How should I improve me resume?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About to enter my junior year, trying to apply without the gap year. My GPA is solid and I am currently studying for the MCAT

Here are the activities that I would have by the time I apply:

1.5 years of research (unlikely publication)
1 semester in a formal shadowing program
1 year of hospital volunteering
1 semester of teaching a student run class on healthcare policy
2 years of club sport
Various clubs such as Red Cross and volunteering activities through a church
Planning some sort of medical mission trip the summer after Junior year, (possible? even though I would need to start applying by then?)

Any suggestions as to what else I should work on?

Members don't see this ad.

As many others, I am also in a similar position to you. From what I've read time and time again, these medical missions are not what they used to be. 1-2 weeks in Africa handing out hugs and kisses don't do much for building character and the adcoms know it. I would rather see someone in a NSF program (SURF, BRAIN, etc.), spending time in inner city programs, and I think more importantly actually having a job. Having a job is huge, not to mention you're about to spend 250k for school, might want a few extra bucks laying around.

If I saw a student who worked 20-30 hours a week saving every cent to their names in order to support their education vs. someone throwing away money on unnecessary resume padding, it would be an easy choice, I'm sorry but I've got a sore spot for the working student.

By job do you mean getting a summer internship of some sort with a Biotech company maybe?

I feel like I need more clinical experience. But paid positions seem pretty rare in these settings other than EMT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe being a medical scribe. Or a medical translator (if you speak a foreign language).

Also agree with the other poster's view on international service. Put that $2000 to use somewhere else.

Maybe you should find a doctor to shadow? You could always keep volunteering at that hospital; that would show some commitment.

Get some leadership in. Also, make sure it's something you like doing.
Also I wonder if Mentoring counts a leadership as I recently came across a program that allows me to Mentor Children of Inmates, and it seems really appealing to me, I've worked with troubled youths before, but that was in high school with elementary school kids.

Get some leadership in. Also, make sure it's something you like doing.
Also I wonder if Mentoring counts a leadership as I recently came across a program that allows me to Mentor Children of Inmates, and it seems really appealing to me, I've worked with troubled youths before, but that was in high school with elementary school kids.
Leadership usually implies leading one's peers.

Ok I guess foreign trips may not be the best option. So does anyone have suggestions for paid positions other than medical scribe? I don't really care about the pay but being a scribe just doesn't appeal to me that much. I mean I might go for it if nothing else sticks out...

You can try to stop being a pirate. Adcoms hate pirates.

That sucks, they must hate you then.

That sucks, they must hate you then.

When I said job I didn't necessarily even mean medically related. If you can find one, then great, way to go. But realistically they are hard to come by especially with little qualifications and minimal job openings these days. Adcoms appreciate time management and requiring a job because mommy and daddy didn't pay for every dollar ever spent during your undergrad is a good way to show them you've got what it takes. A "well rounded" student is ideal for medical schools these days. Knowing what its like to serve fast food and clean up garbage is a good way to show and write about exactly why you want to be a doctor; helping the people you came in contact with, rising above a financial burden, etc etc.

Job + shadowing + volunteering is a good way to spend your summer, not to mention it should be pretty cake in comparison to some alternatives.

Agreed with above. You have plenty of clinical experience for a pre-med student with shadowing and volunteering. A job is something you are missing - doesn't matter what it is. If you receive work study money (which you should be... unless your family is making over 200k), than use that to get an on campus job. Over the summer, just work at a retail company or something you enjoy.

If you can get a job with a lab tech company, go for it. Though that is tough. Undergrad summer research projects are also funded - so would be considered paid-employment. Try out for that next summer instead of going abroad.

Juicec - I also have a sore spot for students that work during college. I'm hoping to be involved with the med school admissions project one day and would rather see that than any other EC on an application... but that's just my opinion...

Yes, working has a benefit of giving you money as well

Well technically the lab position I volunteer at currently pays students with work-study but I do not qualify for that. (Even though my family makes <200K)

As far as BioTechs go, I would be interested in working there. But wouldn't it be kinda awkward if they know I'm premed since in that case I'm just gonna be interning for the summer have no possibility of continuing full-time after graduation? Would that hurt my chances of getting the position? Also would a paid internship even count as work?

Juicec - I also have a sore spot for students that work during college. I'm hoping to be involved with the med school admissions project one day and would rather see that than any other EC on an application... but that's just my opinion...
:thumbup:

And Acal I'm not sure you are getting the point. If you can land a biotech job awesome, if not, adcoms want to see you doing something in the summer not just waiting for SDN to give you all the answers. Go apply to toco bell and feel the pain that is associated with working in that hell hole. Go work construction in the blistering heat. Go work at a summer camp teaching white water rafting. Do something that is not typical of every single "premed" student in the entire world. If I was to see that you worked at a biotech company I would look at it and toss that portion of the application aside; boring. If I saw you took interest in a handicapped summer camp teaching water safety, rafting, etc etc, I would be so interested I'd feel almost required to invite you for an interview to talk about it.

Your application if what you've written above is accurate, you seem to be going in the right direction. Unfortunately so is everyone else in the world, do something a little different. Get a job. Wish more people understood the importance of it and quit taking advantage of loans, mommy/daddy and just plain poor financial decisions in general. After working 50 hours a week for 3 years you better believe I understand the value of a dollar.