How to choose between schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pedsmd2b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never thought I'd be here, but I'm having to choose between multiple acceptances. So first, I'm waitlisted at my DREAM school/1st choice Georgetown. A couple of weeks ago I interviewed at Tufts and loved it, so its my second choice for a few logistical reasons, but I'm not sure I'll get in there...So anyone who's been waitlisted at your top choice, I'd appreciate some advice for how long to wait...FYI I'm applying to Navy HPSP, so money is not a huge factor here as I'm assuming I'll get that scholarship.

Current acceptances:
1. Geisinger (AKA TCMC)
Pros: offered a $20,000/year scholarship, small class size, relatively close to home (4 hrs driving), nice faculty
Cons: cold weather (went to undergrad in upstate NY), flipped classroom starting in M2 year (I learn best by going to class), didn't really connect with the school like my top 2, pretty much unknown in the medical community, not many opportunities for patient experience, REQUIRED TO HAVE A CAR (I'd have to buy one)

2. EVMS
Pros: Ultrasound program, close to home (4 hrs driving), small class size, older than Geisinger
Cons: same as Geisinger except warmer, no scholarship offer but slightly cheaper tuition

3. Drexel
Pros: Well known and established, more opportunities for clinical experiences in Philly, already know some of the faculty
Cons: new curriculum has completely removed live lectures starting from MS1 year, Did my post-bacc here and hated it, also racially profiled by the police during that time...

I'm so nervous about making the wrong decision that I've put deposits down at these schools (not required by Drexel, but I haven't withdrawn). I feel awful for keeping the spots, but I'm having a hard time weighing pros and cons. So any advice would be great! Also I'm a non-trad, mid-twenties applicant who went to an Ivy for undergrad purely because of the name and hated it...

Members don't see this ad.

1. What are your career goals?

2. Does each school have residency programs in specialties you are interested in?

3. How are the clinical years at each school?

4. How is the research at each school?