Medical How to choose between UVM Clinical Campus Selections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I recently interviewed at University of Vermont LCOM and they have you select between a Vermont and a Connecticut campus for clinical clerkships in years 3 and 4. I put below what UVM includes as the benefits of each location (Connecticut on the left and Vermont campus on the right). My question is how important is it to attend clerkship years at an academic medical center? Will having my clinical clerkships at a community teaching hospital be a setback? Connecticut appeals to me because of the location, but I want to get the best medical education possible. I would ideally apply to residency programs on the East Coast if that affects the answer to my question. Thank you.

Urban setting, diversity of languages, ethnoracial and socioeconomic backgroundsRural setting, small and mid-size cities, diversity of cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds
Close to beaches, hiking trails, rivers and parksMountain setting with access to lakes, rivers and many outdoor sports
35 medical students from each class83 medical students from each class
Medical students rotate through clinical clerkships in two community teaching hospitals in Norwalk and DanburyMedical students rotate through multiple hospitals in Vermont and upstate New York; including an academic medical center
Core clerkship rotationsCore clerkship rotations or Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship opportunities
Home of the Global Health ProgramGlobal health opportunities
Clinical research opportunitiesBasic science and clinical research opportunities
Proximity to New York Metro AreaProximity to Montreal, Canada
Intentional focus on community, public health and global healthMay apply for 12-month Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship
My question is how important is it to attend clerkship years at an academic medical center?

The only difference in my opinion is whether or not you will have a rotation at a location with an associated residency to essentially establish a "home program" for you in a sense and earn a letter from a program where people may also know who your letter writer(s) is(are). This is relative though.

Will having my clinical clerkships at a community teaching hospital be a setback?

Not necessarily. If they dont have a residency/residents, the only set back will be that you won't have FaceTime during that rotation for a given residency, but what you lack in that exposure sometimes gives you one and one time with an attending who will teach you more since there are no residents which may better prepare you for when you do aways. It's hit or miss in either scenario.

Connecticut appeals to me because of the location, but I want to get the best medical education possible.

So go to CT.

I would ideally apply to residency programs on the East Coast if that affects the answer to my question.

So go to CT.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.