How to ask why I was rejected from a program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pt1819

Reaction score
I was rejected from a program that I thought I had a decent chance of getting into. I think I might know why I have been rejected but I would like to know for sure so I can make sure to improve upon that aspect for next year if I don't get accepted anywhere this cycle. Is it unprofessional to ask why I was rejected? How can I word an email to an admissions counselor without sounding like I'm whining about not getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it’s perfectly fine as long as you word it wisely. I would check their website (possibly their FAQ page) first to see if they offer feedback on applications. I have seen some schools’ websites mention that they will not discuss your application with you. But if there is no mention of it, I would send an email along the lines of:

I am very interested in the DPT program at *school’s name* because *a genuine reason why you liked their program*. Although I received a rejection this year, I would like to reapply next year. I was wondering if you could offer me some feedback as to how I can improve myself and my application for the next cycle?

Reactions: 1 users
I think it’s perfectly fine as long as you word it wisely. I would check their website (possibly their FAQ page) first to see if they offer feedback on applications. I have seen some schools’ websites mention that they will not discuss your application with you. But if there is no mention of it, I would send an email along the lines of:

I am very interested in the DPT program at *school’s name* because *a genuine reason why you liked their program*. Although I received a rejection this year, I would like to reapply next year. I was wondering if you could offer me some feedback as to how I can improve myself and my application for the next cycle?
That sounds perfect thank you!

I was rejected from a program that I thought I had a decent chance of getting into. I think I might know why I have been rejected but I would like to know for sure so I can make sure to improve upon that aspect for next year if I don't get accepted anywhere this cycle. Is it unprofessional to ask why I was rejected? How can I word an email to an admissions counselor without sounding like I'm whining about not getting in?
Many schools are open to discussing your applications with you but as stated above double check the school allows it. Then come at it from a positive side not a negative. I set up meetings, or phone calls, with several schools I applied to last year. I also added the added benefit of getting your name/face in the heads of the program.