How to address the assistant dean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KCT15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question...

I am writing a letter to the assistant dean of admissions and was wondering how I should address the letter...

1) Dear Linda XXX
2) Dear Dean XXX
3) Dear Assistant Dean XXX

Please help me out if you know

Members don't see this ad.

Why not just Dear Dr. XXX? If you wanted you could address their position in the letter itself i.e. In your position as Assistant Dean I was hoping you could rubber stamp my admission or whatever.
Are most Deans more receptive to Dean then Dr.?

If she's not a "Dr." and you're looking for a non-descript salutation, then "Ms." works. It's the female equivalent of "Mr." since it's not "Miss" or "Mrs." and doesn't designate marriage status.

Members don't see this ad :)
you could say dear, but you could also say "hi dr. XXX"..for some reason i cant get myself to address someone as "dear" when i write letters..i feel its a little overused and meaningless! ..either way you word it, you should be fine..the person reading it probably wont even notice

I'd just begin the letter with "Dean Last Name:" and drop the dear.

Why not just Dear Dr. XXX?

I agree with this. In my only email to the Associate Dean of Admissions at RWJMS, that is what I said, Dear Dr. XXX.

The question I would have is, how would you address the entire Admissions Committee? Could it be "Dear Admissions Committee?", "To the Admissions Committee?", or the more generic, "To Whom It May Concern?"?

I agree.

Dean X: or Ms. X:

Agreed on both counts. All other options or suggestions are too personal. By no means should you address the person by their first name unless/until they tell you to.