How to approach Zanki during 1st year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Billroth_III

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing Zanki 1st year, do you use it in addition to the system you are currently studying while reviewing past material or do you kind of "go ahead" and do a little bit of everything even if you have not learned it yet? Example would be Neuro which my school teaches 2nd year, I can't imagine looking at all that when it's about a year away still...

Members don't see this ad.

My pace has me going ahead, but I just do it more or less in the order of the curriculum. I'll make an alteration in the order if I feel it'll suit me better. For example, we do all systems path second year. I felt that it would help me understand the physiology better if I did the path with certain systems that are less than straightforward for me (cardiovascular, respiratory, and renal).

I look at it like this; I have a finite amount of time to master this material. It's on me to do this, not the school. BnB, Wikipedia, UptoDate, textbooks, and practice questions have got me covered. School stuff is just a supplement.

Depending on the subject, by the time my school gets around to covering it, I would have gone through the material so many times, it'll be nothing to learn the extra stuff that they care about to be able to pass exams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My pace has me going ahead, but I just do it more or less in the order of the curriculum. I'll make an alteration in the order if I feel it'll suit me better. For example, we do all systems path second year. I felt that it would help me understand the physiology better if I did the path with certain systems that are less than straightforward for me (cardiovascular, respiratory, and renal).

I look at it like this; I have a finite amount of time to master this material. It's on me to do this, not the school. BnB, Wikipedia, UptoDate, textbooks, and practice questions have got me covered. School stuff is just a supplement.

Depending on the subject, by the time my school gets around to covering it, I would have gone through the material so many times, it'll be nothing to learn the extra stuff that they care about to be able to pass exams.
That makes excellent sense. There really is only a finite amount of time

Members don't see this ad :)
I just do the Zanki + Zanki pharm for the blocks we are in/have already covered. This keeps me plenty busy with Anki and supplements my other resources very nicely. Plus the spaced repetition keeps me up on the past material. I think I'm one of the only people in my class actually keeping up on Zanki for past blocks, and honestly it kind of shows. I'm hoping that when boards roll around, it will have benefitted me to keep this things fresher in my mind.

Reactions: 2 users
I just do the Zanki + Zanki pharm for the blocks we are in/have already covered. This keeps me plenty busy with Anki and supplements my other resources very nicely. Plus the spaced repetition keeps me up on the past material. I think I'm one of the only people in my class actually keeping up on Zanki for past blocks, and honestly it kind of shows. I'm hoping that when boards roll around, it will have benefitted me to keep this things fresher in my mind.

how does it show, doc rainbow?

how does it show, doc rainbow?
I meant that when our professors reference things from past blocks and do that pause where they're waiting for us to fill in the blanks of things we learned at some point, most people are unable to fill in the blanks. Obviously sometimes I am unable to as well, but it definitely is less often than the majority of my class, and I think it's honestly just because I do the Zanki cards so the past info is fresher in my mind. I'm kind of an idiot and need constant reminders of information, so the Zanki thing works well for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Gotcha. I love anki but use it in the cowardly way (ie right up until the exam and then forget about it). I am also an idiot (in the sense you described). I may have to just bite the bullet and get on the review train.

Gotcha. I love anki but use it in the cowardly way (ie right up until the exam and then forget about it). I am also an idiot (in the sense you described). I may have to just bite the bullet and get on the review train.
I have the same problem

I have the same problem

This is what I am grappling with right now. I know what I should do, but the OMM test coming up makes me want to just focus on that. A.T. Still give me strength!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users