How should I rank these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otherstuff12321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just hoping for some more insight into these programs and how to best rank them. I'm looking for programs which offer good training, prestige, good climate, and the best work-life balance to allow for family pursuits. So far, I've ranked them as follows:

UAB > Cleveland Clinic Florida > Iowa > UChicago > Nebraska > Henry Ford > Loma Linda > Montefiore > St. Joseph University

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You’re probably in the best position to compare the programs having interviewed at them personally, especially when it comes to aspects such as work-life balance.

I can only advise you to pick a program in a geographic location where you would like to practice in the future. If you’re not sure of where that is just yet, then go with the biggest name and best alumni network.

Reactions: 2 users
You’re probably in the best position to compare the programs having interviewed at them personally, especially when it comes to aspects such as work-life balance.

I can only advise you to pick a program in a geographic location where you would like to practice in the future. If you’re not sure of where that is just yet, then go with the biggest name and best alumni network.
This is the most important. Training is probably quite similar in most programs if similar caliber.

Either pick a program closest to your settling down destination, makes interviewing, job searching, and networking easier. Or pick the location with a good name but lowest cost of living and lead a better life for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
You want big city but residents that look not overworked. UAB I think is strong and busy, but I think they moonlight a lot to make extra. Not sure how mandatory it is and this was awhile back.

Reactions: 1 user
You want big city but residents that look not overworked. UAB I think is strong and busy, but I think they moonlight a lot to make extra. Not sure how mandatory it is and this was awhile back.
Why would you need to moonlight with cost of living there?

Why would you need to moonlight with cost of living there?

Single people and dinks don’t need to moonlight even in big expensive cities. But “family friendly” residencies tend attract a lot of families. Even in LCOL areas, families are expensive.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all,

I was just hoping for some more insight into these programs and how to best rank them. I'm looking for programs which offer good training, prestige, good climate, and the best work-life balance to allow for family pursuits. So far, I've ranked them as follows:

UAB > Cleveland Clinic Florida > Iowa > UChicago > Nebraska > Henry Ford > Loma Linda > Montefiore > St. Joseph University

Thank you!

Geographically, this list is all over the place. Where do you want to live?

That should play into the equation for ranking. Especially if you have an SO.

Reactions: 2 users
These are all probably decent programs. The only one I'm familiar with is cleveland clinic, their hearts are just an assembly line. They make it look easy. I'd like to add that I would consider the numbe of cases residents do and subspecialty case loads. Face it. You are learning on someone else's malpractice, so do as many cases as you can. Best to learn on someone else's policy. As far as work life balance, I considered that a factor after passing boards. It's only a few years.
Secondly, are all the subspecialties represented at the mother ship? Being sent to St Elsewhere for hearts, transplants, peds, neuro, etc., limits your autonomy until you prove to everyone there you are not a Ninja. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
These are all probably decent programs. The only one I'm familiar with is cleveland clinic, their hearts are just an assembly line. They make it look easy. I'd like to add that I would consider the numbe of cases residents do and subspecialty case loads. Face it. You are learning on someone else's malpractice, so do as many cases as you can. Best to learn on someone else's policy. As far as work life balance, I considered that a factor after passing boards. It's only a few years.
Secondly, are all the subspecialties represented at the mother ship? Being sent to St Elsewhere for hearts, transplants, peds, neuro, etc., limits your autonomy until you prove to everyone there you are not a Ninja. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
That is a great point. It happens at the very large programs where you rarely work with the same attending more than every few months. Tough to assess how much rope to give a resident that you don't know very well. Mid size and small programs generally know you well and they share information about each resident. So, if one attending says you are good, others will here that and place more trust and give more autonomy. I believe this to be true in most instances and have heard of this phenomenon from others at large programs where a resident can get lost in the crowd. Occasionally, however, getting lost in the crowd works to the resident's advantage and allows them to progress when closer attention would have revealed that they probably should not have. I say "to their advantage" but it could be that closer attention could have remediated the faults and deficiencies and corrected them. In that case, I guess it would be to the resident's detriment.

Reactions: 1 user