How/Should I cancel an already accepted rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohmanwaddup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was worried this would happen

So my DO school does not give us a core site for 4th year so I have to set up all my rotations on my own. I sent out a ton of applications and got some replies, and had to accept them because, at the end of the day, I need to have a 4th year schedule planned out in order to graduate.

Today I got an offer for a sub-I/audition rotation at my top program choice in the specialty I want to do. The issue is that I've already accepted a regular elective in a specialty I am not applying to for the same date, about 6 months from now at a different hospital.

How bad is it to decline an already accepted elective, especially if you plan on applying to that hospital for residency?

EDIT: I should probably add, the goal of the SUb-I would be to match at this program, but the rotation would take place after applications and interview season, but before final rank lists were submitted. Would it still be worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
6 months out shouldn’t be a problem. I’d be more worried if you cancelled the month before. Just email them and let them know your specialty plans changed and you have an opportunity to rotate in your new specialty of choice. Something like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Should not be a problem, especially if it's in another specialty. Also, just for your information, a lot of coordinators that schedule sub-I's are separate from those involved in residency interviews. i.e the med student coordinator and program coordinator are different people who likely don't talk too much to each other. I canceled a confirmed Sub-I and still got an interview at that program later on, and no one knew or asked about it.

For your second point, having a sub-I after interview season is risky because you can't guarantee you'll get an interview in the first place. What will you do then? My SO had a sub-i in february and never got an interview from that program in the months prior. Luckily the sub-i was more just an excuse for us to explore a fun new city and we didn't really care.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Cancelling a rotation with six months notice is more than enough time and I highly doubt that PDs and APDs have the time or resources to cross-check which students cancelled rotations within their hospital system and automatically deny those students interview invites. On a personal note, I cancelled 3 auditions within my specialty last year (due to COVID) and those programs still invited me to interview.

As to whether it is worth it, I would say yes. Programs want to match people that they know, and if you vibe well with them during the audition month then it is surely to bring you up the rank list. The only awkward situation that could arise from this is if the program chooses not to interview you. That would lead to an awkward month for you and the program and kind of a waste of time for both. If you see this might happen, then I would reach out to them with an LOI explaining that you are rotating with them and asking for an interview prior to the end of interview season. Usually if a program wants you to rotate it is a good sign that they want to interview you as well, however, this is not always the case.

Should not be a problem, especially if it's in another specialty. Also, just for your information, a lot of coordinators that schedule sub-I's are separate from those involved in residency interviews. i.e the med student coordinator and program coordinator are different people who likely don't talk too much to each other. I canceled a confirmed Sub-I and still got an interview at that program later on, and no one knew or asked about it.

For your second point, having a sub-I after interview season is risky because you can't guarantee you'll get an interview in the first place. What will you do then? My SO had a sub-i in february and never got an interview from that program in the months prior. Luckily the sub-i was more just an excuse for us to explore a fun new city and we didn't really care.
I was thinking about this, and honestly it would be pretty damn brutal. But my school requires 3 sub-Is to graduate and this would nail down my third. Plus I suppose I could always ask a doc to call a program on my behalf/send an email/letter If I develop a good relationship. might move me a few spaces up on a rank list.

Cancelling a rotation with six months notice is more than enough time and I highly doubt that PDs and APDs have the time or resources to cross-check which students cancelled rotations within their hospital system and automatically deny those students interview invites. On a personal note, I cancelled 3 auditions within my specialty last year (due to COVID) and those programs still invited me to interview.

As to whether it is worth it, I would say yes. Programs want to match people that they know, and if you vibe well with them during the audition month then it is surely to bring you up the rank list. The only awkward situation that could arise from this is if the program chooses not to interview you. That would lead to an awkward month for you and the program and kind of a waste of time for both. If you see this might happen, then I would reach out to them with an LOI explaining that you are rotating with them and asking for an interview prior to the end of interview season. Usually if a program wants you to rotate it is a good sign that they want to interview you as well, however, this is not always the case.
LOI is a great idea. Thanks!