How to ask a professor/PI about helping write a research paper and publishing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorrr-t

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been in this lab for about a year, and I had a pretty cool project with some great results that my PI mentioned would be published in her upcoming paper. However, before I had the time to discuss publications and tie the loose ends of my results, my summer internship at a different lab began. Now, I don't really know what is going on in my previous lab, and I really want to my work to be published, I'm not sure if I need to help write the paper to be listed as one of the authors though? If this is the case, I really want to email my PI and express my interests, but I also feel guilty about not working in her lab this summer. Any advice on what I should do? I don't want to miss out on this opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

What's done is done, and you're out of the lab.

Just email her and mention that you enjoyed the experience, and if she needs anything written up for the eventual paper, you'll be happy to do that for her.

Reactions: 1 user
What's done is done, and you're out of the lab.

Just email her and mention that you enjoyed the experience, and if she needs anything written up for the eventual paper, you'll be happy to do that for her.
Wholeheartedly disagree.

OP, if you have the results to write to write the paper and the time to do so, I would reach out to your old PI. They will be able to help get things started. At the very least, if you someone picks up your project where you left off, you could provide insight and help write the manuscript and be a middle author when the time comes to publish the results.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to set up a meeting with your old PI. If it was a project directly related to their grant, they will have to publish them so nothing to do unless you wanna be a first author, which won’t likely happen given your short tenure there.

If it was an independent project, your PI will forget about it soon so set up a meeting and tie those loose ends.

I've been in this lab for about a year, and I had a pretty cool project with some great results that my PI mentioned would be published in her upcoming paper. However, before I had the time to discuss publications and tie the loose ends of my results, my summer internship at a different lab began. Now, I don't really know what is going on in my previous lab, and I really want to my work to be published, I'm not sure if I need to help write the paper to be listed as one of the authors though? If this is the case, I really want to email my PI and express my interests, but I also feel guilty about not working in her lab this summer. Any advice on what I should do? I don't want to miss out on this opportunity.
In general, authorship credit is based on the following recommended criteria (see ICMJE Recommendations):

1. Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND
2. Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND
3. Final approval of the version to be published; AND
4. Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.

All members of the group named as authors should meet all four criteria for authorship, including approval of the final manuscript; AND they should be able to take public responsibility for the work; AND they should have full confidence in the accuracy and integrity of the work of other group authors. They will also be expected as individuals to complete disclosure forms.

Otherwise, an individual who does not meet all four criteria set forth above might be "acknowledged" in the manuscript, based on their contribution to the project or study.

If your former PI eventually chooses to submit a manscript for publication (which may or may not happen now or in the foreseeable future), and the proposed manuscript includes your project results as an actual contribution to the work, you may be "acknowledged" in the manuscript.

However, right now, you do not know whether your former PI will publish anything ... and the PI's publication plans or interests may change or vanish over time. You can contact your former PI and ask about the projected use or status of your project results. Most experienced PIs are accustomed to answering questions about authorship credit and acknowledgements ... no worries.

Otherwise, it does not sound as if you have satisfied the four criteria for authorship at this time pursuant to the recommendations of the ICMJE.

Hope this information is useful to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Here's a nice article for someone who might work in a lab before medical school.