How to ask for LOR from a dentist????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cosmeticdent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious on how to ask the dentist you shadow for a LOR...I mean do they know that they will be giving you one? How should you ask? What should you ask? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

How close are you to the dentist that you shadowed? I shadowed one dentist for 2 hours for three days...I found his office online, so I did not know him personally. I didn't feel comfortable asking him for a req since we'd known eachother for so little time. Is this the case with you? Luckily I used to work for a dentist, so this is the one who wrote the recommendation for me. I just called her office, told her staff who I was and that I wanted to speak to her. This was not the staff that I worked with when I was there so of course they told me she was with a patient, but I gave them my info and she called me back. I asked her on the phone and she was happy to write it.

I was curious on how to ask the dentist you shadow for a LOR...I mean do they know that they will be giving you one? How should you ask? What should you ask? Any suggestions?

If you ask a dentist for a LOR, he/she will not be surprised. Taking into consideration that they went through the same process as you when they were applying to D-school.

Members don't see this ad :)

It depends on whether you are shadowing them or have already shadowed them and no longer are. I am going to assume you are currently shadowing. When shadowing, I would say giving the dentist a month before you stop shadowing should be sufficient. For one, you don't want to request a letter and not show up the next week. And two, you have to get comfortable enough with the dentist so shadow at least 25 hours before you request it. Just my preference. Now to ask: initiate a conversation. You want to know that the dentist isn't about to leave and go fondle someones mouth. Make sure there aren't any patients. Heck, even approach them at the end of the day or go to their office after lunch (fed dentists are happier). Okay, start the conversation. Here, I'll give you a quick example:

Y: So Doc Blah Blah, (ask them a question, simple, about their practice maybe) how long have you been practicing dentistry?

DBB: Blah, blah, blah, blah.

Y: *show interest* You know, I'm applying to dental school next whenever, whenever. I would be honored if you would be willing to write my LOR.

DBB: *trapped and no escape* Why, sure. I'll be glad to write your letter because otherwise I'd be an ass if I rejected you.

Y: I can bring in the form next week (May Johnny Bravo (GOD) help you if you immediately hand them the papers after you ask (I think there should be a sheet sent to dental school, also include a very detailed resume)...BUT TURN IT IN THE WEEK AFTER!!!)).

Done.

Now, we go back to the one month thing. Most dentists are busy people. They are not going to write you an LOR immediately. They will probably take, you guessed it, a month. So in that month, let them go to know you as the hardest, smartest, most interesting person in the world.

"doc may I speak with you?

As you nkow Im applying this cycle to school. Ive had a wonderful experience in your office, and I truly apprecite the time and consideration youve given me during my stay. I would be honored if you would recommend me to dental school. What do you think?"

And yes, they know the request is coming. Remember my young predents, dentists are people too. They will know what you want to talk about as your walking to their office, and theyre taking notes on how you are handling the pressure.

If youve minded your p's and q's during your shadowing experience, you have nothing to worry about. Its very rare for a student to get turned down for a letter.