How to answer interview q's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteopeddoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys plan on answering bizarre, personal questions, if given, in an interview. For example-whats the one thing you regret most and why? Has anyone gotten something like this, and whats your response? Seriously, I can't imagine someone spilling thier guts to a complete stranger, let alone an admissions committee person..how to reply?? Are they looking for an academic thing or what?

Members don't see this ad.

Having been through the process last year, and having been successful, especially on the interview end, I can honestly say that the way you should answer these questions is honestly and personably. Spill your guts.. don't breakdown and start crying or start talking about inappropriate subject matter, but let them know who you are. Interviews are not academic. Your gpa...your MCAT scores...transcripts... those are academic. The purpose of an interview is to see what kind of person you are. Sure, you may have the grades, a 35 on the MCAT, but are you a Schmuck? If you are, then chances are they aren't going to want to train you as a physician and have you represent their institution one day. You can let them know that you are an intellectual in an interview, but even then, that is not completely correlated with academics. Some of the greatest intellectuals in history were poor excuses for students. You have gotten an interview... that means, they are prepared to let you in. Now you have to make them want to let you in. Just answer the questions they ask in a manner that represents YOU. If they don't accept you, that's their problem.

I agree with osteopeddoc. Make sure to answer your interview questions honestly. Your interviewers will want to see your true self, so be honest with them and don't just try to come up with the answer you think they want to hear. They will see right through you if you sound insincere.

Speaking of bizarre interview questions, the most bizarre one I got was "If you could be any animal, what would you be?" :eek:

My reply? "A dog, because I feel that I am loyal." :p

Be prepared for some interesting questions like that! I could go on forever about things I regret, but what kind of animal I would be? :laugh: :laugh:

Wow, DOtobe, that was a really weird question. Even having as much time as I need to contemplate that one, I still can't come up with a reasonable answer. Um, homo sapien? Nah, I want to be that gorilla that can communicate with sign language - or the chicken that can play the piano. I think I'm leaning more toward the chicken. :)