Medical How should I handle letter of intent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have originally written a letter of intent to X school which I was waitlisted at, which was confirmed and added to my file. Soon after checking, an update on the applicant portal stated that the school does not accept update letters, letters of intent, etc, in big bold red letters which was not there when I originally sent it. I guess too many people were sending letters, it's an awesome school.

Here's my dilemma. I since interviewed, got waitlisted at Y school and during my interview, I was so impressed and found that their mission was more closely related to my goals as a physician. It felt like a completely better fit for me and I was considering sending them a letter of intent. I want to make it completely clear that If X school never posted that update, I would NEVER consider sending another LOI. I just don't want the one letter I sent to that school to be a waste.
There is very little chance of your LOI making any difference in the decisions of the medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, all LOIs are a waste. They are sent because we all want to have some illusion that there is something "more" that can be done to help our application, when in reality that is almost certainly not the case.

Bottom line, send another LOI if it will make you feel better. Or don't if it won't. But the fact that you sent an LOI previously shouldn't have any bearing on the decision.

Thanks everyone. The entire application cycle has been very stressful. Like you said, it's just me trying to do what I can to increase my chances. Guess i'll hold off.

Hypothetical follow up: If past cycles showed that school Y is receptive to applicants who show strong/continued interest, i.e. sending update letters, letters of intent, etc., would it be worth sending if that is the case?
Well yeah, but I don’t think that data exists and there has been questionnaire asking PD if it matters with an overwhelming majority saying no.

Status
Not open for further replies.