply to AOA and match in one of those then I understand I am pulled from the AOA match.

In regards to IM/FM I honestly don't feel like I could be happy in those fields. Psych is just what I've wanted to do for so long and I really didn't see myself enjoying doing IM/FM for a career while on my clinical rotations. I love Psych, it just doesn't seem to love me back.

Good advice, but my concern is that the program I'm auditioning at and is my top choice is ACGME, and if I apply to AOA and match in one of those then I understand I am pulled from the AOA match.

In regards to IM/FM I honestly don't feel like I could be happy in those fields. Psych is just what I've wanted to do for so long and I really didn't see myself enjoying doing IM/FM for a career while on my clinical rotations. I love Psych, it just doesn't seem to love me back.

It's definitely a gamble to apply AOA. But it's kind of win win. If you get pulled out of ACGME, congrats youre going to be a psychiatrist. If you don't, you're sitll in the running for your top choices, but of course run the risk of not matching at any of them. I say increase your odds to do the only job in medicine you would be happy with.

I'd probably apply to some lower tier MD programs or some DO programs you like. I had MEGA red flags and barely passed both steps first try but I got over 10 invites. This was for the 2011 match.

I thought the exact same thing when I applied for psych and I am applying for a second residency in FP next year. Maybe at least apply for MD transitional years or a DO TRI. I did a TRI when I first applied, I was geographically limited and couldn't apply to too many programs for family reasons. Or worst case scenario if you don't match in psych maybe you can pick up a DO TRI after the match.

Reactions: 1 user