How to Avoid Coming Off Uber-Religious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mreyno18

Reaction score
Many of the schools I am planning on applying to ask that if you take a gap year between undergrad and medical school that you explain why. Mine is simple -- I am doing YWAM. YWAM is a Christian organization, focused on providing young adults with experience in missionary work. For anyone unfamiliar, it is a huge organization, with 1,100 ministry locations in over 180 countries. Approximately 25,000 young adults do their 6-month discipleship training schools every year. There are tons of different programs for all different kinds of skills and passions. I will be doing the intro to global health care one in which we will study basic healthcare taught by professionals for 3 months and then go to a 3rd world country and provide basic checkups and healthcare. I am doing this because of my passion for service (1500+ volunteer hours), helping heal the world both physically and spiritually, and use my time to make a stride towards healthcare for all (A humanitarian/political interest of mine and have done a medical mission trip prior to this too)

There are other instances in my application in which religion comes up. I volunteered as a youth group leader since high school, worked as a camp counselor at my childhood summer bible camp which I volunteer at as well, and am part of 2 campus ministries. One of the ministries is my biggest leadership experience - almost 1000 hours (small group leader, mission trips, promo tabling, retreats, leadership meetings, prayer team, etc.)

I know that religion can be a touchy subject, but since my faith is such an integral part of my life and my desire to become a doctor, it is hard to not include it. That being said it is also mentioned in my personal statement, not too much, but it is mentioned as it plays a role in my decision.

I just don't want to come off so uber-religious that it repels adcoms. What do you guys recommend?

*And before anyone mentions it, I am not applying to Loma-Linda as that is not my denomination.

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend that you not try to hide who you are. You should be fine at most schools, and, to the extent you are not, those schools won't be good fits for you anyway. Your story sounds great, your level of service sounds great, and I think you sound like a strong candidate. If you think you need to play down your strengths to avoid possible discrimination by someone who finds you too religious for their taste, that's your call, but I think the cost of using that strategy will far outweigh any potential benefit.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it will be important for you to critically reflect on the role that missionary work historically & currently plays in promoting colonialism, the white savior complex, the exploitation of local peoples, and more.

In particular,
I will be doing the intro to global health care one in which we will study basic healthcare taught by professionals for 3 months and then go to a 3rd world country and provide basic checkups and healthcare.
seriously concerns me and could be harmful and exploitative to the community, depending on the services you are providing when you are not a fully trained medical professional. Your faith and coming off as "uber-religious" is not the issue, but the harms you may be inflicting on other communities very well could be.

(as a side note, it is generally not appropriate to call somewhere a "third world country"—depending on the country in question, the Global South would be more appropriate)

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many of the schools I am planning on applying to ask that if you take a gap year between undergrad and medical school that you explain why. Mine is simple -- I am doing YWAM. YWAM is a Christian organization, focused on providing young adults with experience in missionary work. For anyone unfamiliar, it is a huge organization, with 1,100 ministry locations in over 180 countries. Approximately 25,000 young adults do their 6-month discipleship training schools every year. There are tons of different programs for all different kinds of skills and passions. I will be doing the intro to global health care one in which we will study basic healthcare taught by professionals for 3 months and then go to a 3rd world country and provide basic checkups and healthcare. I am doing this because of my passion for service (1500+ volunteer hours), helping heal the world both physically and spiritually, and use my time to make a stride towards healthcare for all (A humanitarian/political interest of mine and have done a medical mission trip prior to this too)

There are other instances in my application in which religion comes up. I volunteered as a youth group leader since high school, worked as a camp counselor at my childhood summer bible camp which I volunteer at as well, and am part of 2 campus ministries. One of the ministries is my biggest leadership experience - almost 1000 hours (small group leader, mission trips, promo tabling, retreats, leadership meetings, prayer team, etc.)

I know that religion can be a touchy subject, but since my faith is such an integral part of my life and my desire to become a doctor, it is hard to not include it. That being said it is also mentioned in my personal statement, not too much, but it is mentioned as it plays a role in my decision.

I just don't want to come off so uber-religious that it repels adcoms. What do you guys recommend?

*And before anyone mentions it, I am not applying to Loma-Linda as that is not my denomination.

Lots of devoutly religious people enter medical school every year. As long as your religion does not inform any of your political opinions to the point it would call into question your competent care of certain patient communities, it's not going to be an issue.

The much bigger issue I see is that mission trip you've got coming up. Exactly what kind of "healthcare" is this organization having you perform? Is this something you would not be licensed to do in the US?

If the answer is yes - you're performing healthcare procedures that would be illegal for you to perform in the US because you're not a licensed medical professional, then you're basically telling adcoms that you're eager to offer substandard healthcare to people in need. I know that's not what you intend, but that's how it's likely going to be received.

PS: I strongly suggest using the term "developing country" rather than "3rd world" going forward. "Developing country/region" is the preferred term in global medicine. Also, the phrase "third world country" is evolving increasingly negative/politically fraught/xenophobic connotations, so I wouldn't use it going forward if I were you.

Reactions: 8 users

Do you have any service to others less fortunate than yourself?

What is your patient contact experience?

Any shadowing?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have any service to others less fortunate than yourself?

What is your patient contact experience?

Any shadowing?
I have service at the foodbank and an afterschool program for children in low-income housing neighborhoods.
By the time I graduate, I will have about 2000 hrs of being a CNA.
I have about 50 hrs of shadowing (covid took most of my experiences away), but I am still trying to find more.

Lots of devoutly religious people enter medical school every year. As long as your religion does not inform any of your political opinions to the point it would call into question your competent care of certain patient communities, it's not going to be an issue.

The much bigger issue I see is that mission trip you've got coming up. Exactly what kind of "healthcare" is this organization having you perform? Is this something you would not be licensed to do in the US?

If the answer is yes - you're performing healthcare procedures that would be illegal for you to perform in the US because you're not a licensed medical professional, then you're basically telling adcoms that you're eager to offer substandard healthcare to people in need. I know that's not what you intend, but that's how it's likely going to be received.

PS: I strongly suggest using the term "developing country" rather than "3rd world" going forward. "Developing country/region" is the preferred term in global medicine. Also, the phrase "third world country" is evolving increasingly negative/politically fraught/xenophobic connotations, so I wouldn't use it going forward if I were you.
I know that this is usually an issue with pre-meds going on medical missions. However, that is why for the first 3 months we are in the USA at our base. We work hard and are nationally certified (take classes, study, do clinicals, and take exams) in Basic Health Care, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, Providing First Aid in remote areas, and Advanced First Aid (and some others I am probably forgetting). Only those who pass and get certified will be able to provide healthcare. We do discipleship and missionary training during this time as well, even though the majority of our time is to get medically certified. This is why it is called a discipleship training school, we take classes to get certified and it’s worth a bunch of credits for various missionary and more advanced medical certifications and degrees.

The communities that my specific base in Hawaii go to are in Papau New Guinea. They go to remote and isolated villages that they visit once every few of years (they have these programs 4 times a year). We also go to promote healthy living, taking care of oneself, preventing disease, etc.

Nothing we are doing is illegal in America. YWAM also has medical missions for medical professionals that use their medical boat to travel to these places to perform advanced care, dental care, surgeries, etc. However, we are able to go more often as we are not full time medical professionals and we do more of the teachings, more simple healthcare, etc.

Last edited:
I think it will be important for you to critically reflect on the role that missionary work historically & currently plays in promoting colonialism, the white savior complex, the exploitation of local peoples, and more.

In particular,

seriously concerns me and could be harmful and exploitative to the community, depending on the services you are providing when you are not a fully trained medical professional. Your faith and coming off as "uber-religious" is not the issue, but the harms you may be inflicting on other communities very well could be.

(as a side note, it is generally not appropriate to call somewhere a "third world country"—depending on the country in question, the Global South would be more appropriate)
We are nationally certified in everything before we do it. We are not performing any advanced medical procedures, above I talked about the medical missions for medical professionals and how are roles are different as well as what we get certified in, which is why the first 3 months are learning. The school offers actual credits towards various medical degrees, as we are getting nationally certified in several advanced first aid-type things.

Voluntourism is a big issue and ywam prevents that by making the program not a one-sided benefit. Noncertified premeds going to developing countries to do things they shouldn’t be doing is a big problem. But we are certified before we do anything.

The white savior complex is also an issue. YWAM programs attract students from every continent (besides Antarctica) and is almost completely free for those from developing nations in order to be available to a more diverse group of people. YWAM is very proactive about making sure students center their hearts on compassion, realize we are not their to save anyone or fix anyone, but rather to use our skills and interests to help and care for our fellow brothers and sisters. We also desire to learn from those that we meet and become more globally understanding and diversify our cultural knowledge. It’s simply a way to dive into Christian medical missions to learn how religion and medicine can work together and how we can continue to use our passions and skills to love others.

YWAM works to set up more long term establishments, like schools, clinics, etc and for locals to run for their communities. This is just not something I’m involved with so I don’t know a lot about it.

You can and should discuss the substance of what you will do and it’s impact on your, your values, and what you want to accomplish as a clinician. You absolutely should not spend valuable space discussing the organization, its religious affiliation, it’s values, the work it does to be equitable, etc as your essays should be about you. Remember to use inclusive language and emphasize service to others without putting yourself above those you serve. If you frame it this way it shouldn’t be a problem. And this is coming from someone who used to score applications from U of U and BYU for a national service organization with a 10% acceptance rate.

Reactions: 7 users
This will not be just one gap year but two because you can't apply during the year you are doing your mission service unless you have a billionaire uncle you haven't told us about. The application year should, ideally, be spent on the US mainland. It is quite likely that we could be returning to in-person interviews in the 2022-23 cycle and beyond and it helps to be close by (4 hours or less by plane) in order to attend.

Reactions: 2 users

Don't preach your faith and don't hide who you are. Focus on the positive impact you've had, the training you've received, your clinical exposure you've had, the cultural sensitivity you've developed, the teamwork and leadership skills you've nurtured. and of course the lessons you've learned that are applicable to medicine and show fit (in secondaries) with the schools you are applying to.

Reactions: 3 users

In particular,

And the Global South? What does that mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
And the Global South? What does that mean?
here is a link: Global South: what does it mean and why use the term? | Global South Political Commentaries

rather than focusing on "underdevelopment," poverty, or lack of resources in a country, this term attempts to capture broader patterns of colonialism & neo-imperialism that continue to shape global relations and power imbalances. while it can be rather vague in terms of what countries fall under its umbrella, it is often preferred because it focuses on understanding the present state of countries in terms of a history of settler-colonialism & white supremacy, and how those forces continue to perpetuate global inequities. the article discusses more of the drawbacks of the term (there will always be drawbacks to language!)

in my opinion, there is also a connotation of inferiority that comes with labeling somewhere a "third world country," and using a term like the "global south" acknowledges why those imbalances exist in the first place, rather than perpetuate harmful stereotypes. hope this is helpful!

Reactions: 1 users
here is a link: Global South: what does it mean and why use the term? | Global South Political Commentaries

rather than focusing on "underdevelopment," poverty, or lack of resources in a country, this term attempts to capture broader patterns of colonialism & neo-imperialism that continue to shape global relations and power imbalances. while it can be rather vague in terms of what countries fall under its umbrella, it is often preferred because it focuses on understanding the present state of countries in terms of a history of settler-colonialism & white supremacy, and how those forces continue to perpetuate global inequities. the article discusses more of the drawbacks of the term (there will always be drawbacks to language!)

in my opinion, there is also a connotation of inferiority that comes with labeling somewhere a "third world country," and using a term like the "global south" acknowledges why those imbalances exist in the first place, rather than perpetuate harmful stereotypes. hope this is helpful!
I am from the south and I find this term offensive; additionally it reinforces a negative stereotype.

Last edited:
as a side note, it is generally not appropriate to call somewhere a "third world country"—depending on the country in question, the Global South would be more appropriate)

OP, this is a good example of "know your audience". While @mangowolf articulates the idea mentioned, in Spanish we refer to these countries as "paises del tercer mundo". My clinic patients and I use the Spanish phrase since they are mostly Latin Americans from these very same countries including your's truly. The Spanish dictionary, Real Academia Española, also uses the phrase:

tercer mundo
1. m. Conjunto de los países menos desarrollados económica y socialmente.

However, with formal applications for colleges, graduate schools, employers, etc, you should "read the room" and be judicious about your verbiage. While you (and I) are people of Faith, you are trying to get into medical school, not convert your audience. If you really want to evangelize them, get accepted to their schools, say little, and let your actions preach the Good News. And that is what you should be listing on your application: your actions in reaching the poor, the hungry, the sick, the prisoners, the orphans, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.