How should I approach a retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morejedi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN Community,

I recently voided an MCAT score and was wondering if anyone had tips about how to handle the next month before my retake.

Long story short here's how test day went:

C/P - My physics is definitely stronger than my chem so I'll without question be reviewing my general chem - but I practically ran out of time and couldn't complete two passages in this section (FWIW others have said this section was a monstrosity as well)

CARS - Usually one of my better sections (in the sense that I average a 127/128 on most practice tests) - however on this recent exam I found myself unable to focus and get the grasp of the passages. I think I just completely guessed on two of them.

B/B - I'm not to worried about this section. My Bio and Biochem (also notable for C/P) are strong - the only thing that needs work is my transcription and translation which I'm going to re-learn. Also I'm decent with mapping out experiments so passages similar to that in the SB aren't too hellish for me, they just take me time (which was a huge problem for me on C/P apparently)

P/S - On this most recent exam it was difficult as ****, so much analysis, I just have to re-read the entire TPR book and maybe some of the massive Khan Academy transcript because the amount of sociology threw me off guard. Normally scoring 127/128 on this section in practice tests.

My plan coming up is:

2-3 Cars Passages a day - either from the Q bank from AAMC, Princeton Review's cars book, or online passages from TPR's website.

Re-learn the topics in biology that I'm weak on, as with chemistry (g-chem & o-chem) via khan academy videos.

One practice test a week for the next 2 weeks, then move over to AAMC material testing - maybe do a few section bank passages daily and save my AAMC FL #2 for the last one I take.

Besides my plan above - is there any other advice anyone here can present me with? Any/all help is immensely appreciated.

Thanks SDN community <3 :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am doing my re-take in May this time, but I am literally doing a lot of questions from the AAMC and whatever I do not understand I write down and research. There is the Qpacks and the Sections banks on the AAMC which are really good.

I am doing my re-take in May this time, but I am literally doing a lot of questions from the AAMC and whatever I do not understand I write down and research. There is the Qpacks and the Sections banks on the AAMC which are really good.

I suppose I should have stated that I've already completed the Bio, Physics, Chem, and Cars Q-Pack #1.

I still have untouched Bio Q-Bank #2, Cars Q-Bank #2, S/B, and AAMC FL #2

I suppose I should have stated that I've already completed the Bio, Physics, Chem, and Cars Q-Pack #1.

I still have untouched Bio Q-Bank #2, Cars Q-Bank #2, S/B, and AAMC FL #2

I would say do all of it. The Section Banks are hard but they are really good for your critical thinking and make sure to time yourself. I try to do about max 10 min per passage, which includes reading and answering questions.The more practice you have, the better you'll be especially for the Chem/Phys section. Also, you can also find a tutor if you want to. Sorry if I am being really general about this advice.