How specific can I be when talking about research in my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitesandstars94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm currently writing my work and activities section, and I need some advice. One of my activities is my research, which I've been doing for about 1 year in the pharmacy department at my school. The research is unique, and I'm hoping to get a paper out of it eventually. It's unlikely, but if this project turns out to be successful the implications could possibly be the creation of a drug for a certain disease. When I'm writing about it in the work and activities section, can I be specific about the work I'm performing? If I say that natural compound X has been observed to have biological activity with disease Y, does that potentially endanger the privacy of the work by writing about? Basically is it appropriate to write about research specifics on the application, and if I write about it, is there any danger that someone who reads it could try to pick up the project for themselves?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you need to be super specific - what does that really add to your app? I would just give the general research question being addressed and then focus on your role in it / what you're getting out of this experience that contributes to your desire to go into medicine. I also don't think you have to worry about someone stealing your project lol.