How to address MD and MPH programs in my LOR's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuminatorMan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I will be applying to both MD and MPH programs separately. That said, how should the people writing my LORs address both types of programs? Would it look bad if a medical school saw "MPH" mentioned in my LOR? Would it look bad if the letter is too broad (i.e. "I recommend this student to all graduate programs")? How should I go about this? What is the technique here?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You should ask them to write separate letters for each program. They might be substantially the same but you want them to address the specific program you’re applying for, not just your general existence

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely, or ask different people for the letters. SOPHAS, the AMCAS equivalent, asks for a likert scale assessment of some skills and attributes as well as the letter so they should want to write two separate letters if they want to give you any kind of support.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely, or ask different people for the letters. SOPHAS, the AMCAS equivalent, asks for a likert scale assessment of some skills and attributes as well as the letter so they should want to write two separate letters if they want to give you any kind of support.
And do you recommend that they tweak the letter a bit to reflect my attributes that align with the type of program? Most of these professors are lazy so if they need to adjust the letter substantially, they'd probably get lazy.

Most of the letter is not going to be much different:

I'm please to recommend LuminatorMan for admission to the ___ program at your school. (or they can go generic and say "advanced study") I have known Luminatorman for x months/years having first met him in my class, BIO 222 Molecular and Cellular Lifeforces.
Then the writer goes on to describe other ways that you worked together (teaching assistant, in his lab, during office hours, stopping by to say hi now that you're back on campus, etc).
Then the writer should describe your positive attributes.
Some writers might add a small negative that you have been working on or have improved but most American writers won't do this.
Then the summation will either say that you will be an asset to whatever medical or graduate program you choose or can go in one direction or another. It is always best to be more specific but you can't dictate these letters (unless the writer gives you that gift of drafting the letter yourself).

I had this problem too. Didn’t think I would get any med school interviews so I was going to apply to PhD or JD programs too. I just had different professors write them. Felt easier than getting my original recommendation writers to do two.