How to answer this criminal offense question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fd25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The question is: Have you ever been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to, any moving traffic violations (moving violations include speeding tickets)? If yes, please explain fully below (include information even if charges were dropped, dismissed, or otherwise mitigated).

I was given a speeding ticket as well as a ticket for driving with a suspended registration. I was moving my partner and I's vehicle to a new town during a move, and our insurance had recently lapsed, thus the suspended registration. I went to my court date for these charges and was told to pay the fines but that this would not go on my record.

Should I still answer yes even if these are not on my record? I know one speeding ticket is not the end of the world, but how do you think schools will view the suspended registration charge? I want to explain this situation without sounding like I am making excuses. We struggle financially so the lapse in insurance was because of that. Any advice appreciated!

FYI: this occurred in state where traffic violations are misdemeanors. Again, this shouldn't* appear on my record, but still.

This literally keeps me up at night.

EDIT: I see that I should answer yes because they explicitly state to do so even if charges were dismissed or mitigated, but I am more so asking about the extent to which I should explain.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The question is: Have you ever been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to, any moving traffic violations (moving violations include speeding tickets)? If yes, please explain fully below (include information even if charges were dropped, dismissed, or otherwise mitigated).

I was given a speeding ticket as well as a ticket for driving with a suspended registration. I was moving my partner and I's vehicle to a new town during a move, and our insurance had recently lapsed, thus the suspended registration. I went to my court date for these charges and was told to pay the fines but that this would not go on my record.

Should I still answer yes even if these are not on my record? I know one speeding ticket is not the end of the world, but how do you think schools will view the suspended registration charge? I want to explain this situation without sounding like I am making excuses. We struggle financially so the lapse in insurance was because of that. Any advice appreciated!

FYI: this occurred in state where traffic violations are misdemeanors. Again, this shouldn't* appear on my record, but still.

EDIT: I see that I should answer yes because they explicitly state to do so even if charges were dismissed or mitigated, but I am more so asking about the extent to which I should explain.
First of all, take a deep breath. You are absolutely not the first person applying to medical school with this kind of issue and you will not be the last. This will likely not even cause admissions to raise an eyebrow with how minor it is. Im a current med student and on all my applications had to explain an alcohol offense and on some applications that asked specifically for charges (including the school i am attending) I had to discuss a speeding ticket (misdemeanor as well) and another stupid charge from when I was younger. I have numerous classmates who also had to explain drinking tickets and things like that. These things happen, applicants aren't perfect. I'm not sitting here saying its a good thing, but just trying to offer you some perspective.

What I will say is this, I spent some time reflecting when I was faced with these questions on applications during application cycles. Even placed some calls to lawyers to see what I should/shouldn't say. The question about convictions is standard, a question about charges was intimidating. I made the decision to be fully transparent about my past. I explained everything, what I learned from it, and how I've grown from it. Even though none of these charges have ever (nor will they ever) show up on any background check or anything like that, I didn't want to be haunted by the idea that I hadn't told the complete truth on my application. After all, ethics and morality play a large role in medicine, especially in terms of the physician I want to become. So I decided to stick with the truth and hoped that schools would still see me for the person I am and accept me anyways. And guess what, they did.

TLDR: Be honest, this isn't a big deal at all.

Reactions: 2 users
First of all, take a deep breath. You are absolutely not the first person applying to medical school with this kind of issue and you will not be the last. This will likely not even cause admissions to raise an eyebrow with how minor it is. Im a current med student and on all my applications had to explain an alcohol offense and on some applications that asked specifically for charges (including the school i am attending) I had to discuss a speeding ticket (misdemeanor as well) and another stupid charge from when I was younger. I have numerous classmates who also had to explain drinking tickets and things like that. These things happen, applicants aren't perfect. I'm not sitting here saying its a good thing, but just trying to offer you some perspective.

What I will say is this, I spent some time reflecting when I was faced with these questions on applications during application cycles. Even placed some calls to lawyers to see what I should/shouldn't say. The question about convictions is standard, a question about charges was intimidating. I made the decision to be fully transparent about my past. I explained everything, what I learned from it, and how I've grown from it. Even though none of these charges have ever (nor will they ever) show up on any background check or anything like that, I didn't want to be haunted by the idea that I hadn't told the complete truth on my application. After all, ethics and morality play a large role in medicine, especially in terms of the physician I want to become. So I decided to stick with the truth and hoped that schools would still see me for the person I am and accept me anyways. And guess what, they did.

TLDR: Be honest, this isn't a big deal at all.
Thank you so much for your perspective, that makes me feel better! I will definitely just be honest and stop worrying so much!

Members don't see this ad :)

As @gonnif said answer the question. It’s not rocket science. No reason to call lawyers, no reason to lose sleep. Just answer the question truthfully and describe it succinctly. You’ll be fine. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users