how should I improve my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentAK907

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this point I am about 5 months out from applying to dental school. I'm trying to figure out the most effective way I could improve my application with the limited time I have left.

Overall GPA: 3.89
Science GPA: 3.96
DAT: to be taken in May
Shadowing: 66 hours
Community Service: 63 hours (I know it's my weak point)
1 semester of research

Right now my plan is to get my service up to around 100 hours by the end of the semester. I will probably be getting 10-20 more hours of shadowing as well.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how I could strengthen my application.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't need to strengthen your application. It's already strong enough, and you're just going to stress yourself out more by thinking that you need to do more and more. Just focus on your DAT and you should be fine! Good luck.

Amp up those shadowing and volunteer hours. Ace the DAT and you should have nothing to worry about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is awesome. Personally, I would really work on increasing your community service and shadowing hours. I'm assuming you are at least junior if you are applying in 4 months and having only done 60ish volunteer hours over 3+ years isn't so hot (unless you have significant work experience). Of course, also do well on the DAT (20+) and you should be good to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Your community service is good. Just get shadowing to 100+ and then you're great.

just do 4 hours a week of shadowing if you can or do a lot during spring break to get to that 100 hour mark...solid all around app you already have

All I would do is to add a few more shadowing hours since you still have time, and then just focus on getting a solid DAT score (20+). Once you do that, you'll be golden.