How to Ask for Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hthoang

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just offered an interview from one of the schools in Texas (my home state). Currently i am working in Boston and would really like to save money on flights, especially in this economy. so can anyone give me advice as to how to ask med schools for interviews while i'm in town, without sounding too cocky and stupid? :scared:

Also, asking schools for interviews would not hurt me, right?:confused: thx

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I was just offered an interview from one of the schools in Texas (my home state). Currently i am working in Boston and would really like to save money on flights, especially in this economy. so can anyone give me advice as to how to ask med schools for interviews while i'm in town, without sounding too cocky and stupid? :scared:

Also, asking schools for interviews would not hurt me, right?:confused: thx

You don't ask for interviews. They select you for them.

OP says he was already offered (or selected for) an interview.

I would think scheduling is somewhat flexible. If you just explain your situation and simply ask you would not sound cocky.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP says he was already offered (or selected for) an interview.

I would think scheduling is somewhat flexible. If you just explain your situation and simply ask you would not sound cocky.

Oh I see. Yeah, in that case, I think a call would suffice.

I read it as the OP has been offered an interview at one of the Texas state schools, and so they'd like to knock out the interviews at as many Texas schools as they can in one trip.

It's not unheard of to shoot the other schools in the area an email simply saying, "Hey, I've been given an interview at School X on Date Y; if I am being considered for an interview at your school as well and if it is at all possible, I would appreciate being offered an interview near Date Y to minimize my traveling costs. However, of course, I will understand if that is not possible." Just do it with the expectation of getting nothing out of it and with the understanding that it would be a bonus if you did get your request granted.

Seeing as this isn't really a question that's specific to a single school, I'm going to move this to Pre-Allo.

It wouldn't hurt to ask.

When's the interview? The only problem is that it's still really early in the application process, and the other schools may not have had the chance to review your application yet. But it's pretty common for people to group interviews together if they're traveling a long way....but don't give off the impression that you expect them to interview you. Maybe send them an email notifying them that you will be in the area over a range of dates?