how to choose a research project?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racq77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New poster, long time reader.

I have a chance to work on two research projects, one at NYU, one at Cornell. Both in the same modality. What should my criteria be for choosing between the two?

The projects are equally interesting. The Cornell doc is a more prolific researcher but both are well published. The NYU project is 2 months long, possibly 3. The Cornell will definitely be 3 months long. Otherwise, the opportunities are pretty comparable.

I know Cornell has accepted DOs before (I'm one) and I'm almost sure NYU has not. In that case, I would lean towards Cornell as this research project could provide exposure to a school that actually may consider my application.

On the other hand, NYU has a stronger radiology / research reputation and the research experience is most important to me.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

racq77 said:
New poster, long time reader.

I have a chance to work on two research projects, one at NYU, one at Cornell. Both in the same modality. What should my criteria be for choosing between the two?

The projects are equally interesting. The Cornell doc is a more prolific researcher but both are well published. The NYU project is 2 months long, possibly 3. The Cornell will definitely be 3 months long. Otherwise, the opportunities are pretty comparable.

I know Cornell has accepted DOs before (I'm one) and I'm almost sure NYU has not. In that case, I would lean towards Cornell as this research project could provide exposure to a school that actually may consider my application.

On the other hand, NYU has a stronger radiology / research reputation and the research experience is most important to me.

Thoughts?

1. Choose the project that is more likely to result in a publication/presentation.

2. Choose the project you are more likely to see to completion.

3. Choose to work with the mentor who is more friendly and helpful and may become your advocate.

Docmike2006 said:
1. Choose the project that is more likely to result in a publication/presentation.

2. Choose the project you are more likely to see to completion.

3. Choose to work with the mentor who is more friendly and helpful and may become your advocate.

I agree with DocMike's assessment. Cornell and especially NYU are pretty competitive, so in case you can't match at one of those places, it would be nice to have something substantial to present to other schools. Good luck

Which ever you choose, give me the other one. :D

...totally serious btw.