How to be accepted from the waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrvercetti

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently sitting on multiple waitlists and no acceptances. How do I materialize one of these into an acceptance come April?

Should I continue with my current activities or try to take on new ventures to have more interesting updates? One school explicitly stated that updates after interview will not be considered unless they are academic but I am not taking classes.

At what point do I begin to plan for reapplication or should I assume that >3 waitlists will certainly yield an acceptance (considering the schools each are relatively new)? I have an acceptance to Georgetowns SMP however.

Members don't see this ad.

How to get off the waitlist: Sending updates is the best way, but for your top-school you could send a letter of intent. Essentially you tell them that if you were accepted you would go, why you like the school, and why you are a good fit for the school - you have to mean it though. I wouldn't count on 3 WLs = acceptance, I think the odds are in your favor for acceptance but it depends on the school and how many acceptances they have already given out.

Also if you don't get in you'll have to decide to apply during or after the SMP. After will make your application stronger but at the expense of waiting another year. I successfully applied after I completed my SMP. It made a huge difference in my application.

Tagging this. Also, anyone know if at most schools there is any chronological preference to taking off the waitlist? Based on the school-specific thread here, I was in the first interview group where everyone was waitlisted, presumably because the class is full.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tagging this. Also, anyone know if at most schools there is any chronological preference to taking off the waitlist? Based on the school-specific thread here, I was in the first interview group where everyone was waitlisted, presumably because the class is full.

It varies but from what I have been told most schools rank-order waitlists. You can move up in the ranking by sending updates and letters of intent. A few schools rank-order and do not change the rank once it has been assigned.

It varies but from what I have been told most schools rank-order waitlists. You can move up in the ranking by sending updates and letters of intent. A few schools rank-order and do not change the rank once it has been assigned.

Thanks for the reply. Probably a stupid question, but is there any utility in sending an update letter if I haven't really taken on any new opportunities? I guess now is the time I should be seeking a new volunteer opportunity or something.

Thanks for the reply. Probably a stupid question, but is there any utility in sending an update letter if I haven't really taken on any new opportunities? I guess now is the time I should be seeking a new volunteer opportunity or something.

No question is stupid, I wanted to ask in another thread about what I should say on the phone to check my application. But you're right, update letters are for anything new you're doing, volunteer, a new job, if you're still in school sometimes people will let their schools know their grades have been updated. To send one for no reason might not be a good idea. It can help to take on something during the cycle, I'm personally volunteering near my home till I have at least one acceptance in my hand, then I can relax a bit, though I love where I'm volunteering so I plan to stick around as long as I can before classes start.

No question is stupid, I wanted to ask in another thread about what I should say on the phone to check my application. But you're right, update letters are for anything new you're doing, volunteer, a new job, if you're still in school sometimes people will let their schools know their grades have been updated. To send one for no reason might not be a good idea. It can help to take on something during the cycle, I'm personally volunteering near my home till I have at least one acceptance in my hand, then I can relax a bit, though I love where I'm volunteering so I plan to stick around as long as I can before classes start.

I thought so. I guess my only reservation about this was that, say I started a new volunteer gig, schools are going to look at that and believe I only did it because I'm on their WL.

You can't. Patience is a virtue.

I am currently sitting on multiple waitlists and no acceptances. How do I materialize one of these into an acceptance come April?

If your current activities will improve your app for the next cycle, in case you gfet shut out, then continue with the status quo. You should ALWAYS have a Plan B.
Should I continue with my current activities or try to take on new ventures to have more interesting updates? One school explicitly stated that updates after interview will not be considered unless they are academic but I am not taking classes.

Right now.
At what point do I begin to plan for reapplication

You can't assume that at all. No accepts after 3 interviews hints at poor interviewing skills.
or should I assume that >3 waitlists will certainly yield an acceptance (considering the schools each are relatively new)?

Might be worth it IF you were a marginal candidate , GPA-wise. The SMP will not help with a borderline MCAT, or weak interview skills (or poor essays).
I have an acceptance to Georgetowns SMP however.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro

If an applicant were sitting on your waitlist and sent your admissions committee a new volunteering activity that they started since being on the WL, would you look upon that favorably? Negatively?

Do you really think our Admissions dean will come running to us screaming "We have to accept this kid!!! They just started a new activity!!!"

?????

@Goro

If an applicant were sitting on your waitlist and sent your admissions committee a new volunteering activity that they started since being on the WL, would you look upon that favorably? Negatively?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you really think our Admissions dean will come running to us screaming "We have to accept this kid!!! They just started a new activity!!!"

?????

Not in the least, I simply asked if you would look upon it favorably or negatively. Point taken I guess.

?????

I just recently started volunteering as a healer wizard at the local dungeons and dragons playgroup. I feel like this helps my application because my character is all about healing the impoverished Orcs and it's all about service to the community that's what medicine is all about. Will this get me off of a waitlist?

?????
I don't know why, but this made me laugh harder than I should have.

Thanks @Goro, I needed that today

Not in the least, I simply asked if you would look upon it favorably or negatively. Point taken I guess.

Unless its a MAJOR update (LOR, publication, Nobel Prize, cancer cure, Skynet destroyer, etc.) I doubt it will help much. However, you could wait and tailor it into your Letter of Intent (if you choose to submit one in the future).

?????
Please keep the conversation civil and professional. Thanks.

I appreciate the advice. I am going to update each school once the interview cycle comes to a close in April and send one letter of intent as well. In the meantime I need to improve my interview skills.

I appreciate the advice. I am going to update each school once the interview cycle comes to a close in April and send one letter of intent as well. In the meantime I need to improve my interview skills.

Quick question, what exactly does an "update" entail? What if i have not taken on new oppurtunies because my plate is already full with an 80 hour work week? FYI, I've got acceptances to a few places but really want to go to the schools that waitlisted me.

Quick question, what exactly does an "update" entail? What if i have not taken on new oppurtunies because my plate is already full with an 80 hour work week? FYI, I've got acceptances to a few places but really want to go to the schools that waitlisted me.
Well well well if it isn't Mr.acceptance hog! You're contributing to waitlist stagnation! Shoo shoo!