how to answer this question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akimhaneul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to answer a secondary question that asks what profession would I choose if I couldn't do medicine. I thought about writing about being a PhD research scientist but I am worried that the school might see me as more interested in PhD than medicine due to my application being very research heavy (many pubs, and many years spent in research labs etc.)

If I explain that I would do PhD scientist but I would much rather do medicine due to ABCD reasons, would that be ok? I feel like if I say that "I want to do medicine no matter what and if I did not get in, I will continue to improve my application", I wouldn't be answering the question correctly. idk

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My 2 cents: I think it's perfectly acceptable. Not sure if you would have to explain it, but can talk about how you love research, but it's missing important patient contact and interaction that you will only have as a physician. As a physician you have the best of both worlds, being able to care for patients while still mingling in research.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to answer a secondary question that asks what profession would I choose if I couldn't do medicine. I thought about writing about being a PhD research scientist but I am worried that the school might see me as more interested in PhD than medicine due to my application being very research heavy (many pubs, and many years spent in research labs etc.)

If I explain that I would do PhD scientist but I would much rather do medicine due to ABCD reasons, would that be ok? I feel like if I say that "I want to do medicine no matter what and if I did not get in, I will continue to improve my application", I wouldn't be answering the question correctly. idk

Thanks!
Your worries are unfounded.

What concerns Adcoms is seeing people with tons of research and very little volunteering/clinical exposure. THOSE are the people who would rather be in the lab than touching patients.

Your worries are unfounded.

What concerns Adcoms is seeing people with tons of research and very little volunteering/clinical exposure. THOSE are the people who would rather be in the lab than touching patients.

Thank you so much! So for this question, if I say that I want to be a research scientist but I like medicine much better due to such and such reasons, I should be ok?

In your opinion, is this the right way to answer this question instead of saying medicine all the way no matter what?

Last edited:
Not to hijack this thread, but I don't see the merit of starting a new thread or necroing an old thread. Would saying that in the event of not being admitted to medical school I would pursue a career in Engineering be seen as a detriment to my application in that I might be viewed as "not totally invested in medicine, if I'm willing to go back to a career in Engineering"? I know this is kind of a neuroticy sounding post, but its been something I've been wondering about for a couple of months now.

That "if not medicine, then what" is meant to get at what motivates you to go into medicine. Maybe it is using research findings and even being involved in research as an academic physician so that a reasonable fall back would be a career in research. Maybe it is the opportunity to come up with novel solutions to patients' problems and an engineering career would be a reasonable alternative. For others, the alternative might be teaching or social work or law.

The really bizarre answers that we see sometime (rodeo clown, military leader) are where it gets interesting.

Well, I know what my answer would be.
Helicopter pilot.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
The really bizarre answers that we see sometime (rodeo clown, military leader) are where it gets interesting.

Rodeo clowns are crazy. There was one I met that got kicked by a bull and it broke both bones in his forearm and he asked them to repair it without anesthesia because he said it would affect his work the next day.

Not to hijack this thread, but I don't see the merit of starting a new thread or necroing an old thread. Would saying that in the event of not being admitted to medical school I would pursue a career in Engineering be seen as a detriment to my application in that I might be viewed as "not totally invested in medicine, if I'm willing to go back to a career in Engineering"? I know this is kind of a neuroticy sounding post, but its been something I've been wondering about for a couple of months now.
It's a pre-med delusion that Adcoms expect 100% of your life to revolve around Medicine.

Look, the question is a simple one. What's your Plan B? It's NOT a trick question. Most people are not going to be doctors, even among those interviewed.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you so much! So for this question, if I say that I want to be a research scientist but I like medicine much better due to such and such reasons, I should be ok?

In your opinion, is this the right way to answer this question instead of saying medicine all the way no matter what?
just be creative about it.

What did you do to get onto the Bad Boy list???

Apparently I was told I used inappropriate language in the UCSF thread...
I was frustrated...
And it was all asterisked...
And I never actually spelled out the words...
Ah well.

• Haha
  • Wow
Rodeo clowns are crazy. There was one I met that got kicked by a bull and it broke both bones in his forearm and he asked them to repair it without anesthesia because he said it would affect his work the next day.
Seems like rodeo clowns would make perfect medical students and residents then:
- dedicated
- uncomplaining
- interest in protecting others
- self-deprecating humor

Last edited:
Apparently I was told I used inappropriate language in the UCSF thread...
I was frustrated...
And it was all asterisked...
And I never actually spelled out the words...
Ah well.
Weird...I use asterisked based language all the time willy nilly across SDN, yet it was “Stop riding their....” defending someone in a PM that was the straw that broke the camels’s back. Inappropriate language is on a crack down on SDN...Duly noted (TBH, we really should avoid language such as this I guess).

Weird...I use asterisked based language all the time willy nilly across SDN, yet it was “Stop riding their....” defending someone in a PM that was the straw that broke the camels’s back. Inappropriate language is on a crack down on SDN...Duly noted (TBH, we really should avoid language such as this I guess).

Probably. But sometimes “Aw shucks” or “gosh darn it” don’t adequately express one’s emotions...

• Love
Probably. But sometimes “Aw shucks” or “gosh darn it” don’t adequately express one’s emotions...
Having yelled "WTF are you doing" full stop to a nurse about to draw a patient without gloves, tourniquet, or alcohol prep....I sympathize with this sentiment.

Having yelled "WTF are you doing" full stop to a nurse about to draw a patient without gloves, tourniquet, or alcohol prep....I sympathize with this sentiment.

The gloves, maybe...but no tourniquet or EtOH? No bueno.

Reactions: 1 users
At one of my interviews the other week, my faculty interviewer asked this question. After I responded, he exclaims “oh, thank god! The last person in here said they wanted to be a professional balloon maker. He actually pulled a balloon out of his pocket and asked if he could make one for me. I’d be surprised if anyone could top that!”

So if there’s anything you shouldn’t put OP, it’s “professional balloon maker.”

At one of my interviews the other week, my faculty interviewer asked this question. After I responded, he exclaims “oh, thank god! The last person in here said they wanted to be a professional balloon maker. He actually pulled a balloon out of his pocket and asked if he could make one for me. I’d be surprised if anyone could top that!”

That guy is gunning hard for Peds

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

That’s hilarious. What was your response to that question?