How to address the interview coordinator in email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axeon123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When sending an email to reply to interview invites, how do you address the coordinator? They only give the full first/last name of the person. First name, Mr. or Ms.? Just curious. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

if the name sounds obviously male (i.e. John, Robert, Samuel) then use Mr.
if the names sounds obviously female (i.e. Mary, Elizabeth, Sandra) then use Ms. (Miss implies unmarried woman, Mrs. implies married woman, Ms. is universal)
if the name is ambiguous (i.e. Angel, Jessie, Ryan) use "program coordinator" or the ever popular "to whom it may concern"

I usually just write "Hi", or omit the initial salutation completely. Wonder if the coordinator gods are gonna smite me for this? I'll be sure to come back and post on my experiences after the fact.

I just use their first name. Don't over think things people.

I used "Hi Mr/Ms First Last,"

lol. now i have to say that in every email i send to this school's program.

don't overthink this this stuff. Mr. or Ms. is appropriate, unless they've told you to address them by their first name.

A PD at a top 2 medicine program told me that assigning a pronoun based on a coordinator's name when the coordinator did not provide it represents an underlying narrow-mindedness about gender on the part of the applicant. Straight ticket to the bottom of the rank list!

;) It's amazing how crazy this process makes us

A PD at a top 2 medicine program told me that assigning a pronoun based on a coordinator's name when the coordinator did not provide it represents an underlying narrow-mindedness about gender on the part of the applicant. Straight ticket to the bottom of the rank list!

Would that coordinators had that much influence!!! Honestly, we're pretty nice overall and understand that applicants aren't psychic. If you want to do some detective work before you respond to the interview invitation, check the program's web site to see if there's a photo of the coordinator. Otherwise, skip the salutation entirely and just graciously accept the invitation and request your preferred date.

I did everything from first name to only first and last without a gender specifier. Didn't change a thing in the end.

I usually just wrote it exactly as they signed the initial invite.

Eg. Mary M. Smith, Program Coordinator.
My response would be "Dear Mary Smith,"

If in the initial invite or subsequent invites they signed just with their first name then I would address them with just their first name. Eg. "Dear Mary."

Pretty hard to go wrong that way.

Sounds like a place I wouldn't want to go...:(

When I email them for the first time I will use Ms or Mr. First Last....when they email me back, they usually just use their first name. After the initial e-mail - just use their first name.

i usually leave out the name of the coordinator, and write "Hi - I'd like to interview on these dates if possible: " and then list em and say "please let me know if they're taken or if anything else is needed. Thanks for the invitation!".

Honestly, didn't think this question should get this many replies.

sorry, post at the wrong place

Last edited:

That PD needs to get over himself (or herself!). What the heck is narrow-minded about assuming that an Elizabeth is female (haven't run into or heard of any male ones yet!) or a Joshua is male? I understand if the name is unisex or gender-neutral.

So, will this same PD tell me s/he has never addressed/assumed someone on the other end of the phone as male or female based on the sound of their voice? Yeah, hypocrite!

That PD needs to get over himself (or herself!). What the heck is narrow-minded about assuming that an Elizabeth is female (haven't run into or heard of any male ones yet!) or a Joshua is male? I understand if the name is unisex or gender-neutral.

So, will this same PD tell me s/he has never addressed/assumed someone on the other end of the phone as male or female based on the sound of their voice? Yeah, hypocrite!

Wow despite the wink people still not catching sarcasm....