MD How significant are abstracts at conferences for residency applications?

Started by RhinB
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RhinB

PGY3
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For example, I got into medicine conference in the clinical vignette category. I'm a finalist right now but if I "win" the category, how impressive is that? Worse than a 1st author paper I suppose but better than 3rd author paper?
 
For example, I got into medicine conference in the clinical vignette category. I'm a finalist right now but if I "win" the category, how impressive is that? Worse than a 1st author paper I suppose but better than 3rd author paper?
Really it's not a big deal. The best perspective is probably that it puts you in the "has research pile" versus all the people with none. Of course this all depends on the field of interest etc
 
Really it's not a big deal. The best perspective is probably that it puts you in the "has research pile" versus all the people with none. Of course this all depends on the field of interest etc

Yeah that's fair, just wanted to read a confirmation of my thoughts. Thanks.
 
For example, I got into medicine conference in the clinical vignette category. I'm a finalist right now but if I "win" the category, how impressive is that? Worse than a 1st author paper I suppose but better than 3rd author paper?
If you’re applying IM, And the conference you got into is a national conference, it will stand out.