How to afford to live during med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_otto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. I will not be receiving any help from my family during vollege, yet alone medical school. So on a realistic level how do people, in situations like mine, afford to live during med school? I have read it's unadvisable to work a regular part time job during med school, so how do people survive?? Can someone please help??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You hit up Uncle Sam for a few bucks along the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious. I will not be receiving any help from my family during vollege, yet alone medical school. So on a realistic level how do people, in situations like mine, afford to live during med school? I have read it's unadvisable to work a regular part time job during med school, so how do people survive?? Can someone please help??
OP I think you'll have to have some sort of loans taken out.

Or convince your parents to help you with living expenditures

Or I've heard of med students tutoring kids in MCAT. That may help on the side?

OP I think you'll have to have some sort of loans taken out.

Or convince your parents to help you with living expenditures

Or I've heard of med students tutoring kids in MCAT. That may help on the side?

Quite honestly my family is very very low middle class, and honestly couldn't afford it. But i appreciate all the advice as far as tutoring.

What kind of things do people do during med school to make money, outside of tutoring???

What kind of things do people do during med school to make money, outside of tutoring???

We take out loans.

Very few people work during med school, I only know of one person in my class and one person in the class below me who worked during pre-clinical. It's pretty much impossible during 3rd year and half of 4th year because school is literally your full time and overtime job.

Reactions: 3 users
Quite honestly my family is very very low middle class, and honestly couldn't afford it. But i appreciate all the advice as far as tutoring.
Hey maybe you could find a research lab in your med school to work in and maybe they'll give you a stipend?

Hey maybe you could find a research lab in your med school to work in and maybe they'll give you a stipend?
I read that there is a grant available, for people who are going to med school, that if you plan on doing research as a career they will actually pay for your college and give you a stipend. Do you know if there is any truth to this? And when you say a reseaech lab, are you working there in your free time, or are you commiting to that as a career??

I read that there is a grant available, for people who are going to med school, that if you plan on doing research as a career they will actually pay for your college and give you a stipend. Do you know if there is any truth to this? And when you say a reseaech lab, are you working there in your free time, or are you commiting to that as a career??
Are you talking about MSTP programs?

During some tours, a med student said that some people did work-study, TAed in the undergrad college that the med school was at, or did some paid research, but you can always take out loans as the cost of attendance is higher than what it usually costs to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, thats what I was reading. I seen it in an article I was reading about med school.
So those do generally provide funding and a stipend. However, there are a few caveats:
1. They are far more competitive and require significant amounts of research to be competitive.
2. They take more time.
3. They graduate physician-scientists. So there is a much smaller focus on clinical aspects and a far greater focus on research.
Essentially, I've been told that you should think very carefully about committing to such a program. For people that want to be a full fledged clinician, it may not be worth it. Consider the fact that although you have your schooling paid for you also lose 3-5 years of your salary. So my point is that it isn't a decision to be made simply because you want free med school. It is a serious investment that should only be made if it meets your specific career objectives.

So those do generally provide funding and a stipend. However, there are a few caveats:
1. They are far more competitive and require significant amounts of research to be competitive.
2. They take more time.
3. They graduate physician-scientists. So there is a much smaller focus on clinical aspects and a far greater focus on research.
Essentially, I've been told that you should think very carefully about committing to such a program. For people that want to be a full fledged clinician, it may not be worth it. Consider the fact that although you have your schooling paid for you also lose 3-5 years of your salary. So my point is that it isn't a decision to be made simply because you want free med school. It is a serious investment that should only be made if it meets your specific career objectives.

That was going to be my next question. I think that's great and all, but my idea is to be on the front line, interacting with patients. So I appreciate the info, but I do not think that is the path I want to take.

So if I were to use loans as I go through med school, wheere should l get my loans from? the school I want to attend has the whole cost of a semester listed at 46k, can I borrow that amount through federal student loans? Or will I have to find some private lenders for that amount?

So if I were to use loans as I go through med school, wheere should l get my loans from? the school I want to attend has the whole cost of a semester listed at 46k, can I borrow that amount through federal student loans? Or will I have to find some private lenders for that amount?
The federal government will cover loans up to the total cost of attendance of schools, which is usually around 70-80k a year.

At my school, the school budgets us up to $1700 for living expenses (x9 months) and just adds it to your loan package. Also, the financial aid office will let us borrow a bit more if you run into an unforeseen financial situation. A classmate had his laptop stolen, and he was able to get a little more money to cover the replacement cost.

I'm applying for an HPSP scholarship. I initially looked into it because I will be paying for medical school myself as well. It turns out I'm actually really interested in military medicine, so it ended up being a good match for me. I think the general consensus is that it is a good thing to research, but not to apply only for the money part- you need to be interested in military medicine as well

I kind of meant more as a research tech

But yes if you do a MD/PhD program, schools will cover all tuition for 8 years and provide you with a stipend

Loans. Or, I don't know, you could start some kind of online business that basically runs itself. Why not?

Google "Stafford Unsubsidized Loans" and "GradPlus Loans"

You can take out enough loans to cover your school's tuition AND estimated cost of living (rent, utilities, books, equipment, basically any living expenses during med school). My school's cost of attendance (COA = tuition + cost of living) is around 70k or so, so we can take out up to that much. Stafford only covers up to 42,000 or something, the rest is GradPlus, which has a higher interest rate.

Bottom line: plenty of people pay for medical school without help from family or somebody outside of school. The schools have plenty of experience doing this, and more likely than not you will be taking out loans that the school will help you figure out.

Focus on getting into medical school first, then worry about this.

That was going to be my next question. I think that's great and all, but my idea is to be on the front line, interacting with patients. So I appreciate the info, but I do not think that is the path I want to take.
I'm applying for an HPSP scholarship. I initially looked into it because I will be paying for medical school myself as well. It turns out I'm actually really interested in military medicine, so it ended up being a good match for me. I think the general consensus is that it is a good thing to research, but not to apply only for the money part- you need to be interested in military medicine as well
If you want some real front line care, they're sending physicians from some branches of the military straight to the front lines of battle nowadays :laugh: This is despite the fact that a physician can't do much more than a medic can in the field, but commanders figure it'll inspire the troops to have a physician tag along with them, so your ass is being put in danger just for the sake of a morale boost.

If you want some real front line care, they're sending physicians from some branches of the military straight to the front lines of battle nowadays :laugh: This is despite the fact that a physician can't do much more than a medic can in the field, but commanders figure it'll inspire the troops to have a physician tag along with them, so your ass is being put in danger just for the sake of a morale boost.

I don't particularly care to get into an internet squabble about the pros/cons of military medicine. I have found that it is the right fit for me, and that I'm incredibly excited about the opportunities. That being said, it absolutely isn't for everyone. I was merely suggesting that the OP investigate further to see if it might be something that they are interested in.

I don't particularly care to get into an internet squabble about the pros/cons of military medicine. I have found that it is the right fit for me, and that I'm incredibly excited about the opportunities. That being said, it absolutely isn't for everyone. I was merely suggesting that the OP investigate further to see if it might be something that they are interested in.
That wasn't the point of my post, I was making a joke in regard to the current state of military medicine. Back in the day, physicians were considered too important to place with operating ground troops, particularly when you consider that they aren't allowed to participate as a combatant in said operations. But nowadays one branch has become known for sending physicians into actual combat operations, where they essentially do little more than serve as targets that can't do a damn thing more than a skilled field medic.

That wasn't the point of my post, I was making a joke in regard to the current state of military medicine. Back in the day, physicians were considered too important to place with operating ground troops, particularly when you consider that they aren't allowed to participate as a combatant in said operations. But nowadays one branch has become known for sending physicians into actual combat operations, where they essentially do little more than serve as targets that can't do a damn thing more than a skilled field medic.
My bad! Just re-red the thread more carefully!

Absolutely OP should go investigate everything and go into any sort of long-term career commitment with eyes wide open!

Which branch is this?

2. They take more time.
To clarify for the OP, you still have the same clinical focus during med school, but take gap years to do research.
MDPHD grads go on to develop research programs, run labs, and be faculty at medical schools.
You can certainly still do clinical care, but it's often 20/80 clinical/research-admin-education.
Please don't consider it if you don't enjoy research - but your research could be public health/clinical/humanities as well as bench work.

Which branch is this?
Let me see if I can dig it up, it was a topic in the military med forums here a while back. I believe it was the Marines sending in GMO officers with troops to combat outposts in Afghanistan. Traditionally, physicians were kept at larger FOBs that were considered fairly safe and well supplied.

Since a large number of physicians joining the Navy end up being sent to the "green" side (Marines), it made the Navy sound too risky for my taste back when I was considering the HPSP.

When I was deployed, the brigade PA would do this, but pretty much by choice. He would head out on convoys and of course the battalion commander was very enthusiastic about it :rolleyes:. The reality was, all the other providers had to do extra work to cover for him because he was always out on missions instead of in the combat hospital where he belonged.

Tutoring is the best commitment:pay gig you can get. Set your own hours, set your own rate, advertise as a current med student and you'll likely get a bunch of people calling.

Other ideas:
1) TA if there is a nearby undergrad campus, preferably affiliated. Though most TAs will be grad students, you might be able to make a case for yourself and get a spot.

2) Web design/programming work if you know how to code. Easy money, low stress, low time commitment (usually).

3) Monitor tech at a hospital. I know one person who did it part-time all through undergrad, and first two years of med school. She took a late shift, but she could get some studying in the monitor room.

ofc, i have no idea how plausible these would be in your situation, but im sure there are a bunch of things you could find.

caution: no job is worth compromising grades in school, so prioritize that over all, and take loans if you must.

REALLY look into military medicine. People tend to think that you get paid an absurd amount of money to study and then travel the world while practicing medicine. In reality, you get put into a program and train for 1-2 years. Then, like 99% of your colleagues, you will be placed into a GMO for 1-2 years as part of your payback, based on the needs of the military. Fortunately, you CAN do a 4-year GMO stint and be done with your debt and transition in to a civilian residency. OR you can train through the military and stay in for the rest of your life, if you like it that much.

I took A & P 2 and an actual Doctor taught the course.
Maybe you can teach something at a community college. Don't know how he made it work but hey I guess it pays.

I only know of just one person in my personal class and something person the course listed below my family whom did wonders while in pre-clinical.
y44XzK
wut.

Apply for financial aid and pull out the exact amount for fees and tuition as well as living expenses. For you, you might might want to accept the entire financial aid award. Some people, such as myself, just accepted the tuition amount and paying out of pocket for living (fortunate enough to do so).

I worked as an tech in the anesthesia department alongside 3rd and 4th year med students who were being paid to do the same thing as me, plus other things obviously. It was called an externship and they had to apply for the job, plus it looks good if you're interested in that department.