How should a nontrad choose schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artsciencelove

Class of 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
...Haven't got my MCAT scores back yet, but I am expecting 35+.

Repost this question after you get your MCAT scores back. This will make a huge difference as to what people are going to advise will be reasonable vs safety vs unreasonable for you to focus on. It's sort of the golden rule of SDN not to assume a high score until you get the piece of paper. Most people don't get 35+ even if they are "expecting" it -- until you get those scores it's folly to "assume" a score, and a waste of everyone's time to advise you based on a score you haven't gotten yet.

L2D is right in that people can help you with your list better once your actual stats are known. However, in the mean time, you should get your app submitted so it can be verified and ready to go. Choose any schools you are sure you will apply to no matter what (sounds like Arizona at least), pay the fee, and hit "Submit." This will at least hold your place in the 5-6-week verification queue.

When your scores come in you can come back here and get more specific advice on the schools list and then add those schools through AMCAS.

I understand the frustration of waiting for advice, sorry to have to tell you to wait some more.

Members don't see this ad :)
My last AAMC practice test was 39 (13 PS, 12 BS, 14 VR). I improved steadily throughout my 2 month study period. The real MCAT was equivalent in terms of difficulty. That is what I'm basing my expected score on. I don't feel like I'm wasting anyone's time by expecting a 35.

My last AAMC practice test was 39 (13 PS, 12 BS, 14 VR). I improved steadily throughout my 2 month study period. The real MCAT was equivalent in terms of difficulty. That is what I'm basing my expected score on. I don't feel like I'm wasting anyone's time by expecting a 35. I know my capabilities.
I think the point is a lot of people are surprised by their scores no matter how much they prep. A lot of people are not surprised as well. Anyone who feels you are wasting their time can feel free not to respond.

I would go with the comment above, apply to your most likely and wait until you have your scores to make a final decision on the others. :luck: on the MCAT.

All you people need to quit being an elitest and quit the "I'll believe your 35+ MCAT score when I see" (aka I'm jealous that you got a 35 MCAT and don't want to give you good advice b/c you'll be my competition). Give the poor man a break. If he lied that he got a 36 MCAT -- no one would have known or questioned him and would have given him the advice he was seeking.

I was under the impression it was necessary to apply to all potential schools at the time the application is submitted. That's actually quite a relief for me, since although I'm confident in my ability, I'm not trying to deny surprises can happen even when one is well-prepared. Especially with VR, luck is a factor. I am even continuing to take practice exams periodically, so I'm ready to take the MCAT again should that become necessary. Thanks for the advice, I will follow it.

All you people need to quit being an elitest and quit the "I'll believe your 35+ MCAT score when I see" (aka I'm jealous that you got a 35 MCAT and don't want to give you good advice b/c you'll be my competition). Give the poor man a break. If he lied that he got a 36 MCAT -- no one would have known or questioned him and would have given him the advice he was seeking.

Um, it's hard to be "jealous" of an MCAT score once you are already years past that stage. Nobody is saying he's lying, just that the time is not ripe to advise him yet. If you peruse the "what are my chances" threads, you will see that the "assume I score a X on my MCAT" statement is somewhat epidemic, which is why a lot of us frown on that notion. Since actually getting a particular score is integral to any advice, advice at this juncture is going to be a waste.

I was under the impression it was necessary to apply to all potential schools at the time the application is submitted. That's actually quite a relief for me, since although I'm confident in my ability, I'm not trying to deny surprises can happen even when one is well-prepared. Especially with VR, luck is a factor. I am even continuing to take practice exams periodically, so I'm ready to take the MCAT again should that become necessary. Thanks for the advice, I will follow it.
Nope, as long as you're not Early Decision, it's my understanding that you can add schools at pretty much any time.

Good when your scores come out!!!

Bumping this since I got my scores back today. Got a 35 like I suspected. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me about my school selection process. Thanks for the help!

Also, my score on the writing sample was VERY low, lower by far than any practice sample I did, and lower than I would have believed possible. I'm requesting a re-score, but how else should I handle this issue?

Bumping this since I got my scores back today. Got a 35 like I suspected. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me about my school selection process. Thanks for the help!

Your numbers are good, so I imagine you will get some consideration from many of the places you listed. I would probably be inclined to be a bit broader in the cities you have selected -- if you are going to look at one DC or Philly school not sure why you wouldn't look at the others, etc.