How to address significant drop in GPA without sounding whiny

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby dooby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a nontrad who has a pretty good grad GPA.

However, my undergrad career was less stellar:

Freshman year: 3.4, 3.9
Sophomore year: 3.6, 3.4
Junior year: 2.6, 3.1

How would I address the drop in GPA during my junior year without sounding like I am complaining? I know it is my fault that I was in that position in the first place, and as a result I don't feel like bringing it up in my PS.

Just to give you some background, during that time I was taking the max # of credits allowed by my school (21), applying for jobs (1st semester) and interviewing (2nd semester), working part-time, and trying to help my mom deal with unexplained illnesses.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to handle it is to ask your academic adviser to address it in your LOR. Your reasons for it will seem more credible if it comes from a prof, and it will free you to keep your PS and interviews positive.

Just to give you some background, during that time I was taking the max # of credits allowed by my school (21), applying for jobs (1st semester) and interviewing (2nd semester), working part-time, and trying to help my mom deal with unexplained illnesses.

Thanks for your help!

IMHO, caring for ill parents + working while in school seems like enough to explain it quickly and easily (to anyone who brings up your GPA at an interview) without sounding whiny at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since it's a family issue then schools might take that into consideration. Also, I agree with mastermix, definitely have your advisors or LOR people address it so med schools know it is legitimate.

Thanks for the help you guys.

Sorry if my explanation wasn't too clear, and may have been misinterpreted.

I wasn't "taking" care of my mom, per say, as I was a few hundred miles away from home - it was more figuring out which doctors to see, helping her understand what they were telling her, etc. (which, in my book, isn't the same as physically taking care of an ill parent and I'm not sure if I should bring it up). However, it was what motivated me to go job hunting and graduate college a year early so that I could get a job and help pay for bills if need be - hence the taking max number of credits.

And the "working part-time" wasn't a real job - more like night-time gigs with a band that brought in ~200/wk.

Should I still explain this to an advisor? I just feel as if my reasons sound like a bunch of excuses.

Thanks again for the help.