How to answer why not MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BroncosCountry12

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am applying MD-only this upcoming cycle, but research is by far the strongest part of my app (~15 pubs and other good research experience). I have sufficient clinical experience and hours but research was the big focus.

Based on my application, people have told me to be prepared to answer the question "Why aren't you applying MD/PhD?". My truthful answer to this is that I don't want to do another 4 years of training and I don't really care to do much basic science after being an attending. Obviously, this isn't an answer adcoms would want to hear, so how do you suggest I go about explaining why I'm not doing MD/PhD (or if you think they won't ask this at all)?

Thank you for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I am applying MD-only this upcoming cycle, but research is by far the strongest part of my app (~15 pubs and other good research experience). I have sufficient clinical experience and hours but research was the big focus.

Based on my application, people have told me to be prepared to answer the question "Why aren't you applying MD/PhD?". My truthful answer to this is that I don't want to do another 4 years of training and I don't really care to do much basic science after being an attending. Obviously, this isn't an answer adcoms would want to hear, so how do you suggest I go about explaining why I'm not doing MD/PhD (or if you think they won't ask this at all)?

Thank you for reading!
Why would an adcom not want to hear that? It sounds like a pretty reasonable explanation.

Basic science ain't for everyone (or even most people). Good that you tried it and figured out that it isn't for you.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
"I dont wanna" but in a professional way

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You could say it more along the lines of "the extra years of training do not align with my future career goals"

Reactions: 1 users
These are all the answers I gave as well during my interviews and they all were like yup, makes sense. Also maybe mention that you can do meaningful research with only the MD and don't need all that added training.

Reactions: 4 users
Why would an adcom not want to hear that? It sounds like a pretty reasonable explanation.

Basic science ain't for everyone (or even most people). Good that you tried it and figured out that it isn't for you.
Thank you for your reply! Haha I guess I psyched myself out and thought they were expecting some super in-depth answer, and that I would appear "lazy" for not wanting to do an additional 4 years

. My truthful answer to this is that I don't want to do another 4 years of training and I don't really care to do much basic science after being an attending.
It's always best to tell the truth, and you are in error in thinking that Adcoms don't want to hear your answer.

Reactions: 2 users