How strict is the 2 week rule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBossDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

The 2-week rule for the majority of my secondaries is coming up on Tuesday, but I still have 10ish secondaries to complete by then (which is almost impossible to do without sacrificing quality).

So basically, my question is, how strict is the 2 week rule? I know some schools explicitly state that they prefer apps to be returned within 2 weeks, so I will definitely have those done by Tuesday. But what about other schools that don't specifically state that? Would it be OK if the turnaround time is like 2 weeks and 4 days? Or would I be better off turning in mediocre quality secondary essays?

Members don't see this ad.

The difference between 14 days and 18 days is minimal. Don't turn in mediocre essays.

It baffles me that people take 2+ weeks to complete secondaries. In any case, schools that explicitly state a time for turnaround are a no-brainer; turn those in first. The rest should be done ASAP. Eighteen days versus fourteen days won't kill you, but obviously the sooner the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
It baffles me that people take 2+ weeks to complete secondaries. In any case, schools that explicitly state a time for turnaround are a no-brainer; turn those in first. The rest should be done ASAP. Eighteen days versus fourteen days won't kill you, but obviously the sooner the better.

I get that it can take 2+ weeks to complete. If you're working full-time and have multiple volunteer responsibilities, it can easily take a while to finish all the secondaries you have.

Also, I agree with "the sooner the better."

When you apply to 40 schools, its hard to write all your secondaries within 2 weeks. I've been busy with work and research earlier this summer (especially since we had a bunch of deadlines in July and August), so I never got the chance to pre-write. Things have eased up a bit so I have a bit of time now, but 35 secondaries in 2 weeks is really hard to do without seriously sacrificing quality.

But I guess my plan will be to at least get the required ones done by Tuesday plus 1-2 schools which I really want to go to. And then do the rest of them this week, meaning that several secondaries will be submitted 15-18 days after being received. Hopefully that won't hurt me because I know that all schools sort of have an "implied" 2 week rule.

looks like someone hasn't applied to duke