How Should a Reinvention Student Write Their Personal Statement

May 1, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
The general advice appears to recommend addressing my low GPA (I've had 90 credits @3.95, but cGPA is still 3.27). How did other reinventors address their red flags? I want my personal statement to strike a positive note about growth, introspection, and resiliency. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Now that I'm reading more I'm getting some conflicting advice. Should the low GPA be mentioned in the personal statement?

Last edited:

Sfts_88

2+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Do not mention it in your personal statement. I did not mention my low gpa at all and only brought it up in a secondary or interview if directly asked. Your personal statement should be about why you want to pursue medicine NOT your grades.

adcoms can see your grades and the trend speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Do it.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I would not mention it. You don’t want to draw attention to negatives. They have your grades. They can see you have had 90 credits of an almost 4.0. If they want to know about your prior stuff they’ll ask.

I had a 3.4 cGPA even with 60 credits of a 3.9 and did not address it at all in my personal statement. The personal statement is to show them why you want to be a physician, not address your shortcomings.

About the Ads
Mar 18, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Reinvention student here. Had a sub 3.0 sGPA and I've had an extremely fortunate cycle thus far. Do NOT bring up your prior weaknesses and poor academics in your personal statement. Focus on positives: why you want to be a physician, what have you done to prepare yourself for this career, and show that you are a reflective and mature individual. Your improved grades will speak for themself.

ekmf27050

2+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2017
I "reinvented" to a 3.4/3.3 science. Talk about post-reinvention, not pre-reinvention.

Example: "My senior year/postbacc/masters I was flexible in exploring new, more efficient study strategies. This allowed me to gain valuable experience shadowing Dr. X in his primary care clinic/building orphanages with my bare hands/saving puppies."

Like, I think it's okay if you briefly mention becoming more efficient or disciplined or whatever so they don't think your initial bad grades were a case of "going to weekday keggers the entire freshman year". But you have limited characters to highlight your strengths, so balance it with that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads