How Should I Begin Gathering Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyched*Out

Reaction score
I am an incoming freshman this fall, but during my senior year of high school I was able to get an EMT and RMA certification. Out of these, I intend to use my RMA certification because clinics are generally offering more flexible hours in my area. Now, my issue is that frankly, I'm struggling to find the confidence to apply to one of these jobs because I'm afraid. I'm afraid to start a job and get into a real clinical setting and potentially mess up. I feel like my training was inadequate and that I'm not ready to be a real medical assistant.

I'm posting this to not only get my feelings off my chest, but also to look for advice on how I should go about this situation. On one hand, I'm considering beginning a volunteering gig so I'm at least gathering some hours during this period while potentially observing a medical assistant at work, but perhaps the real solution is to simply throw myself into the paid clinical experience. What would you guys recommend I do in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who essentially sashayed into a volunteer MA position with little to no training, you'll figure it out. In any given office an MA will do about 3-5 clinical things very very often and you'll get good at those quickly because they're usually fairly easy things to do. You took a certificate course and will have people responsible for you and double checking your work for many years to come.

Reactions: 1 user