How bad does look to have a sudden drop in sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1158685

Asking for a friend here, her sGPA trend from Freshmen to Senior year is:

3.9 -> 3.39 -> 3.62 -> 4.0, overall sGPA 3.75 and overall cGPA 3.85

She was a Cornell undergrad and was really hoping to aim for Weill Cornell, Duke, Columbia, Sinai, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, NYU LISM and Stanford, but feels that those schools are unrealistic with her GPA.

I personally think she's being a bit neurotic, but I only know as much as her when it comes to medical school (which is nothing).

How much does that drop it GPA actually hurt her chances at those schools? I heard that Cornell is a grade deflater school, does that get taken into account?

Her MCAT was 130/128/130/130 (518) if that helps answer this at all. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

She is being neurotic. This is the point of an upward trend.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty typical trend line and a MCAT that is in the ball park for all the schools you've listed. In addition to those 9, have her select 9 lower ranked schools (there are very few higher ranked, lol). If all the usual boxes are checked, I'd expect 3 interviews and one offer by February of next year.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with LizzyM and Goro.

Have her apply to the following additional schools if she wasn’t planning on it already:

Hofstra
Rochester
Einstein
UVA
Emory
Jefferson
Iowa
Saint Louis
Dartmouth
Miami
USF
Case

@chilly_md Thank you for this! She said she will definitely add them to balance out her list.

@LizzyM @Goro She was also wondering if it was "realistic" for her to get into any of those top 9 schools from a stats perspective, expressing concern over how her sGPA was around 10th-25th percentile at most of these schools.

She is a little tight on money, so if you all think it is unrealistic that she would get in, then I will her let her know, or have her just create an account and post a WAMC.

@chilly_md Thank you for this! She said she will definitely add them to balance out her list.

@LizzyM @Goro She was also wondering if it was "realistic" for her to get into any of those top 9 schools from a stats perspective, expressing concern over how her sGPA was around 10th-25th percentile at most of these schools.

She is a little tight on money, so if you all think it is unrealistic that she would get in, then I will her let her know, or have her just create an account and post a WAMC.
Let her post a WAMC, please

Reactions: 3 users